What's new

Need help playing SD DVD w/ PS3 (1 Viewer)

Tom Oh

Second Unit
I have PS3 connected to Samsung LCD TV via HDMI. Blu-ray looks beautiful, but SD DVD is appearing with sizable black frame. Think of it as only the middle 4/5 of the screen is used. I don't think this is a TV problem since cable TV comes out just fine. FYI, games also come out fine. It's only the standard DVDs. Please help and thanks!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

It sounds to me like you're playing a non-anamorphic letterboxed widescreen show. Try again with something you know is 16:9 anamorphic (read the back label and check for the "enhanced for widescreen TVs" tagline.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
While the movie is playing, you may be able to press the triangle button and then change the playback aspect ratio to a zoom mode that gets rid of the black bars (though it may also cut off part of the picture). Look for the icon shaped vaguely like a screen.)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Tom, does this happen with all widescreen SD-DVDs? Do any of them display properly? If "Yes", post titles. If "No", I think we can eliminate the possibility that you're looking at non-anamorphic DVDs.

It is possible that the PS3 is somehow downconverting and letterboxing the anamorphic DVDs and outputting that signal in a 4:3 frame.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
This is how anamorphic DVDs were handled when connected to a 4:3 TV. I don't have a PS/3, so I'm not familiar with the settings, but is it possible that there is flag for "TV type" somewhere? (It probably wouldn't affect Blu Ray discs, which are encoded differently and would just be sent out "raw" to the TV for the set to process.) Might be worth rooting around in the setup menu to see if there is such a setting, and make sure it is on 16:9.

Regards,

Joe

Mike Slade

Second Unit
Mine was also doing this to regular DVD's when i first got it. If you go into Video Settings there's a option called BD/DVD Upscaler. It's probably set to Double Scale. At least I think that is what mine was on. Change it to Normal and that should make your DVD's properly fill the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread