-

Photo

"X-Men" trilogy re-release

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted February 05 2009 - 04:23 PM

Well since all The Digital Bits ever talks about is Blu-Ray material and rarely goes into standard DVD any more, the recent announcement of the re-release of the "X-Men" trilogy raised a question.

"X-Men 3: The Last Stand" is a 2 disc set in the BR box and as we all know, the original release on DVD was just a single disc SO.......I'm assuming the re-releases are all on standard DVD as well so is it safe to assume that part 3 is getting a 2 disc set for regular DVD as well or is this a BR exclusive?

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,127 posts

Posted February 05 2009 - 04:43 PM

I've heard that the trilogy set (which I assume is going to be 1.5, the original 2-disc of X2, and this new SE of Last Stand) is also going to be released in SD.

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Colby

Colby

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted February 05 2009 - 07:32 PM

I just came here after reading the Bits with the very same question.

Kinda disappointing if they really are just not even mentioning DVD anymore. Posted Image

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   MLamarre

MLamarre

Second Unit

• 417 posts

Posted February 05 2009 - 10:58 PM

I've been waiting for a 2-discer of The Last Stand since it was released and Brett Ratner was quoted saying there was a wealth of material left off the DVD. It's not exactly the greatest movie but I would like to finish my collection.

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   Patrick H.

Patrick H.

Second Unit

• 476 posts

Posted February 06 2009 - 02:11 AM

I wouldn't be so sure about another SD release. When Fox released the X-Files films as a two-pack on Blu-Ray, the first film got a significant upgrade of bonus material. However, they didn't bother to re-release it on SD.

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted February 06 2009 - 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick H.
I wouldn't be so sure about another SD release. When Fox released the X-Files films as a two-pack on Blu-Ray, the first film got a significant upgrade of bonus material. However, they didn't bother to re-release it on SD.

Yes, let's completely ignore the millions of people who want standard DVD (and who outnumber BR by the way.) What a sound business decision.

Heck, I didn't even know about the X-Files thing either.

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,052 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 06 2009 - 05:25 AM

I think it might have come to DVD if there weren't so many re-releases of DVDs that they've started to get lost in the shuffle.

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted February 06 2009 - 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Allred
Well since all The Digital Bits ever talks about is Blu-Ray material and rarely goes into standard DVD any more, the recent announcement of the re-release of the "X-Men" trilogy raised a question.

"X-Men 3: The Last Stand" is a 2 disc set in the BR box and as we all know, the original release on DVD was just a single disc SO.......I'm assuming the re-releases are all on standard DVD as well so is it safe to assume that part 3 is getting a 2 disc set for regular DVD as well or is this a BR exclusive?

Are you sure the 2nd disc isnt the Digital Copy?

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted February 06 2009 - 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Sandhu
Are you sure the 2nd disc isnt the Digital Copy?

Yes I'm sure. Check out the Blu-Ray Bits and have a read.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted February 06 2009 - 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick H.

What new extras did Fight the Future have that weren't on the original DVD?

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,910 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted February 06 2009 - 08:56 AM

Yeah I'm kinda sick of reading about Blu-Ray on that website all the time-I used to access HTF thru The Blu-Ray Bits but now I just type in HTF directly and skip all the sensationalistic "news" they love to breathlessly report on. Anyway, unless X-Men has become a 3-hr. Director's Cut I'm not interested

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   AL KUENSTER

AL KUENSTER

Second Unit

• 359 posts

Posted February 06 2009 - 10:11 AM

According to the Bits all 3 X-Men BR's are 3 disc ea. disc 3 is a digital copy
Al Kuenster

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted February 06 2009 - 11:06 AM

If they don't release X3 in a 2 disc sd dvd I'm really gonna be ticked. I held off on it because of the promise of a future 2 discer. Same thing with Da Vinci code which it also appears I'm getting screwed on as they've got a blu ray extended edition coming out and NO sd dvd. Do they realize that blu may be wonderful and all but sd dvd is still king of the hill and with the economy as horrible as it is it can't be helping blu take over as quickly as it might if things were better.

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

• 591 posts

Posted February 07 2009 - 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulP
What new extras did Fight the Future have that weren't on the original DVD?

I would appreciate it if someone would answer this question. I just bought Fight the Future recently as it was on sale. I assumed it was on sale because it was being discontinued due to the imminent blu-ray release as part of a two pack with the sequel, but I never heard about the two pack version having new extras. If anyone knows about the alleged extras, I'm curious to know what they're like. DVDaficionado mentions that the two pack has a 121 minute theatrical version and a 122 minute extended cut version. That's pretty funny if the only difference is one minute. Must be one hell of a minute to get special mention like that. Posted Image

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,052 posts

Posted February 07 2009 - 03:47 PM

^The first X-Files movie on Blu-ray had a new commentary, some new featurettes and for the first time on video, the theatrical cut (the extended cut is also included).

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

• 591 posts

Posted February 07 2009 - 04:09 PM

Thanks, Travis. Do you know if those new featurettes were made recently, or "vintage" from when the movie came out?
Quote:
for the first time on video, the theatrical cut (the extended cut is also included).
The original standard DVD release wasn't the theatrical cut?!? How could that be?

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,052 posts

Posted February 08 2009 - 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Phoenix
Thanks, Travis. Do you know if those new featurettes were made recently, or "vintage" from when the movie came out?
Just a guess but from what they say, the extras were done prior to the release of the sequel to theaters (which is probably the same time they did the extras for the sequel too).

Quote:
The original standard DVD release wasn't the theatrical cut?!? How could that be?
No, the extended cut is the only one ever released. However, the only difference is that there is some extra dialogue between Mulder and the Well Manicured man in the limo. It might amount to 30 seconds more than what was in theatres.

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Colby

Colby

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted February 08 2009 - 06:58 AM

Y'know, that a DVD version of the new X-Men trilogy set hasn't shown up on Amazon yet makes me really think it's not gonna happen. Which really, really sucks.

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Simon Caleb

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 03:14 AM

I guess now would be Fox's chance to reinstate the R rated footage from X-2, which was included in dark workprint form on the previous SD 2 dvd set.
It's a 'need to know' situation, Paramount need to know we want F13th 2-8's restored and uncensored. No amount of talking head extras will do.

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted February 13 2009 - 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby
Y'know, that a DVD version of the new X-Men trilogy set hasn't shown up on Amazon yet makes me really think it's not gonna happen. Which really, really sucks.

Same for me.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow