Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TCFHE Press Release: The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008) (DVD/Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,545 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 07:07 AM

THE FATE OF THE WORLD HANGS IN THE BALANCE . . .

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL

Starring Keanu Reeves And Academy Awardâ Winner Jennifer Connelly,
The Ultimate Sci-Fi Action Event Beams Onto Blu-ray Disc And DVD April 7
>From Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment

For A Limited Time Includes The Original 1951 Classic Movie

CENTURY CITY, Calif. – Experience non-stop thrills, high-stakes action and mind-blowing special effects as mankind faces the fear of total annihilation when THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL arrives on Blu-ray Disc (BD) and DVD April 7 from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. And for a limited time, both the BD and DVD versions of the film are packaged with a copy of the 1951 classic that influenced generations of sci-fi enthusiasts, authors and filmmakers.

A contemporary reinvention of the original, THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL is an intense and electrifying drama centering on an imminent global catastrophe and one outsider’s determination to stop it. The action-packed thrill ride stars Keanu Reeves (Street Kings, The Matrix franchise) as Klaatu, a humanoid alien who comes to Earth to exterminate the human race before the planet succumbs to impending disaster. When the government responds with hostile force, the fate of humanity lies with a young scientist (Academy Award® winner* Jennifer Connelly; Blood Diamond, A Beautiful Mind) who must embark on a high-stakes mission to convince the entity that mankind is worth saving… before it is too late.

In addition to astonishing special effects – including the molecular destruction of Shea Stadium – THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL also features gripping performances from an all-star ensemble cast including Academy Award® winner** Kathy Bates (Misery), Jaden Smith (The Pursuit of Happyness), John Cleese (Die Another Day), Jon Hamm (“Mad Men”) and Kyle Chandler (“Friday Night Lights”).

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL Special Edition Blu-ray Disc and DVD, both with Digital Copy, are three-disc sets that include the 1951 version of the film, which was widely acclaimed as one of the most thought-provoking science-fiction films of all time. Both the BD and DVD are highlighted by out-of-this-world bonus features including deleted scenes, featurettes, picture-in-picture commentary, a “Build Your Own Gort” feature (BD-exclusive) and more. A two-disc version of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL is also available on DVD, featuring both 2008 and 1951 versions of the film.

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL three-disc Special Edition BD with Digital Copy will be available for the suggested retail price of $39.99 U.S. / $49.99 Canada; the Special Edition DVD with Digital Copy will be available for the suggested retail price of $34.98 U.S. / $45.98 Canada.

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL two-disc DVD will be available for the suggested retail price of $29.98 U.S. / $43.48 Canada. Prebook is March 11.

* 2002: Best Actress in a Supporting Role (A Beautiful Mind)
**1991: Best Actress in a Leading Role (Misery)

BLU-RAY DISC & DVD SPECIAL FEATURES:

Two-Disc DVD Features:
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL two-disc DVD is presented in widescreen format (2.35:1 aspect ratio) with English 5.1 Dolby Digital Sound and Spanish and French Dolby Surround with English, Spanish and French subtitles. Packaged with the original 1951 version of the film.

Special Edition Three-Disc DVD Features:
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL special edition DVD is presented in widescreen format (2.35:1 aspect ratio) with English 5.1 Dolby Digital Sound and Spanish and French Dolby Surround with English, Spanish and French subtitles. Packaged with the original 1951 version of the film.
Bonus features include:
· Deleted Scenes
· Re-Imagining “The Day” Featurette
· Unleashing Gort Featurette
· Watching The Skies: In Search Of Extraterrestrial Life Featurette
· The Day The Earth Was “Green” Featurette
· Commentary By Writer David Scarpa
· Still Galleries
o Concept Art
o Storyboards
o Production Photos
· The Day The Earth Stood Still Digital Copy for portable media players

Special Edition Blu-ray Three-Disc Features:
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL BD is presented in widescreen format (2.45:1 aspect ratio) with English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio and Spanish and French 5.1 Dolby Digital with English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Cantonese Korean and Mandarin subtitles. Packaged with the original 1951 version of the film.
Bonus features include those above plus the following:
· Klaatu’s Unseen Artifacts: The Day The Earth Stood Still Picture-In-Picture Track
· “Build Your Own GORT,” BD-Java Game

Synopsis:
Epic action and mind-blowing effects rock the planet in this thrilling reinvention of the sci-fi classic, THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. Keanu Reeves portrays Klaatu, an otherworldly being whose arrival on Earth triggers an unstoppable series of events that threaten all of mankind. In a desperate attempt to save humanity, governments and scientists race to unravel the mystery behind the visitor’s appearance. When a woman (Jennifer Connelly) and her young stepson find themselves embroiled in the alien’s plan, they become the world’s only hope to stave off apocalyptic annihilation.

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
Street Date: April 7, 2009
Prebook Date: March 11, 2009
Price: $29.98 U.S. / $43.48 Canada (Two-Disc DVD)
$34.98 U.S. / $45.98 Canada (Three-Disc Special Edition DVD with Digital Copy)
$39.99 U.S. / $49.99 Canada (Three-Disc BD with Digital Copy)
Catalog Number: 2256968 (Two-Disc DVD)
2256966 (Three-Disc Special Edition DVD with Digital Copy)
2256980 (Three-Disc Special Edition BD with Digital Copy)
U.S. Rating: PG-13
Total Run Time: 105 minutes
Closed Captioned: Yes

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 34 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,681 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 08:47 AM

Ron, I'm a little confused on one thing. Posted Image Is the original 1951 classic Blu-ray attached or just the dvd? Thanks!

#3 of 34 OFFLINE   MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover
Ron, I'm a little confused on one thing. Posted Image Is the original 1951 classic Blu-ray attached or just the dvd? Thanks!

I think it is blu-ray, for limited time, as I read somewhere else..

Marek

#4 of 34 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 11:10 AM

Ha, ha!!
They are using the '51 too help sell the '08.
Too bad the '51 is already on BD.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,148 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted February 10 2009 - 12:02 PM

I'd say they're using the remake to get rid of copies of the original that didn't sell.

#6 of 34 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott
I'd say they're using the remake to get rid of copies of the original that didn't sell.
So your sure the included '51 disc will be the exact same as the single title '51 release?
(special features & all)
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,148 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted February 10 2009 - 05:26 PM

Sorry Ed, my comment didn't have any knowledge behind it. At another board it was reported that the original didn't sell too well so that's where my comment was coming from.

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   LarryH

LarryH

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed St. Clair
Ha, ha!!
They are using the '51 too help sell the '08.
Too bad the '51 is already on BD.

This would be quite a slap in the face to those of us who bought the '51 version BD if they don't make provision for a rebate! If they do throw in a 'free' copy of the '51 version with no compensation, I will not be purchasing the new version. I didn't really like it all that much, anyhow. A good excuse not to purchase their premium-priced version, anyway. (I don't explain my logic - I just apply it!)

#9 of 34 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted February 11 2009 - 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryH
This would be quite a slap in the face to those of us who bought the '51 version BD if they don't make provision for a rebate!

Nah, I'm not going to sweat it. I'm going to be thankful I can own the original without having to have the piece of crap remake in my collection. Now that's looking on the bright side! Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 02:39 PM

Does anyone have details about the 1951 version in this set? Best Buy states that it is Blu-Ray. But does it have all of the features from the previous release? I was waiting for the original to go on sale (and probably skip the new one), but I would go for a two-fer if it's the complete disk from the earlier release of the 1951 version.

But, although this is good for me (and anyone else that still hasn't purchased the 1951 version), I think it is a really stinky thing to do to your customers. Hopefully there will be some relief to those that have already bought it.

#11 of 34 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted April 06 2009 - 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Eddie
Does anyone have details about the 1951 version in this set? Best Buy states that it is Blu-Ray. But does it have all of the features from the previous release? I was waiting for the original to go on sale (and probably skip the new one), but I would go for a two-fer if it's the complete disk from the earlier release of the 1951 version.

But, although this is good for me (and anyone else that still hasn't purchased the 1951 version), I think it is a really stinky thing to do to your customers. Hopefully there will be some relief to those that have already bought it.

I've read elsewhere that the 1951 version is barebones.

#12 of 34 OFFLINE   Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted April 06 2009 - 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams
I've read elsewhere that the 1951 version is barebones.

Wow. Just....wow. That's even worse.

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,382 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted April 06 2009 - 03:49 AM

I've already purchased the original and haven't seen the remake, though I understand it's a stinker. I'll rent it first.

The way I look at this is this is a good opportunity for people who wouldn't think of watching an old black and white movie to give it a try. If 1 out of 10 buyers of the remake become fans of the original, that would be great.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,537 posts

Posted April 06 2009 - 05:11 PM

Maybe they are including the 1951 original to help sales of the 2008 version?

I just saw a TV commercial for this set and I didn't know that the BD disc includes the 1951 original and that was upsetting as I own the 1951 version on BD already. I was upset because I was thinking of making a blind buy and getting the 2008 disc out of curiosity to see how bad it really is.

How bad is it?

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted April 07 2009 - 02:28 AM

I'm planning to pick it up at Best Buy in order to get the Gort figure (I collect that sort of thing). But I think they really kind of screwed up with this.

I have waited to get the original because I am waiting for a good sale price (it seems that Amazon has EVERYTHING for $14.99 eventually). But now I am going to have a barebones version of the 1951 film. So, do I then buy a release version to get the special features (that I wait as much as the film)?

I think a better move would have been for them to include a coupon ($10?) for the original (as well as a rebate to current owners of the original).

But then I'm not paid to make those decisions.

#16 of 34 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,382 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted April 07 2009 - 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Au
Maybe they are including the 1951 original to help sales of the 2008 version?

I just saw a TV commercial for this set and I didn't know that the BD disc includes the 1951 original and that was upsetting as I own the 1951 version on BD already. I was upset because I was thinking of making a blind buy and getting the 2008 disc out of curiosity to see how bad it really is.

How bad is it?

Quote:
I'm planning to pick it up at Best Buy in order to get the Gort figure (I collect that sort of thing). But I think they really kind of screwed up with this.

I have waited to get the original because I am waiting for a good sale price (it seems that Amazon has EVERYTHING for $14.99 eventually). But now I am going to have a barebones version of the 1951 film. So, do I then buy a release version to get the special features (that I wait as much as the film)?

I think a better move would have been for them to include a coupon ($10?) for the original (as well as a rebate to current owners of the original).

But then I'm not paid to make those decisions.

Unless you think the studio is jacking up the price to include the original in this issue, how does the inclusion of the original in the release of the remake harm you? Amazon is charging $25 for it right now and I've seen many a bad movie cost more.

If it is true, and I don't think it's confirmed, that the original is bare-bones, than buy the original. If you want the remake, buy it. And unless you think the price of the remake was increased to include the original, you haven't spent more than if the studio had not included the original.

Since I think that 9 out of 10 buyers of the remake aren't interested in the original, it would be poor marketing to charge more for it. Also note that the original with the extras is one disc (I own it). The studio would have to reauthor the disc to produce a bare-bones version. I'll bet this included original has the extras. I'm surprised someone on the HTF hasn't already posted what is on the disc.

Update:Over at the AVS forum a poster is stating that the original is bare-bones.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted April 07 2009 - 03:51 AM

I never said they were harming me. If anything, I implied that I thought TCFHE was harming themselves. Just my opinion.

I think this was a missed opportunity to increase sales of the original version by providing an incentive to buy it with the new version. Instead, they have given consumers an incentive NOT to buy both versions.

I just think TCFHE made a mistake (but I don't take it personally).

#18 of 34 OFFLINE   PatW

PatW

Screenwriter

• 1,538 posts

Posted April 07 2009 - 06:12 AM

Well I just received this movie in the mail. I just popped in Disc 3 which is the 1951 version and it is barebones. I've always been meaning to pick it up on blu-ray, so it is a nice bonus even without the special features.

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   ATimson

ATimson

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted April 07 2009 - 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell
Also note that the original with the extras is one disc (I own it). The studio would have to reauthor the disc to produce a bare-bones version. I'll bet this included original has the extras. I'm surprised someone on the HTF hasn't already posted what is on the disc.

Update:Over at the AVS forum a poster is stating that the original is bare-bones.
My guess (having neither disc in hand!) is that the original with features is a BD-50, while the bare-bones version is only a BD-25.
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
--Brendan Moody

#20 of 34 OFFLINE   SteveJKo

SteveJKo

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted April 08 2009 - 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell
I've already purchased the original and haven't seen the remake, though I understand it's a stinker. I'll rent it first...

Johnny, friends brought the remake over last night. Believe me when I tell you that "stinker" would be an improvement. It was also the first blu-ray to truly not impress me with it's audio/video presentation.
You're In The Show With Todd-AO!

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow