Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Paramount to release 1st season of "CSI" on May 12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 01:44 AM

Quote:
Paramount Home Entertainment has announced that they will bring 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: The First Season' to Blu-ray on May 12th. This highly popular television series, currently in its ninth season, has spawned numerous spin-offs and garnished a loyal fan base. Technical specs have yet to be announced, though early indication is that this release will receive a 7.1 Dolby TrueHD soundtrack.

Special features have also not been announced at this time.
Blu-ray.com - Season One of CSI Coming to Blu-ray
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 965 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 02:48 AM

That is great news. I'm a huge fan of the show but for one reason or another I never collected it on DVD. Hopefully this will now open the floodgates and CSI: Miami, CSI: New York and maybe even NCIS (different studio, I know) get a release on BD.

I'm also surprised they're doing it from S1 onwards rather than just releasing the latest season.Posted Image

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,567 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 09 2009 - 03:13 AM

And the season one set of CSI on DVD was atrocious. 4:3 as I recall rather than 1.78:1 anamorphic transfers.

CSI was the primary reason I wanted to buy my first HDTV, so this is great news. If it's not too outrageously priced, I'd love to replace my abysmal season one set.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 05:01 AM

Interesting release strategy starting off with season 1 and I like it. I never bought any of the DVD releases even though I religiously watched the show up until the recent cast changes. Now I really don't watch it anymore unless I happen to catch it.
With them starting off at the beginning, I can essentially rewatch episodes that I haven't seen in years and most likely I won't remember much about them.

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 05:02 AM

More info (emphasis mine):
Quote:
CSI: Season One on Blu-ray will be presented in 1.78:1 1080p video and 7.1 Dolby TrueHD audio -- a step up from the 5.1 channels Dexter is offering.
There will likely be, at minimum, all the bonus features from the previously released DVD set. Paramount and CBS have yet to share the list of extras at this time.
CSI's Next Stop is on Blu-ray | HDR TheHDRoom
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 08:03 PM

HELL YEAH!

It's about damn time!

Saw season 1 reruns in HD (caught it from the beginning, oddly on the same damn day I broke down and bought the 4:3 DVD set) and it was fantastic. Never did watch that set and this was back in December of 2006.

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 01:30 AM

Never did watch any of the original CSI so this is good news. If the price is right, I'll be picking it up. Posted Image
Recently watched- Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart, Tomb Of Ligeia

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 01:53 AM

C.S.I. DVD news: Update about C.S.I. - The 1st Season Blu-ray | TVShowsOnDVD.com

YIKES! Take a look at that S.R.P. (almost $100)!!
It does look like a good release with exclusive content and 1080p widescreen but even if Amazon has this for around $70, that's too much for one season.

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 13 2009 - 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale MA
Hopefully this will now open the floodgates and CSI: Miami, CSI: New York and maybe even NCIS (different studio, I know) get a release on BD.
NCIS is from Paramount Network Television. What made you think it was a different studio?
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 06:55 AM

There's no way they'll hold to that $100 shocker SRP price.

This needs to be about $39.95 at retail, tops.

People are aware the show has, what, like ten seasons already? People will quickly calculate $75 (on Amazon) x 10 = $750. They'll decide not to get on that train.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,166 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 13 2009 - 07:18 AM

That won't happen for a looooong time, Will.

The price on the SD version of Season 1 dropped just a year or two ago to get people sucked into the idea of buying the other SD sets which are still very highly priced.

It's Paramount and a very popular show. And, an hour-long highly-produced drama to boot.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw
C.S.I. DVD news: Update about C.S.I. - The 1st Season Blu-ray | TVShowsOnDVD.com

YIKES! Take a look at that S.R.P. (almost $100)!!
It does look like a good release with exclusive content and 1080p widescreen but even if Amazon has this for around $70, that's too much for one season.
Interestingly enough, Amazon seems to be selling it at $63, which one could lock into if they pre-ordered, with a lower price if Paramount changes it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_B
There's no way they'll hold to that $100 shocker SRP price.

This needs to be about $39.95 at retail, tops.
Paramount is selling season sets of the DVDs (at Amazon prices) at $15 for the 1st season to $42 for most of the other seasons. Realistically, we could see a $50 Amazon price point for the BD of later seasons. Dunno why it's so high for the 1st.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   PerryD

PerryD

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow
Paramount is selling season sets of the DVDs (at Amazon prices) at $15 for the 1st season to $42 for most of the other seasons. Realistically, we could see a $50 Amazon price point for the BD of later seasons. Dunno why it's so high for the 1st.
I remember passing on the first season on DVD because it wasn't widescreen, and the discounted price was around $40 at the time, so $60 for a high def version isn't outrageous for 20 hours of high def content.

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 01:23 PM

Ok, $55 tops then. Same as "Lost" on BluRay -- another hour long drama.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,166 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 13 2009 - 01:34 PM

I tell ya...I hope I'm wrong. Season 1 in HD OAR will rock.

But I was just noticing at an FYE today (which, always has extremely high prices on new product) that CSI: Season 8 was still $89.99! Posted Image I know there are sometimes deals to be had...but I don't think I've seen Season 8 yet much under $60.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 03:07 PM

Wow, that's strange. Here in Canada I don't see the sets for more than $50 before taxes. $45.99 or so tops.

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,309 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 13 2009 - 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
But I was just noticing at an FYE today (which, always has extremely high prices on new product) that CSI: Season 8 was still $89.99! Posted Image
Yeah, that's why I'm not surprised to see that the Blu-rays are going to be expensive too. It seems like Paramount has relatively normal prices on everything but CSI and Star Trek.

Quote:
I know there are sometimes deals to be had...but I don't think I've seen Season 8 yet much under $60.
I picked it up at Target a few weeks ago for $45 or $40.

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,166 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 13 2009 - 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
I picked it up at Target a few weeks ago for $45 or $40.

Man...I gotta start paying more attention to software prices! Posted Image

Honestly, I don't know how that one got by me. $40 for the latest season of CSI is a GREAT price.

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 04:11 PM

I don't care if this Blu-ray is $100, I MUST have it.

The image will be stunning, guaranteed, and it'll be very interesting to hear real 7.1 surround. I'd have to hook up two more speakers for it.

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 14 2009 - 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Martin
Wow, that's strange. Here in Canada I don't see the sets for more than $50 before taxes. $45.99 or so tops.
Different distributor. Alliance is a co-producer on CSI and therefore holds the Canadian distribution rights.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow