What's new

The X-Files: Fight The Future - Strange Picture Artifacts...? (1 Viewer)

John H Ross

Screenwriter
I just watched the first X-Files movie for the first time on BD and I noticed some very strange picture "issues".

There are a couple of times when closely spaced vertical lines seem to break up and turn to horizontal noise. Most noticable during the FBI building bombing sequence (the grills and patterns on the outside of the building) and a couple of times on the walls during the courtroom sequences and when the Well-Manicured Man meets Cigarette-Smoking Man etc for the first time in London. The first time I've ever seen this happen on BD.

All the reviews I've read go out of their way to declare that there are no significant picture artifacts but I beg to differ, unless it's on my equipment which is unlikely. I have a Panasonic BD55 and Panasonic Viera 1080p TV.

Has anybody else spotted this?

Josh Pounds

Stunt Coordinator
I don't recall noticing anything like this. The colors seemed a little strange at certain times, but I chalked that up to choices the director made.

The transfer did seem sourced from an older print and possibly "cleaned up" digitally (just a guess...I have no proof of that), so it could be a result of that.

Will look to see if I can see what you see when I get home!

Josh Pounds

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm afraid I couldn't find anything like what you were referring to. All of the instances of closely spaced vertical lines in the scenes you mentioned were spot-on and rock steady on my display.

Perhaps there is an issue with pixel mapping on your display? I don't know if either of those pieces of equipment do 1:1 pixel mapping, but it sounds a bit like what you're seeing might be due to information falling "between" pixels.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

I'm not sure to be honest. If it's any help I have a Panasonic Viera TX-32LZD85 LCD TV.

The problems are only visible for, literally, about 3 seconds out of the entire film but now I find myself looking for this problem on other discs.

I'd rather it WAS a problem with my display rather than with the disc/master because my TV is far more likely to be replaced down the road than the disc is likely to be remastered.

Thanks for checking! Really appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks