Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Saturday Night Live-Season 5...Any News?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 of 108 Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Supporting Actor

• 949 posts

Posted February 03 2009 - 08:24 AM

I was just curions if anyone has heard if we are getting SNL season 5 soon? Last year around this time we got word that season 3 was coming in May, so I'm thinking that we should be hearing something soon. If Universal is keeping to the same schedule that they did last year. If not, then I'm sure we will be seeing this around Christmas time this year. I'm anxious to finish off my collection with season 5.

#2 of 108 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,333 posts

Posted February 03 2009 - 12:00 PM

No news yet--I have no doubt we'll see it within the next few months though; I don't think they'll wait all the way to the fall.

#3 of 108 AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted February 03 2009 - 12:07 PM

Being only three episodes into S4 at this point, I'm in no rush. Posted Image But obviously I'd love to add it to my collection, although I'm much more concerned about what the next release will be, if there even is one.

#4 of 108 Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted February 03 2009 - 12:08 PM

I hope season 5 gets released in May,so we could then get the 1980-81 season in December.

#5 of 108 David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,086 posts

Posted February 03 2009 - 05:25 PM

I'm sure it will be announced before too long. But devoted SNL fans will tell you that Season 5 was not so hot. However, Jane, Larraine & Gilda got a bit more to do in that season since so many of the guys had left by then.
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#6 of 108 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted February 04 2009 - 01:42 AM

Personally, I don't care if others think that certain seasons aren't that great.....doesn't matter what TV series it is, there will always be people who will trash a season that isn't well liked....Hell, I've done it myself on occasion. I say release all of them - warts and all. There will always be someone out there who will want them for their collection.

Hope they announce Season 5 soon. Posted Image
Recently watched- Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars: A New Hope, Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith, Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones, Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, Beauty and The Beast: Season 3, Mad Max 2, Mad Max, Wonder Woman(1974), Batman: Year One

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3

"You are unwise to lower your defenses!"

#7 of 108 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,333 posts

Posted February 04 2009 - 05:05 AM

They need to include that special "Bob & Ray with Jane, Laraine & Gilda" as an extra. Also, season six WAS pretty bad; maybe they can release it as a combo set along with season seven?

#8 of 108 Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 548 posts

Posted February 05 2009 - 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
They need to include that special "Bob & Ray with Jane, Laraine & Gilda" as an extra. Also, season six WAS pretty bad; maybe they can release it as a combo set along with season seven?

Yes -- even tho the Bob & Ray special aired during Season 4.

But then, so did "Things We Did Last Summer," and they added it to the Season 3 set.

"Mr. Mike's Mondo Video" would have made a good extra, but it's already out on its own.

One thing that really should be available is "Steve Martin's Best Show Ever" -- essentially an SNL reunion show, done live from Studio 8H with the majority of the original cast. At least one segment from this special (Festrunk bros. with Belushi as their mom) is included in one of the "Best Of Steve Martin on SNL" DVD compilations (thanks to someone here who tipped me off to that; I had no idea any part of it was available anywhere) -- it's not really a SNL show, but certainly is in spirit.

Of course, it's from 1981 -- so all bets are off on where it would go.

#9 of 108 Marco S

Marco S

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted February 06 2009 - 04:49 AM

I can't wait until season five is released. I already have the other four seasons, but I can't get the closed captions to work. The back of the box says closed captioned. Is there some sort of Easter Egg I'm not finding?? Has this been addressed before?

#10 of 108 Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 10:03 AM

I'm disappointed that Season 5 isn't going to be released in May.I thought that Universal would stick to the schedule of releasing season sets in May and December.Obviously not.I know it's much too early,but should I get concerned if there's going to be a release in December?

#11 of 108 wh5916

wh5916

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco S
I can't wait until season five is released. I already have the other four seasons, but I can't get the closed captions to work. The back of the box says closed captioned. Is there some sort of Easter Egg I'm not finding?? Has this been addressed before?

Have you tried the "closed caption" option on your television set? Sometimes that's the only type of caption available on a DVD title.

#12 of 108 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted April 27 2009 - 01:52 PM

I just recently started collecting SNL. I bought the first 2 seasons last month and plan on getting 3 and 4 soon. I really, REALLY hope season 5 gets a release. I remember dating back to the first season release, David Lambert had said that in order for subsequent seasons to be released, the first set would have had to sell extremely well. As is the case with most TV/DVDs, subsequent seasons tend to sell less copies than the one before it. Based on that, the struggling economy and the costs incurred to clear the music, I have to wonder if it's enough to justify a 5th season release.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#13 of 108 AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted April 27 2009 - 02:35 PM

Season 5 is definitely coming from what I understand; I believe Lorne mentioned it in an interview. Beyond that it's pretty certain that the non-Lorne seasons will not be released. Posted Image

#14 of 108 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,093 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted April 27 2009 - 04:31 PM

I am anxious to collect them I wish they'd get back to two seasons a year.. otherwise momentum will slow... but I don't mind if they skip the non-Lorne Years.... but I Hope they keep up with special nice hardcase editions when they first come out... I can't wait till we get to the seasons with Phil Hartman, Jan Hooks, Nora Dunn etc those were great years.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#15 of 108 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted April 27 2009 - 10:31 PM

Well I'd like the non-Lorne yes solely because of Eddie Murphy. I remember in the late 80s I had the 'Best Of Eddie Murphy: Saturday Night Live" VHS tape Paramount had put out. I watched it so many times I practically wore it thin. Should they decide to even consider releasing those seasons, they'd have to put either Murphy, Joe Piscopo or Julia Louis-Dreyfuss on the box art. I have a feeling the 'casual' fan won't remember too much about Charles Rocket, Mary Gross or Gary Kroeger.

Also, I know there's been a lot of discussion about the dreaded 80-81 season but I'd still like to see it released. That season after all was Eddie Murphy's debut. And given the quality (or lack thereof) of the season, it can't be much worse than some of the stuff SNL has spewed out in recent years. Just my $0.02.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#16 of 108 progrocktv

progrocktv

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted April 28 2009 - 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Radke
Also, I know there's been a lot of discussion about the dreaded 80-81 season but I'd still like to see it released. That season after all was Eddie Murphy's debut. And given the quality (or lack thereof) of the season, it can't be much worse than some of the stuff SNL has spewed out in recent years. Just my $0.02.

Plus don't forget the infamous Charles Rocket incident. I think it could sell fairly well. Not only the Eddie Murphy aspect but the musical guest lineup would be a good selling point for that season as well (Prince, James Brown, Cheap Trick). Plus it was only 13-ish episodes so they would probably use a lower price as a selling point.
My current "obscurities" wishlist:
The Magician (Starring Bill Bixby)/ Project UFO/ Search (Probe)/ T.H.E. Cat/ It Takes a Thief/ My Mother the Car/ Man from Atlantis/ The Goodies (season sets R1)/ Hey Landlord!/Captain Nice/ Green Hornet/ '66 Batman (yea, right!)/

#17 of 108 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,571 posts

Posted April 28 2009 - 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Radke

I don't remember what year Billy Crystal(You look Marvelous), and Martin Short(I must say) started but I want those seasons the most.
I also think it would be unfair to skip a season(80-81) just because it's frowned upon by fans of the show.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#18 of 108 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,333 posts

Posted April 28 2009 - 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan^H
I don't remember what year Billy Crystal(You look Marvelous), and Martin Short(I must say) started but I want those seasons the most.
I also think it would be unfair to skip a season(80-81) just because it's frowned upon by fans of the show.

Billy Crystal was in the 84-85 season.

#19 of 108 FrankNolan

FrankNolan

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted April 28 2009 - 07:44 AM

I'm primarily a fan of the original show and the '86-'93 seasons, but I'd still like to have the early Eighties on DVD:

'80-'81 - Lots of great music and one great show, hosted by Bill Murray, plus the first Ebersol show, a curiosity that I may have seen on Comedy Central years ago but hardly remember.

'81-'82 -In the first half, some weird Michael O'Donoghue-related stuff that I've read about but still haven't seen (or don't remember).

'82-'83 -The season where Andy Kaufman was banned and Buckwheat was shot.

'83-'84 - The show starts to get legitimately good again, with especially memorable episodes hosted by Billy Crystal and Robin Williams.

'84-'85 - The Crystal/Short/Guest/Shearer season. Classic.

I wonder what the apparent holdup with Season 5 is - clearance issues?

#20 of 108 David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,086 posts

Posted April 28 2009 - 05:42 PM

I'm sure completists would like every season. The problem with releasing the infamous 80-81 season is that if it doesn't sell then that might slow down or even put a stop to future seasons coming out. Releases have to sell for the next one to come out. That's business. No one's going to pay $60 to hear the mildly-talented Charles Rocket say a naughty word.

And the idea that the non-Lorne years shouldn't be released is absurd. Eddie Murphy is arguably the show's most popular performer ever.
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow