-

Photo
- - - - -

Your Next New Car

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#41 of 93 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,682 posts

Posted February 05 2009 - 11:46 AM

Bought a relatively new car in fall of 2007, so I'm probably good for another 10 years before the next car, unless it gets totalled before then in some unfortunate accident.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#42 of 93 Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted February 05 2009 - 11:51 AM

I was just reading there may some small tax break for those who purchase a new car between November 12, 2008 and December 31, 2009. We bought a new car November 10. Just my luck.

#43 of 93 Mike O'Connell

Mike O'Connell

Second Unit

• 490 posts
  • LocationOverland Park KS

Posted February 06 2009 - 06:07 AM

2004 Honda Odyssey EX Minivan - 63K Miles - no repairs beyond normal maintenance and tires (oh yeah - hail damage....)
2006 Acura TL - 32K Miles - has required several repairs under warranty - it has not been the typical Honda product, although I love the way it drives and handles.

Both cars are driven about 12K per year. We usually keep cars for 7-10 years, depending on the milage.

We will be picking up another car by 2013 when our son turns 16. My wife has always wanted a smaller sports car (preferably red) and she may get one then. I don't know if I want to hand over a minivan to a 16-year old boy....

#44 of 93 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,167 posts

Posted February 06 2009 - 07:29 AM

Two days ago, the transmission went on our Suburban. Thankfully, the transmission had enough left to get it to our mechanic. He has hundreds of cars on his lot, and one of them has a replacement transmission for our Suburban.

To hold us over while the Suburban is being repaired, we bought a 1988 Beauville (twelve-passenger) van from him. It has 135,000 miles on it, new tires, a rebuilt transmission, and an engine with less than 10,000 miles on it. He sold it to us for $800. Posted Image Although the van is not from the 1970s, I could not help but think of the Lost episode, Tricia Tenaka Is Dead, in which Hurley (with Vincent's help) finds the van from the 1970s on the island. All I need now is my tape of Shambala. Posted Image

BTW, our van looks much better than this one, but our van is the same color (blue).

Posted Image

Once the Suburban is fixed, we'll have two cars, which we bought for a total of $1,300. Posted Image

#45 of 93 Chris Souders

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted February 06 2009 - 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF
So this thread is full of people with 15 year old, 200k mile cars. I look like a profligate spender in comparison. But our economy and auto industry is built on the new-car-every-three-years buyers and repeat leasers. Where are they? Surely this thread is far from representative.

2005 MB SLK350 hardtop convertible, 16000 miles.. I hardly drive.
Lease ending in June. Want another hardtop convertible.. either BMW 335i, or the new Lexus IS convert or the Infiniti G37 convertible...

As my friend says, you never see an armored car in a funeral procession.

#46 of 93 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,728 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted February 06 2009 - 10:42 AM

I'll be willing to bet there were some TANKS at Gen. Patton's funeral. Posted Image
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#47 of 93 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,728 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted February 09 2009 - 01:54 AM

Dave,
I wonder whether more auto companies will try to take in-house their suppliers. Apparently GM is trying to take back part of Delphi.

GM said to be in talks to reclaim Delphi plants - Yahoo! Finance

Quote:
Troy, Mich.-based Delphi has been operating under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection for more than three years, and like many suppliers is struggling with the shrinking U.S. auto market. The person said GM is worried that the plants could shut down if Delphi runs short of cash, crippling GM's production.

The person ... said the talks have been under way for several weeks and may not lead to any takeover of the plants. GM has had the option to take back factories in its 1999 agreement to spin off Delphi as an independent parts supplier.

#48 of 93 drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 02:19 AM

If one of a companies suppliers stops production due to financial issues, I don't know what option a car company could have but to take it over. If one supplier stops, everything stops.

#49 of 93 Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted February 09 2009 - 10:24 AM

2000 Subaru RS with 90k miles on it. My 'new car' (primary commute vehicle) is actually a bicycle.

#50 of 93 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,848 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 07:38 PM

Well, we went ahead and just got ourselves a certified pre-owned 2006 Toyota Sienna LE w/ just 22K miles on it today (to replace our totalled 2005 Saturn Ion 2). Hopefully, this one will last us a good long time. Posted Image

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#51 of 93 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,647 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 10 2009 - 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockeghem
BTW, our van looks much better than this one, but our van is the same color (blue).

Posted Image
Did your van come with a dead workman and stale beer? And how does that affect the blue book value? I can't find "skeleton" or "Dharma Beer" as options at Edmunds or Kellys website.

#52 of 93 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,167 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 07:18 AM

Quote:
Did your van come with a dead workman and stale beer? And how does that affect the blue book value? I can find "skeleton" or "Dharma Beer" as options at Edmunds or Kellys website.
LOL. No, but the van did come with a book, entitled Hooked On Phonics. Posted Image

#53 of 93 drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted July 03 2009 - 11:38 AM

I bought a new (used) car this week. My son just got his license so I am letting him have the 2004 Grand Am. I bought a 2007 Saturn Ion. It has a 5-speed, sunroof, leather interior and is rated at 34mpg. Nothing really special, but definitely not bad for 10k.

Posted Image

The dealer said that used car prices are starting to go up due to the major auto makers cutting back production. Normally he has 150 new cars on the lot and now he had only 50. That doesn't sound like a good way to sell cars - not having many. They didn't even have any in the showroom.

ARRGGG!!!!! My son is driving by himself for the first time!!!  /img/vbsmilies/htf/eek.gif He went to pick up his girlfriend and go out to dinner. ARRG!!

#54 of 93 Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted July 03 2009 - 12:22 PM

ARRGGG!!!!! My son is driving by himself for the first time!!!  He went to pick up his girlfriend and go out to dinner. ARRG!!

My son will get his permit next Spring.  I'm not looking forward to it.

#55 of 93 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,728 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted July 03 2009 - 01:09 PM

Brian flunks the "new software" test. 

#56 of 93 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,647 posts

Posted July 04 2009 - 02:00 AM

Bryan is a forward thinker, like me. Knowing that features will be reinstated and the old codes will magically work again :D

Dave, enjoy the new car. I got a $500 prognosis for new control arm bushings in my Accord and am wishing for a new car right now...

#57 of 93 drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted July 04 2009 - 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan X 

ARRGGG!!!!! My son is driving by himself for the first time!!!  /img/vbsmilies/htf/eek.gif"> He went to pick up his girlfriend and go out to dinner. ARRG!!

My son will get his permit next Spring.  I'm not looking forward to it.
 Forums, Kids, they are constantly changing and it is hard to keep on top of these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Nicholls 
</div></span>
<div class=Quote:

Bryan is a forward thinker, like me. Knowing that features will be reinstated and the old codes will magically work again :D

Dave, enjoy the new car. I got a $500 prognosis for new control arm bushings in my Accord and am wishing for a new car right now...
My second choice was a Accord two door. The Ion is in a bit better shape so I got it.

#58 of 93 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,647 posts

Posted July 04 2009 - 11:05 AM

The Accord 2 DR is attractive, but I didn't fit in it. It has an uncomfortably low ceiling (and I'm not that tall).

#59 of 93 Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted July 05 2009 - 12:07 PM

I've changed my mind about the first car I'd want to own. It's now a Fiat 500 Abarth! But not the SS version.

Hopefully, with Fiat now owning Chrysler, we might see the car's introduction earlier than expected, possibly at the time my new business will settle in and I'll have enough money to pay for it.

Or the business fails, and I'll have to live in it! /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

#60 of 93 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,647 posts

Posted July 05 2009 - 12:59 PM

I realized today my car will probably hit 100k then end of next year. Which means I need to figure out how "new car" figures in the the budget in the next few years.

I hope GM gets there Chevy Volt out and affordable!

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow