Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

MGM Press Release: The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,513 posts

Posted February 03 2009 - 10:37 AM

AS YOU WISH…

THE PRINCESS BRIDE

BLU-RAY DISC

The Timeless Cult Fairy Tale Comes To Life In
High Definition March 17 From MGM Home Entertainment

CENTURY CITY, Calif. – Savvy swordfights, eccentric giants, an evil prince, a dashing hero and a beautiful princess; relive the extraordinary story, The Princess Bride, now as vivid as ones’ imagination, debuting on Blu-ray Disc March 17 from MGM Home Entertainment. This staple of 1980’s pop culture presents a transcendent and magical experience that elicits uproarious laughter while simultaneously emerging viewers in a majestic world of folklore.

Directed by Rob Reiner (When Harry Met Sally, Stand By Me) and produced by Norman Lear (“All In the Family,” “The Jeffersons”), The Princess Bride stars Peter Faulk (“Columbo”), who narrates the extraordinary tale to his grandson, played by Fred Savage (“The Wonder Years”). The Princess Bride features some of Hollywood’s favorite stars including Golden GlobeÒ nominee* Robin Wright Penn (Breaking And Entering, Forrest Gump) in her feature film debut as the fair maiden Buttercup, Cary Elwes (Georgia Rule, Ella Enchanted) and Golden GlobeÒ nominee** Billy Crystal (Analyze This, When Harry Met Sally). The stellar supporting cast includes Mandy Patinkin (“Chicago Hope”) as Inigo Montoya, Christopher Guest (This Is Spinal Tap) as Count Tyrone Rugen and the late Andre The Giant as Fezzik.

Loaded with special features, such as audio commentaries and featurettes, the whimsical parody, The Princess Bride Blu-ray Disc also includes a DVD copy of the film and will be available for the suggested retail price of $34.99 / $37.99 Canada. Prebook is February 18.

*1995: Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture, Forest Gump
**1993: Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical, Mr. Saturday Night; 1992: Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical, City Slickers; 1990: Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical, When Harry Met Sally

Synopsis:
From celebrated director Rob Reiner (When Harry Met Sally) and Oscar-winning screenwriter William Goldman (Chaplin) comes "an enchanting fantasy" (Time) filled with adventure, romance and plenty of "good-hearted fun" (Roger Ebert)! Featuring a spectacular cast that includes Robin Wright Penn (Forrest Gump), Cary Elwes (Liar, Liar), Mandy Patinkin (Dick Tracy) and Billy Crystal (City Slickers), this wonderful fairy tale about a Princess named Buttercup and her beloved is "a real dream of a movie" (People)!

Blu-Ray Disc Special Features:
The Princess Bride Blu-Ray Disc is presented in widescreen with English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio, Spanish Mono and French Dolby Surround, along with English, French and Spanish subtitles. Bonus features include:
· Audio Commentary by Rob Reiner
· Audio Commentary by William Goldman
· As You Wish: The Story of The Princess Bride
· Cary Elwes Video Diary
· Miraculous Makeup
· The Dread Pirate Roberts: Greatest Pirate of the Seven Seas
· Love is Like a Storybook
· The Princess Bride The Untold Tales featurette
· The Art of Fencing featurette
· Fairytales and Folklore featurette
· Original theatrical trailer
· Easter Eggs

The Princess Bride Blu-ray Disc
Street Date: March 17, 2009
Prebook Date: February 18, 2009
Price: $34.99 U.S. / $37.99 Canada
Total Run Time: 98 Minutes
Catalog #: M106686
U.S. Rating: PG
Closed Captioned: YES

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted February 28 2009 - 12:37 AM

Amazon has it up for pre-order, but I am seriously conflicted here:

Amazon.com: The Princess Bride [Blu-ray]: Andre the Giant, Betsy Brantley, Anne Dyson, Cary Elwes, Peter Falk, Willoughby Gray, Carol Kane, Margery Mason, Mandy Patinkin, Chris Sarandon, Fred Savage, Wallace Shawn, Malcolm Storry, Robin Wright Penn,

$31.49????

This is one of my favorite movies of all time, so it should be a no-brainer purchase, but Cripes! $31 bucks?

This is going to be very hard to resist, but if that's the price, I am afraid that I am just going to have to live with the DVD.

Some here are cheesed off with Disney's announced procing for Monsters and Bugs Life, but for me this takes it to another level.

BR prices are headed in the wrong direction. Even in a strong economy this price is more than many would care to pay.

Brian

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,532 posts

Posted February 28 2009 - 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian L
Amazon has it up for pre-order, but I am seriously conflicted here:

Amazon.com: The Princess Bride [Blu-ray]: Andre the Giant, Betsy Brantley, Anne Dyson, Cary Elwes, Peter Falk, Willoughby Gray, Carol Kane, Margery Mason, Mandy Patinkin, Chris Sarandon, Fred Savage, Wallace Shawn, Malcolm Storry, Robin Wright Penn,

$31.49????

This is one of my favorite movies of all time, so it should be a no-brainer purchase, but Cripes! $31 bucks?

This is going to be very hard to resist, but if that's the price, I am afraid that I am just going to have to live with the DVD.

Some here are cheesed off with Disney's announced procing for Monsters and Bugs Life, but for me this takes it to another level.

BR prices are headed in the wrong direction. Even in a strong economy this price is more than many would care to pay.

Brian
I think you doth protest too much. A quick online search shows that it can be had for less than 23 bucks. Is Amazon the only vendor you ever look at?

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted February 28 2009 - 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR
I think you doth protest too much. A quick online search shows that it can be had for less than 23 bucks. Is Amazon the only vendor you ever look at?

Usually it is, thanks. They are normally competitive price-wise, and have top shelf service. A couple bucks differences does not usually matter much to me. I simply got an e-mail from Amazon announcing that it was up for pre-order.

But I did just now search. I do see that WalMart of all places has it for $23... that's a pretty big price difference. Methinks Amazon's price is wrong; that's too big of a difference.

Brian

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,532 posts

Posted February 28 2009 - 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian L
Methinks Amazon's price is wrong; that's too big of a difference.

Brian
Could be. I know that Amazon will sometimes drop the price a LOT after a title comes out.

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,292 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 28 2009 - 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR
Could be. I know that Amazon will sometimes drop the price a LOT after a title comes out.
I've seen them drop the prices the week before too. I really doubt they'll be charging $31 when it comes out and will be closer to a 25 or 30% discount.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,681 posts

Posted March 02 2009 - 03:13 AM

yeah, that's an unreal price on amazon for sure. I saw that over the weekend and thought surely it's a typo but it's still there!

I love the film & buy 99% of my Blu-rays from amazon but not $31. Posted Image

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted March 02 2009 - 04:32 AM

I sent this e-mail to Amazon with a link to their pre-order page:

Is $31.49 the right price? Seems to be quite high. A quick Google search showed that it is available for pre-order from many national online vendors (WalMart for one) for about $23. Obviously, no two vendors will sell at the same price, but I normally find Amazon to be very competitive, leading me to think that perhaps the listed price is a misprint.

Thanks.

Brian Leduc

And got this reply:

---------------------------------------

Greetings from Amazon.com.

I would like to sincerely apologize for any disappointment this may have caused, however we are not responsible for prices or savings posted without our permission on other websites.

We realize that from time to time, our customers will be able to purchase a single product from another store at a lower price than ours. We recognize that you have a choice of retailers and are pleased that you would prefer to order from us.

As you may know, the price and availability of items at Amazon.com are subject to change. Please note that placing an item in your shopping cart or finding the item on another website does not reserve the price of that item. It also will not reserve your copy of that item.

Prices of items at Amazon.com will necessarily change on occasion, as the discount we are able to offer for any item can also depend on availability.

Also, there may be times when Amazon.com runs out of stock of an item that is also offered by one of our partner merchants. You may see it displayed on our website as available, but from a different merchant and with a different price than you saw previously. Our merchants set their own prices.

If you have further questions, please visit our online Help pages: Amazon.com: Help

Thank you for your understanding. Thanks for contacting us at Amazon.com.
-------------------

Whatever.

Thanks to RoberR's heads up, I pre-ordered from WalMart. It pained me to do it, but its the frickin' Princess Bride. It would have been inconceivable for me not to pre-order it frm somewhere!

Brian

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted March 02 2009 - 04:46 AM

Something really strange has been going on with Blu-ray releases and Amazon. On a number of titles, Fox/MGM in particular, Amazon won't even have anything listed until the 11th hour. I have no doubt it will be their typical $22.99 shortly however.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted March 03 2009 - 05:02 AM

A day late, and still several dollars short, but the price is now $5 or so less at Amazon.

Brian

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted March 17 2009 - 12:57 PM

Anyone have this yet? Here in Canada, the disc is not being released until MAY!!. I'm waiting simply because the current Canada-US exchange is fluctuating between $.75-.80, so it's more cost effective to wait.
I don't like SPAM!

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   RDarrylR

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted March 17 2009 - 01:12 PM

Ouch it's not out till May? Posted Image

I guess i'll have to consider buying from the US then. Posted Image

I was really looking forward to picking this up this week.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted March 17 2009 - 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Paynter
Anyone have this yet? Here in Canada, the disc is not being released until MAY!!.

I could have sworn that I saw this at Best Buy in downtown Toronto this afternoon. I even looked at the back of the case....it mentioned that it had both the Blu-ray and DVD copies of the movie inside.

Now I'm gonna have to look again tomorrow..... Posted Image

EDIT: 03/18 - Went back today.....I can confirm it is out there. Got my copy on hand right now. Posted Image
Recently watched- Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart, Tomb Of Ligeia

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted March 17 2009 - 03:07 PM

Wow. That is unfortunate for you Canadians. I just finished watching this with my wife, and the transfer is stellar. If you can't wait, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with this disc. It's fantastic.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 06:19 AM

Yeah - picked mine up at Wal-Mart yesterday. Apparently Amazon.ca didn't get the notice - they still show a pre-order for May 12th! Inconceivable!

Looks damned good, too!
I don't like SPAM!

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   RDarrylR

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 06:40 AM

Yep I've seen it everywhere now in Canada.

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,726 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 04:58 AM

Beautiful. I'm very happy with the video/audio. Well worth a double(triple) dip.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan^H
Beautiful. I'm very happy with the video/audio. Well worth a double(triple) dip.

Ah good to know. But--I CAN'T FIND IT! And I live in Southern California. Haven't even seen a copy yet. Is it just selling out? (NOT inconceivable). And it will be a triple-dip for me--if I ever manage to find the durn thing.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow