Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Okay, Mr. Spielberg, we think you're wonderful, BUT...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#1 of 62 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,976 posts

Posted February 07 2009 - 06:31 PM

...what is this apparently idiotic strategy you have yet again imposed (having used it with standard DVD some years ago) that now holds up the release of your films on Blu-ray? Only the movies Lucas controls (RAIDERS SERIES) or ones which are out of your hands (CLOSE ENCOUNTERS) have shown up up or are rumored for release. The same reasoning for the earlier dearth is being used again: you want greater saturation of the new format before licensing your movies for release. Look, Mr. Spielberg, it should be blatantly clear to you that greater market saturation of Blu-ray would indisputably occur BECAUSE of the release of your Universal and Dreamworks titles. Let's get the horse in front of the cart this time! People who have held back investing in the format will in the countless thousands pay the price in order to see JURASSIC PARK and JAWS and SCHINDLER'S LIST and WAR OF THE WORLDS and E.T., etc. etc. in high definition. You have the ability all by yourself to jump-start Blu-ray again in a sinking economy...are you going to keep sitting on your gold mine?

#2 of 62 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,156 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 07 2009 - 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
...what is this apparently idiotic strategy you have yet again imposed (having used it with standard DVD some years ago) that now holds up the release of your films on Blu-ray? Only the movies Lucas controls (RAIDERS SERIES) or ones which are out of your hands (CLOSE ENCOUNTERS) have shown up up or are rumored for release. The same reasoning for the earlier dearth is being used again: you want greater saturation of the new format before licensing your movies for release. Look, Mr. Spielberg, it should be blatantly clear to you that greater market saturation of Blu-ray would indisputably occur BECAUSE of the release of your Universal and Dreamworks titles. Let's get the horse in front of the cart this time! People who have held back investing in the format will in the countless thousands pay the price in order to see JURASSIC PARK and JAWS and SCHINDLER'S LIST and WAR OF THE WORLDS and E.T., etc. etc. in high definition. You have the ability all by yourself to jump-start Blu-ray again in a sinking economy...are you going to keep sitting on your gold mine?
The Blu-ray penetration doesn't need a jump start, it's the SD DVD market in which sales have declined.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 62 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,419 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted February 07 2009 - 09:27 PM

I would kill for a decent SE of 1941, but I guess I'm in a minority here.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#4 of 62 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,905 posts

Posted February 07 2009 - 09:38 PM

I echo Crawdaddy's reply.

It's all about market penetration.

Why would Spielberg want his blockbuster movies releases to
a market that is still very young and has limited penetration?
Nobody wants to release "Jurassic Park" and have it sell a limited
amount of copies versus another few years when it will sell more
than twice that amount.

This is the same reason why will not see "Star Wars" out on the format
for a good number of years.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 62 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,080 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted February 07 2009 - 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Me too!
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#6 of 62 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted February 08 2009 - 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson

I must be in the same minority. One of the funniest movies ever made! Incidentally, Universal controls 1941 so it would be up to them, not Spielberg, to release it on blu-ray.

I'm not sure why anyone would blame Spielberg for wanting to maximize his profits. After all he is in the movie business, not the blu-ray business.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#7 of 62 TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,006 posts

Posted February 08 2009 - 01:07 AM

there are some rumors that the first 3 indiana jones movies might be out in bluray later this year. the digital bits reported this a while back.

Jacob

#8 of 62 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted February 08 2009 - 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat
there are some rumors that the first 3 indiana jones movies might be out in bluray later this year. the digital bits reported this a while back.

Jacob

That would be Mr. Lucas rather than Mr. Spielberg.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#9 of 62 Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted February 08 2009 - 01:30 AM

Where did he state that he wasn't releasing them for this reason? For instance, in 1997 when DVD was very young, "Men in Black" was announced for release and then pulled from the schedule at Mr. Spielberg's behest (it's an Amblin title). However, that film came out on Blu-Ray this summer to tie into "Hancock." It just seems to me that he doesn't want to dump all of his films on the market in one lump, but like is standard for releasing catalog titles they'll come out when there's a tie-in they can market them with, i.e. anniversary year as was the case with "Close Enounters," sequel, etc.

#10 of 62 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,456 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted February 08 2009 - 05:38 AM

Yeah! Spielberg needs to get off his lazy butt and get his movies on BluRay without any careful preparation in remastering or extras so we can have it now.

#11 of 62 Alex cosmo

Alex cosmo

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted February 08 2009 - 06:00 AM

Is it just me or is it starting to feel like Spielberg's movies don't even have that kind of mega Disney-type sales potential anyway? Has Jurassic Park or Jaws been particularly huge on dvd? just curious.

#12 of 62 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted February 08 2009 - 06:09 AM

I think there has been 3 different DVD releases of Jaws in the last 10 years so yeah, it sells pretty well...

#13 of 62 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,072 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 08 2009 - 06:48 AM

Technically, Universal could release his films without his say, but they aren't stupid: if you have a working relationship you don't piss off Spielberg.

Here's how his films breakdown per studio (by date of release). Films already released on BD are italicized:

DreamWorks

Amistad (1997)
Saving Private Ryan (1998)
A.I.: Artificial Intelligence (2001)
Minority Report (2002)
Catch Me If You Can (2002)
The Terminal (2004)
War of the Worlds (2005)
Munich (2005)

Paramount

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)

Sony

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
Hook (1991)

Universal

Duel (1971)
The Sugarland Express (1974)
Jaws (1975)
1941 (1979)
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
Always (1989)
Jurassic Park (1993)
Schindler's List (1993)
The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)

Warner

Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983)
The Color Purple (1985)
Empire of the Sun (1987)

Alright, so what do we see?

Well, the most obvious thing is that the films Spielberg has the least control over (Indiana Jones (Lucas), Sony, Warner) are only being held up by their respective studios. In other words, we'll see Hook, The Color Purple and Empire of the Sun when Sony and Warner want us to, and we already know that Lucas plans to release the Indiana Jones films in the Fall.

Everything else is either directly controlled by Spielberg (DreamWorks), or indirectly (Universal). My general feeling is that we'll see these starting to get released if Spielberg is happy with the sales of the catalog Indiana Jones films later this year.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#14 of 62 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted February 08 2009 - 07:20 AM

Very nice post, thank you Brandon.

#15 of 62 David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted February 08 2009 - 07:29 AM

Jeez, Brandon...

You must have one of those CIA, big book of facts.

#16 of 62 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,072 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 08 2009 - 09:08 AM

Nah. Just imdb.com. Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#17 of 62 Mr. Film

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted February 08 2009 - 10:32 AM

I want Speilburg's films out as much as everyone but, I don't want them all comeing out at one time. I think that it would be a good idea to start releasing his lesser known films mid '09 and work up to having the bigger one's released. I think it would be nice to expect Jurassic Park and Jaws by this time next year.
"As soon as television became the only secondary way in which films were watched, films had to adhere to a pretty linear system, whereby you can drift off for ten minutes and go and answer the phone and not really lose your place."
-Christopher Nolan

#18 of 62 Mr. Film

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted February 08 2009 - 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McCart
Yeah! Spielberg needs to get off his lazy butt and get his movies on BluRay without any careful preparation in remastering or extras so we can have it now.

Very harsh dude. Speilburg is not lazy by any means.
"As soon as television became the only secondary way in which films were watched, films had to adhere to a pretty linear system, whereby you can drift off for ten minutes and go and answer the phone and not really lose your place."
-Christopher Nolan

#19 of 62 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,423 posts

Posted February 08 2009 - 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan54
Very harsh dude. Speilburg is not lazy by any means.
I think you missed the point of his post.

#20 of 62 Mr. Film

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted February 08 2009 - 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR
I think you missed the point of his post.

Oh yeah. I Read it again, your right.Posted Image
-Christopher Nolan

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow