Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

SPHE Press Release: Nickelodeon & The Last Picture Show Double Feature

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,517 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 02:08 AM

From Academy Award® Nominated Director Peter Bogdanovich NICKELODEON & THE LAST PICTURE SHOW DOUBLE FEATURE Nickelodeon on DVD for the First Time: Includes both the Color and the Black & White Director’s Cut! Starring Burt Reynolds, Ryan O’Neal, Jeff Bridges, Cybill Shepherd and Academy Award® Winners Cloris Leachman and Ben Johnson Coming to DVD on April 21, 2009 Culver City, CA (February 9, 2009) – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is honored to present two classic films from Academy Award® nominee Peter Bogdanovich (1972, Best Director; Best Adapted Screenplay The Last Picture Show) on a brand-new two disc DVD set. The Last Picture Show features the director’s cut of this landmark film, while Nickelodeon is presented in the original color version and, for the first time ever, the black and white Director’s Cut. The Nickelodeon/The Last Picture Show Double Feature will be available on April 21, 2009 for an SLP of $24.96. New special features on the DVD set will include commentary tracks by Bogdanovich on both films and a new interview with the director about The Last Picture Show. Nickelodeon is Peter Bogdanovich’s tribute to the “wildcat” pioneers of the silent film industry who had inspired him in his own career. The film stars Academy Award® winner Tatum O’Neal (1974 Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Paper Moon, TV’s “Rescue Me”), Academy Award® nominees Ryan O’Neal (1971 Best Actor in a Leading Role, Love Story) and Burt Reynolds (1998 Best Actor in a Supporting Role Boogie Nights) and Emmy® winner John Ritter (1984 Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series, “Three’s Company”). Based on Larry McMurty’s evocative novel, The Last Picture Show is a surprisingly frank and bittersweet drama of social and sexual mores in small-town Texas. The film was nominated for eight Academy Awards® and Cloris Leachman and Ben Johnson won the Best Supporting Actor/Actress categories. The Last Picture Show also stars Cybill Shepherd (TV’s “Cybill”), Academy Award® nominees Jeff Bridges (1972 Best Actor in a Supporting Role, The Last Picture Show), Randy Quaid (1974 Best Actor in a Supporting Role, The Last Detail) and Eileen Brennan (1982, Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Private Benjamin) and Academy Award® winner Ellen Burstyn (1975, Best Actress in a Leading Role, Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore). Burstyn was also nominated for Best Actress in a Supporting Role for her part in The Last Picture Show. Synopses Nickelodeon Burt Reynolds and Ryan O’Neal star in this heartfelt valentine to the early days of moviemaking. O’Neal is the film director who literally stumbles into his job, and Reynolds is an overnight screen hero. Based on actual reminiscences of such veteran directors as Raoul Walsh and Allan Dwan. The Last Picture Show Brilliant study of life in a small Texas town during the 1950’s, and how characters’ lives intertwine. The story, based on Larry McMurty’s novel, follows the exploits of two high school football stars. Oscars® went to Ben Johnson and Cloris Leachman for their sensitive performances. DVD BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE: Both the Color and the Black and White Director’s Cut of Nickelodeon Director’s Cut of The Last Picture Show New Audio Commentary with Peter Bogdanovich on both films New interview with Bogdanovich for The Last Picture Show The Last Picture Show Theatrical Re-release Featurette “The Last Picture Show: A Look Back” Documentary The Last Picture Show was directed by Peter Bogdanovich, from a screenplay by Bogdanovich and Larry McMurty, adapted from McMurty’s novel of the same name. The film stars Jeff Bridges, Timothy Bottoms, Randy Quaid, Cloris Leachman, Ellen Burstyn, Cybill Shepherd and Ben Johnson. Produced by Stephen J. Friedman. Nickelodeon was directed by Peter Bogdanovich, from a screenplay by Bogdanovich and W. D. Richter. The film stars Ryan O’Neal, Burt Reynolds, Tatum O’Neal, John Ritter, Brian Keith, Stella Stevens and Harry Carey. "Academy Award®" and "Oscar®" are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. NICKELODEON/THE LAST PICTURE SHOW 2-DISC DVD DVD Catalog #: 29946 DVD UPC Code: 0-43396-29946-7 DVD Order Date: 03/19/09 DVD SLP: $24.96 The Last Picture Show Running Time 126 minutes (director’s cut) The Last Picture Show Rating R for sexuality, nudity and language Nickelodeon Running Time 121 minutes Nickelodeon Rating PG

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 03:28 AM

HUGE NEWS!!!! NICKELODEON deserves a rediscovery. Great to read this.

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 04:39 AM

So is this the NEW Trend at SONY? - releasing two new to DVD movies in one package (A Matter of LIfe and Death and now Nickelodeon )

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 06:38 AM

What studio owns Bogdanovich's AT LONG LAST LOVE?

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 07:23 AM

FOX - I heard rumors it was coming out last year but nothing else

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 11:15 AM

Quite the decent thing to do - I will definitely double dip on this title.

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,374 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 03:50 PM

I had hoped LAST PICTURE SHOW would turn up as a Blu-ray. No?

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   TonyDale

TonyDale

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 04:54 AM

I had hoped that THE LAST PICTURE SHOW would have its theatrical version. . .
We are just surrealist pilgrims, melting clocks in marble halls. . .

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   Karl R

Karl R

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 08:26 AM

But in that case, it was two unreleased Powell films. Though I'm not happy about the unwanted double-dip, I'll still pick this one and tell myself the extra $5 MSRP is for the B&W director's cut.

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   Don May Jr

Don May Jr

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 04:25 PM

Let's hope that THE LAST PICTURE SHOW transfer is the newer one they've been showing on HD cable channels and not just a port of the old disc. The old DVD transfer wasn't all that great. The newer HD transfer I saw of TLPS was a huge improvement in quality. (fingers crossed)
Kindest Regards,

Don May, Jr. - President, Synapse Films
http://www.synapse-films.com

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 08:47 PM

What are the differences between the Director's Cut and the Theatrical Release versions of 'The Last Picture Show'? I'm not sure that I was aware of a director's cut of this movie. Which version was released on the original DVD?
Bruce Morrison

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   Karl R

Karl R

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 09:07 PM

The 1999 Columbia TriStar DVD refers to itself as the "Definitive Director's Cut," with a running time of 126 min. (Sorry, I cannot tell you what editorial changes Bogdanovich made.)

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,158 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 09:25 PM

The most striking addition to THE LAST PICTURE SHOW is a pool-table ravishing of Cybill Shepherd by Clu Gulager. I don't recall the other material.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted February 11 2009 - 03:02 AM

Is this the third in the series that includes the Boetticher (sp?) set and Powell set??
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted February 11 2009 - 10:14 AM

I did not realize there was a B/W version of Nickelodeon. I'll get this even though I already have Last Picture Show.

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   TonyDale

TonyDale

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted February 11 2009 - 02:27 PM

The director's cut, in addition to the pool table scene, deletes all of the male full-frontal nudity. . .I'm just sayin'. . .
We are just surrealist pilgrims, melting clocks in marble halls. . .

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   cadavra

cadavra

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted February 12 2009 - 08:32 AM

It's not just in B&W; Peter re-edited the film as well to bring it closer to what he originally envisioned. There are actually three cuts of LPS; this is the third and final version. Mike S.

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,225 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted April 21 2009 - 06:59 AM

I just received this from Sony today, and will try to at least get up some first impressions tonight.
Rich Gallagher

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   Don May Jr

Don May Jr

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted April 21 2009 - 09:24 AM

Gads... I'm quoting and responding to my own post, but I just got the NICKELODEON/THE LAST PICTURE SHOW double-feature DVD and... yep... THE LAST PICTURE SHOW is a new transfer! The "bumps" at the scene changes that plagued the last release are no longer there and the image is sharper and, seemingly, has a nicer grain structure without smoothing and removing it entirely. It seems to be a standard-def version of the newer HD version I saw broadcast recently. Maybe a BD is coming? I hope so... I'll still buy it again! I love this movie. The framing of this newer version of TLPS seems almost identical to the previous release.
Kindest Regards,

Don May, Jr. - President, Synapse Films
http://www.synapse-films.com

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   Robert Fielder

Robert Fielder

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted April 21 2009 - 10:57 AM

Oh wow, i completely missed the original announcement for this. I caught Nickelodeon on TV years back and absolutely loved it, so I'll be happy to pick this up.