What's new

Vizio owners: how do you like your LCD? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'd like to buy the Vizio 42" LCD (VO42LF) for a bedroom TV, if it drops another 10% or so. Attractive set, good prospects for lower price, and well rated in Consumer Reports. But the specific one I want is not sold at local stores.

But I'm curious how owners like their Vizio products? Do people consider Vizio "name brand" yet?

Of course, it's all moot. I'm going to win Vizio's 55" giveaway
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

troy evans

Screenwriter
I recently bought a 32" Vizio from my local Sam's Club. I wasn't in the market for a new tv at the time, but, for $370 I thought, why not? I hooked this LCD up to my computer, Xbox 360 and Xbox and have been lovin' it ever since. I believe LCD's are perfect for this type of implementation. It looks pretty good on dvds as well and overall I've been very impressed. The backlight is the most challenging thing to adjust. Being the owner of a plasma I've become accustomed to rich and deep black levels which are not as good in my opinion on this LCD. For the money spent this is one helluva tv.

Matt Fig

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Fig
I have a Vizio VX37L HDTV. I have had it for a little over 2 years and not one problem with it. The HD programming looks great on this little set. I have the XBox 360 w/ HD-DVD player attached and it all looks great. I can not say enough about the TV. I do not think you will be disappointed. Especially with the price. I hope we all win that 55" TV - Good luck!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We bought a 37-inch Vizio LCD for the bedroom last spring. It's a decent set. While I prefer the more realistic image I get on our main HT 67-inch LED DLP set compared to the LCD, the LCD is much more practical for the bedroom. The Vizio has been reliable -- we watch mostly standard broadcasts and the local channels in HD (via the built-in QAM tuner, since Comcast transmits the local HD signals unscrambled). The built-in speakers are decent -- I did not want to mess with a sound system for the bedroom.

I only have a 480p SD-DVD player connected, since that TV rarely is used for DVD viewing. My wife will occasionally watch a movie or TV on DVD show on it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Good info. My situation is much like Scott's. For the living room, I bought based on on HTF-type info. Consumer Reports worries about remote control quality (I have a Harmony One) and TV speakers (not even hooked up) are irrelevant.

But for the bedroom, I'm a CR shopper
I need a decent set with a good price that has decent speakers and a manageable remote. I don't need Samsung picture quality if I can save a few hundred $$$. The Vizio sounds like a good all-around performer with pricing 15% under the major brands.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Dave,

The layout of the remote is quite good, compared to others I've seen included with components. We do not have a universal remote for the bedroom setup, so it gets used a lot. Also, the zoom mode on our model works very well for letterboxed films on TCM. I sure wish TCM would go high definition. :frowning:

If you are into "stretch" modes for 4x3 content, though, you may want to look elsewhere. The one for our 37-inch model is unwatchable, IMO. Since LCD does not suffer from burn-in, though, it's a non-issue for us. We prefer to watch 4x3 material pillarboxed.

Batt

Auditioning
Real Name
Neil
I have a 32" and a 47" at home and my daughter has a 37". I absolutely love all of them. You won't find a better TV for the price.
And I, too, hope to win a 55".

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Good tip, will check out. I use stretch on 4x3 on my Plasma, for now. On an LCD, I'm not sure what I'd do.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I purchased the SV420XVT a few weeks ago and I am very happy so far. It is my first 1080p display and video quality is good enough that I consider it a good value. If it proves to be durable and problem free over a long period, I will consider it a great value. I do believe I have seen better image quality for much more money but the value is so good that I am not surprised Vizio has moved up to number 2 in terms of sales in the US.

Chris

genedjr

Agent
Real Name
gene dowen
My setup was:
Sony 32" Trinitron
Yamaha RX-v890 receiver
Infinity 625 (2) left/right, 325 (2) surround, RS-Video center
various DVD players but currently Sony DVP-NC615
Motorola HDDVR Cable (comcast)

But after 13+ years the Sony died. So I retrieved one of my son's gaming TV's (27" RCA, Digital compatible) as the only viewing device - it was horrible. Much distortion, freezing, tiling, etc. And at about 9 feet away, small.

After looking for 3 or 4 months, reading all the on-line reviews I could find (all the time watching this horrible little TV) I wanted a Samsung LN52A650 52" 120Hz TV. But...

To use ANY 52" HDTV I would need to replace my entertainment center and my disk storage cabinets. Not a pretty picture.

Everyone I asked said get 52" or bigger, the 42, 46, etc just paled by comparison in stores. But not only can't I really justify a $2200 HDTV, I really could not spend an extra $1000 or so to replace my furniture components.

So again, I went off to view smaller HDTVs. And one day at SAMs Warehouse, I see the Vizio SV420XVT 120Hz for a then astounding $900. (Yes Dell has them for $800 and now they can be had for $700 - but my patience was wearing thin)

So I went back to the Internet and read every scrap of information I would find on Vizio (a totally unknown brand to me) and the SV420XVT in particular.

Reviewers liked it, users liked it. But I was not convinced that "I" would like it. So I haranged the poor people at SAMs to move the Vizio next to the Samsung and Sony TVs so I could (as best as possible given the lighting) see them side by side.

To me, hands down the Samsung had the best picture - period. But, again to me, the Vizio had a better picture than the Sony. I never would have believed it without seeing it, under the same conditions.

In these times price is always a consideration, so the differences between the Samsung and the Vizio were not worth the extra $900. And I bought the Vizio.

Being very sceptical - I decided on the way home, that I would only unpack it enough to make sure I would be satisfied - I would rather take it back and spend an additional $900 than live with something I was not happy with.

So after gingerly taking it out of the box and carefully removing only the plastic bag cover, I plugged it in.

WOW :emoji_thumbsup: I was simply blown away by the clarity. As noted above I have comcast and so I tuned it to a HD channel (1080i component) and double WOW.

I am sure part of the WOW factor was the change from a truly horrible TV to the HDTV, but even this factored in - double WOW. As others note, HD, even at 1080i has almost a 3D effect - again double WOW.

Now after reading more here and other forums I have begun the ominous task of fine tuning the display to my liking. Its even better than when first plugged in, and slowly getting better all the time as I make finer and finer adjustments.

For me, given my size limitations, price consideration, and WOW factor. I could not have made a better purchase. Not only does it fit in my entertainment center, for me, its big enough to really enjoy movies at a 9 foot viewing distance.

Now if this set lasts as long as the Sony, triple WOW
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

...gene

And oh yes, I did finish unpacking it

EDIT: Now that I have had this set for a couple of months I am still VERY happy ;)

I have tuned the set for every anomaly I have encountered: overscan, brightness, contrast, color, morie, etc. I am impressed, and for my $900 - I got a deal.

paradajz1

Auditioning
Real Name
Dzon
i have a Vizio VW42LHDTVA 42" LCD-TV Stereo Sound - HDTV and i not one problem with it. i think it's great...

Dan Gill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I have the 47" (got it a few months back when Costco had $400 off) and couldn't be happier with it. I was a little scared when I first got it home because the picture really didn't look right at all. Blurred motion, odd coloring, overly bright, but I did some research and played around and settled on MUCH better settings. It actually took me a while to get used to after because it was so clear that something felt off. I'm totally used to it now, but when new people come over and watch, I often get comments about how it looks "too real" :laugh:

Picture Mode: Movie

Backlight: 18
Brightness: 49
Contrast: 52
Color: 42
Tint: 2
Sharpness: 3

Advanced Video
Noise Reduction: strong
Color enhancement: off
Advanced Adaptive Luma: Off
Enhanced Contrast Rato: off

Color Temperature: Normal
Red: 121
Green: 128
Blue: 118

Smooth Motion Effect: low
Real Cinema Mode: Precision

If anyone has other adjustments they'd recommend, I'm all ears - thanks!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Anyone have the 55-inch LCD (available for about $1597 at Wal-Mart)? I've heard the black levels on it aren't too great, but they've got another one coming out in June using an LED backlight for about the same price which may solve that problem. It sounds like it still won't do everything I want it to do, but the price is right and I've been waiting several years for the right thing to come along and I'm tired of waiting at this point.

Peter-PP

Stunt Coordinator
I have 4 Vizio 1080p HDTVs, a 50 inch plasma for my home theater and 3 32 inch LCDs for my computers and I LOVE them all!

richiewrt

Auditioning
Real Name
Richie
I have a 32" vizio plasma and I love it. For the price you cannot beat a Vizio. Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, and since you mentioned "Do people consider Vizio "name brand" yet?",I believer that Vizio is the number one selling flat panel in North America. If not #1 then #2. Also, due to my work, I see a lot of TVs and I have to say that Vizio's have an excellent, if not a bit overly bright picture, But then again, that may be due to the fact that most people don't know how to adjust their TVs.

mcnatprice

Auditioning
Real Name
Nat
Try turning off both Smooth Motion Effect & Real Cinema Mode, this might help with the "too real" effect. Thank God for these forums, I bought a 55" Vizio and was considering returning it because the "Soap Opera" effect on most content I was watching, until I researched the problem and found the answers here! Thanks to all who post solutions!

donaldla

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
I have a Vizio 26" LCD 1080P in my kitchen - very nice picture and a great buy! So far soooo good ! Looking to get another one for the bedroom next.

xcmonkey

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy Jenkins
Thanks for the custom settings. The only thing I changed was the Smooth Motion Effect. I set it to "Off" I can watch TV again without getting sick.

Stuart Lewis

Auditioning
Real Name
Stuart Lewis
The SONY universal remote RMLV-600 does NOT have codes for the VIZIO brand. You need to get the new Sony RMLV-602. That has codes. How does a remote made in 2010 NOT have codes for VIZIO. Just another reason to dislike SONY

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks