-

Photo

More Warner Director Showcase releases - 26th May

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 12:27 AM

Lookin' to Get Out (Director's Cut)
Revolution Revisited (Director's Cut)
Beyond Rangoon
Zabriskie Point (Yay!)
M. Butterfly

RRP $19.97 each

DVD Times - Directors’ Showcase: Take Four (R1) in May

#2 of 16 Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 12:32 AM

Zabriskie Point is probably the only title I will end up buying.

I wish it had some extras, but I am just happy it is finally coming out.

#3 of 16 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay E
Zabriskie Point is probably the only title I will end up buying.

I wish it had some extras, but I am just happy it is finally coming out.
It will probably be the best version. The French Warner version is widescreen but non-anamorphic.
Zabriskie Point Antonioni

#4 of 16 Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig

Second Unit

• 437 posts
  • LocationWeehawken, NJ

Posted February 09 2009 - 06:42 AM

"Zabriskie Point", at long last!

Now if only we can get the movie that's pictured in Jay E's signature, "The Devils".

#5 of 16 PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 09:16 AM

Great news about M. Butterfly - I think the last unreleased Cronenberg film on DVD.

#6 of 16 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 09:30 AM

Revolution and Beyond Rangoon are under-rated and over-looked films. The former is a historically intelligent and the latter is typical John Boorman, which means brilliant, and a wise depiction of then current events. Region 1 releases are most welcome.

I almost bought the French DVD of Zabriskie Point last week, but amazonfrance temporarily sold out. Now I read there's going to be a region 1 release, and I can wait. This is turning out to be a good time for fans of Michelangelo Antonio. In the U.K., Eureko Video has announced its restoration of Il Grido in its Masters of Cinema series for May 25, which should make the inferior Kino DVD obsolete. Last October, the BFI released a definitive edition of Red Desert in DVD and Blu-ray in region 2. Also last year in region 2, Eureka released a definitive edition of La Notte in the Masters of Cinema series, and Mr. Bongo Films released a respectable transfer of Identification of A Woman. Combine these with the Criterion DVD's of his other films and we now have a complete collection of Antonioni except for 1 film, I think. All of which makes this Antonioni fan very happy.

The Red Desert [Blu-ray] [1964]: Richard Harris, Monica Vitti, Michelangelo Antonioni: Amazon.co.uk: DVD

The Red Desert [1964]: Richard Harris, Monica Vitti, Michelangelo Antonioni: Amazon.co.uk: DVD

Identification Of A Woman - Michelangelo Antonioni [1982]: Michelangelo Antonioni: Amazon.co.uk: DVD

La Notte [Masters of Cinema] [1961]: Michelangelo Antonioni: Amazon.co.uk: DVD

I will post a link for Il Grido when it turns up.

#7 of 16 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Howson
Beyond Rangoon
Zabriskie Point (Yay!)
M. Butterfly

Splendid news!

Very glad I held off on Zabriskie Point and it will be a pleasure to dispose of my laserdisc of M. Butterfly.

#8 of 16 Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,190 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 12:45 PM

Wow, I honestly thought I'd never see Beyond Rangoon on DVD. I guess it's true that all good things come to those who wait. I'm also surprised but pleased to see Revolution which is often unfairly maligned. It's a fine film but Al Pacino's performance is pretty lousy and he is miscast and I think that's where most of the antipathy toward the film lies, Pacino ... and not the film itself.

#9 of 16 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,947 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 09 2009 - 12:50 PM

Yes, but you can't blame it all on Pacino. Nastassja Kinski was pretty wretched as well.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#10 of 16 Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,144 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 04:12 PM

Wow! A director's cut of LOOKING TO GET OUT! I'm impressed! Especially since it could have been lost were it not for the passion of Jon Voight.

A similar restoration is possible for another badly-edited film in WB's library: James Bridges' MIKE'S MURDER. Bridges longtime companion, Jack Larson, has told me that his original "flashback" cut of the film still exists in storage, and I think this would be an excellent candidate for "Take 5" of this series. Can a moderator help me on how to get word to WB? I would have thought since Larson did so much work for them on the SUPERMAN releases it would be easy to put them in touch, but so far nothing has moved.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#11 of 16 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas T
... I'm also surprised but pleased to see Revolution which is often unfairly maligned. It's a fine film but Al Pacino's performance is pretty lousy and he is miscast and I think that's where most of the antipathy toward the film lies, Pacino ... and not the film itself.
Perhaps it's time to take another look at Pacino's performance. Emotionally he's doing all the right things. I think there are definitely problems in how Revolution is directed and in how Pacino's character is written. He is required to speak some awkward dialogue amidst long takes of vaguely-defined scenes. And yet it's a very compelling film, and a visuall feast for the eyes.

The reinstated footage is going to be very interesting.

#12 of 16 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 02:25 AM

I also have to say it was Kinski even more than Pacino who ruined REVOLUTION.

Plus, there was the look of the film. While at times stunning, here was a film about the American Revolution that was obviously not even filmed in America.

As a big history buff, I couldn't wait to see it. Yet, I pretty much hated the film.

That said, I am glad to see the DVD release and will give it another shot.

As for MIKE'S MURDER, I'd also love to see the original cut of the film.

#13 of 16 Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,088 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 04:58 AM

M. Butterfly and Zabriskie Point? Did hell freeze over? Now my only real WB want is THE DEVILS.

#14 of 16 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,087 posts

Posted February 12 2009 - 04:45 PM

But, as truly happy as I am about this announcement, wasn't BEYOND RANGOON a Columbia release? How did Warner Bros. get it for DVD release? I guess I'll never keep up with the constant shuffle of rights from one place to another...

#15 of 16 Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,144 posts

Posted February 12 2009 - 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
But, as truly happy as I am about this announcement, wasn't BEYOND RANGOON a Columbia release? How did Warner Bros. get it for DVD release? I guess I'll never keep up with the constant shuffle of rights from one place to another...

BEYOND RANGOON was fully financed and produced by Castle Rock, which was acquired by Turner and eventually folded into WB. As such, except for the earliest Castle Rock productions like MISERY and CITY SLICKERS, which were co-financed with the former Nelson Entertainment (which are owned by MGM) and A FEW GOOD MEN and IN THE LINE OF FIRE, where Columbia had an equity stake, all Castle Rock productions are now controlled by WB.

In less-publicized news, WB has been quietly reissuing Largo Entertainment productions previously released by Fox and Universal - TIMECOP with Jean Claude Van Damme is scheduled for a double-feature release with BLOODSPORT.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#16 of 16 Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 09:09 AM

Beyond Rangoon!

The Zimmer scored catalogue is getting there.

How about on BRD?

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow