What's new

Your Next New Car (1 Viewer)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
We have all heard about the economy and the big 3 auto issues. My company supplies rotors to foreign owned auto companies with factories in the USA. Last April we made 250,000 pieces. Last December we made only 50,000 pieces. So auto sales are down across all companies and I was wondering where the bottom is.
I currently own 3 cars and they are all paid for.
  • The family car is a 2003 and had about 112,000 miles on it. Everything works well and we have no reason to get rid of it.
  • My car is a 2004 and has about 45,000 miles on it. No problems her either.
  • The third car we just bought for my son. It is a 1987 and has 109,000 miles on it. It has a few issues but we paid only $900 for it. So if we put another $1,000 into it, we will have a good car.
All three of these cars could easily last years as long as there are no accidents. With the economy what it is, I don't see any reason to buy a new or used car in the near future. I look around and there are cars everywhere. New car lots, used car lots, driveways with more than 2 cars, etc... From what I see most of them are in good shape.

So the questions are; How many miles are on you car? How much longer do you expect it to last? When do you expect to get your next car?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My car is about 3.5 years old with 58000 kms on it. I am hoping to get at least 12 more years out of it before even contemplating getting another car. I'm not sure that the next one will be new.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I have two cars. One is a 2001 F-150 coming up on 60,000 miles. The other is a 2004 Miata with about 22,000 miles. I expect to get at least 10 more years out of each of them barring accidents. I doubt at my age (55) I will EVER buy another new car since I have lots of spare time now to shop for a decent used one should the need arise.

I can see buying replacement rotors someday however.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
We have 2 cars:

2007 Honda Odyssey w/ about 40,000 miles on it
2009 Ford Fusion with under 1,000 miles on it.

The Ford we just bought back in November to replace a 2000 Chrysler Concorde that had about 60,000 miles on it. The Chrysler was a POS. We used the crappy economy to our advantage to get a fantastic deal on the Fusion. We will only put 6,000 - 8,000 miles per year on it. So the Ford won't be replaced anytime soon.

The Odyssey is also relatively new, but it's the vehcle we put most of our miles on-- about 23,000 a year. So we'll probably look at replacing it in about 4 - 5 years. But even then, the Honda probably wouldn't need to be replaced.

So I guess we're set for a while.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My first car was a '95 Chrysler Cirrus that lasted me until December 31, 2006. When I drove it back home from a party in the first hours of 2007, I only had third gear. It's a miracle I made it back at all, and since the Reverse gear was shot, once I pulled into the driveway I was stuck. Had it towed away by a charity that sells junk cars for parts at 108,185 miles. Thousands were dumped into it over the life of the car, a real lemon.

I'm still driving my second car, a '95 Corolla. It's got ~$45k miles on it. I've replaced the hub caps a couple times via a junkyard, taken it in for repairs once, and that's it. The alignment's a little screwy but I foresee many great years with it to come.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I have a 2002 Chrysler Concord with 60k miles. It is in great condition but I really dislike it. As my punishment it will probably run forever.

My wife drives an 06 CRV with about 30k miles.

I like owning new because with my job I don't have time to wait around for car service or repairs - and certainly not time to do it myself. I only wish there were a Mercedes dealer in my town. Most dealers here blows chunks for service.

My wife is dieing for a mini cooper. I want a new Camaro. I also miss having an 8 passenger vehicle (we had a minivan). I'm considering getting a used minivan and cooper when I buy my Camaro - but much will depend on the economy - It really would be a vanity purchase - except for the minivan.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Eric, does the 2002 Concorde make it any easier to replace the battery. On the 2000 Chrysler Concorde you had to actually remove the passenger front wheel to change the battery! :eek: Who was smoking dope when that was designed?

Jim_F

Screenwriter
The lease on my Legacy GT Limited is up in 2 years, so I guess mileage (4 figures) and longevity (probably a long, long time) are moot points.

I'd like to get something luxurious next time. If I get another sedan, I'll probably give the Big 3 some business and get a CTS. If not, an X3 is presently at the top of my non-sedan wish list.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Just like you guys, I think most people are in a situation where they don't need to buy another car. Cars are lasting much longer and I think people will be holding on to their money a little more. I remember cars built in the 60s were doing good to get 100,000 miles on them and that was if rust didn't get them. Many cars built now days can hit 200,000 miles easily.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
My 1988 Honda just rolled over to 200,000 miles. I bought it new in 1988 and see no reason not to drive it to my grave. It's been an amazing car, though the engine has finally begun to show its age just in the last 20,000 miles.

My daughter will need a car when she starts college. I may buy her a car a couple of years sooner than she needs it, and drive it myself while I convert my 1988 Honda to electric power. I'm looking at a new Honda Fit, but I'm hoping they have a hybrid version by the time I'm ready to buy (in a couple of years). If not, the "regular" Fit will do nicely.

mylan

Screenwriter
I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition with 95,000 miles that I just paid off last month. I am so happy to be rid of the payments I cannot imagine trading now. It has developed an annoying lifter "tic" when idleing but not constantly. My mechanic says it will began to occur all the time eventually but otherwise poses no problem.
My wife has a 2002 BMW 325i with 78,000 miles that we are still paying for. It was a certified pre-owned and we have about a year left. Now that mine is paid for we are going to pay it off as soon as possible.
Before, we might have considered trading for her a new car but now are trying to pay down all that we can in light of the present economy.
We want to both be payment free for awhile before we buy anything. The BMW should last a long time because she puts less than 10K a year but the Jeep may go sooner, either way we are probably good for another three years.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
The wife and I share a 2007 saturn. Its a lease and when the lease runs up we will be in the market for a new car.

Some possible 'next car' ideas.

*If I strike it rich, an Infiniti FX35 SUV, Porsche Cayman S, and a Mercedes-Benz C300 4-matic (We have 4.5 months of snow here)

*If I dont strike it rich, a sub $25,000 car. I'd like AWD and we're considering a Subaru imprezza, Ford fusion/mercury milan, Maybe a small SUV.

*Snow be damned, a Mazda Mx-5 Miata GT with a power folding hard top. And some snow tires.

If we consider used.....

*AWD BMW 3-series, Mercedes C class or an Infiniti G35x

*Japanese small SUV (Honda CRV, Toyota 4-runner)

I really have no faith in GM products anymore (Even my brother has abandoned Cadillac for Lincoln). Ford will certainly be considered but chrysler doesn't have anything in my range that I like (Vipers and Challenger SRT8's aren't very good snow cars, AWD Hemi C300 is a little pricey).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Just freed myself of car payments.

2003 Focus just shy of 45,000 miles.

I don't think I will buy new again and I don't want to buy another car for a long time. I've even considered how life would be without a car whatsoever, but I think that's mostly wishful thinking at this point. I think I could do pretty well though.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
We're a one car family by choice. We own a 1991 Suburban, which has 242,000 miles on it. Every couple of years, we spend around $500-$1,000 on a used car purchased from our mechanic, who routinely sells cars from his home. Some day we may purchase a new car, but if so, it will be done with cash. We don't believe in financing (or leasing) a vehicle, and have not had a car payment in years.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
2004 Honda CR-V, just rolled over the 50K mark. Plus, my office is moving closer to my home this spring which will cut my commute from 40 miles daily to only about 12 miles.

Still runs great. Just replaced the rear brakes and bought all new tires in September. Should be good for several more years with regular maintenance. When I'm ready to change, I expect I'll probably buy another new Honda.

My first new car in 1994 was a Chevrolet. When I was ready to trade in 1997, got a jerk salesman who would barely give me the time of day, let alone help me with my purchase. So I left the Chevy lot and went to the Honda dealership instead, bought a Civic, and have been very satisfied for the past 12 years with Honda vehicles and service.

GM can suck it.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
My '96 Nissan P/U, which I've had for 4 years now, has about 112,000 and is probably good for another 112k. I'll most likely replace it in a couple of years as 5-6 years with the same vehicle is about it for me. But I no longer buy new. I find a real good used car and pay cash. If I had a wife/family I would probably buy new but for me used is O.K.

Classic cars is my other hobby and I own a '70 Fiat 124 Spyder and a '72 Mercedes 450 SL. With gas prices putting a scare into me and the fact the Merc is worth 3-4 times as much as the 124 I'll be selling the 450 this year or next, depending on how the classic/used car market is. The proceeds will go towards replacing the truck. At least that's the plan.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I'm done with new cars. My last purchase was a 2003 Toyota Tacoma double-cab 4x4 V-6 SR5 red/tan last August.

New bikes are a different story...

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
My car is a 2001 Honda Civic with about 90,000 miles (11,250 mi/yr) on it. My wife drive a 2006 CR-V with about 25,000 miles (10,000 mi/yr). I work from home but drive to see clients and my wife works about 4 miles away, so the only time we put any real mileage on a car is when we go on vacation or to Tallahassee for football games (6-8 times per fall, about 500 miles per trip).

I believe in financing, so long as you don't overbuy and a re a disciplined spender. Excellent way to leverage your money, but you have to shop around for a good rate, not rely on the in-house financing automatically. Heck, on our most recent auto purchase, the APR on the 5-year loan was lower than the APY in our savings account by more than half a percent (and still is lower, though not by as much). In that case, financing was a no-brainer.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
My cars are 2001 ,2002 with about 50k miles. I have no plans to replace any of them until new technologies come onto the market. Around 2010 or so we should have better generation hybrids and other technology alternatives.

I have 2 Fords and a Chevy and they are all fairly reliable. No need to replace anything for a few years.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

I think we see one of the many reasons the big 3 are hurting, right there.

I own a 2007 Corolla, and it has 25,000 miles on it. I had a 97 Saturn, and it was a great car, but it was burning oil (bad), and i need reliability in a car. If not for that, i would have kept my Saturn as long as i could.
My wife drives a 2000 Passport. I dont know how many miles she has, but its paid for, and she is gonna keep it for as long as she can.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks