-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Logan's Run BD this year?!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
115 replies to this topic

#1 of 116 Heinz W

Heinz W

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted January 31 2009 - 04:24 AM

Bill Hunt has listed this in his Rumor Mill as one of the catalog titles that Warners is working on for a 2009 release. If true, it's about time! My DVD of this movie is 11 years old, the original MGM disc. It has been re-released by Warners, but not remastered. Same 11 year old transfer. While adequate for the early days of DVD it is anything but by today's standards.

I hope Warners takes the time to remaster and clean up this film as it will benefit tremendously from the HD treatment. From it's excellent cinematography and production design to it's underrated score by Jerry Goldsmith, this should look and sound fantastic on Blu. The work Warners did on the 2001: A Space Odyssey Blu shows me what they're capable of.

One of my childhood (and admittedly adult) favorites has long been one of the films most in need of a new transfer/disc. Not only a new disc this year, but on Blu to boot. Can't wait to see the specs. And Warners, please, no DNR!

#2 of 116 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted January 31 2009 - 05:01 AM

Its one of my favorites too. Not to mention Jenny Augeter (sp?). She was the first girl i ever saw without a top, or anything else on. Stuck in a 13 y/o boys mind for years. Heck, i am 45 now, still stuck in my mind!
But, yes, it does offer more than her. Peter Ustinov's best role, if you ask me. Its a good movie, even if the effects are a tad dated now.

#3 of 116 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted January 31 2009 - 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickER
Its a good movie, even if the effects are a tad dated now.

They were dated the day the film was released! The little model city at the start was a hoot. Still a fun film though.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#4 of 116 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,908 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 31 2009 - 07:03 AM

Not to quibble, but they became dated when Star Wars was released. Prior to SW, effects as you see in Logan's Run were the norm. The model city was pretty cool IMHO.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#5 of 116 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,418 posts

Posted January 31 2009 - 09:35 AM

First time I ever saw nudity in a movie. Could they even get away with that much in a PG film now? Posted Image

The short-lived tv series based on the movie would be a nice extra.

#6 of 116 Heinz W

Heinz W

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted January 31 2009 - 09:39 AM

Those dated effects won an Oscar in 1977. Hard to believe, huh? The CG visual effects in Jurassic Park look dated, and that's a much newer film. You can say that about a lot of movies. They are, like all films, products of their time. It doesn't lessen my enjoyment of them one iota. I still enjoy the visual effects in King Kong (1933) just as much as I do those in The Dark Knight. It's all good to me, even if it's 'bad' compared to what we have today.

Logan's Run is no exception.

#7 of 116 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted January 31 2009 - 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz W
The CG visual effects in Jurassic Park look dated

Please. I'd say JURASSIC PARK's effects are still in the top five CG effects in film history, and it took over a decade, with effects like CHRONICLES OF NARNIA's Aslan and the revamped KING KONG before CG ever began to match the photorealistic bar of quality set by JP in '93.
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#8 of 116 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 5,994 posts

Posted January 31 2009 - 09:59 AM

I think this is very encouraging, if it's true. Personally, I do not have an interest in LOGAN'S RUN, but it may open the door for two similar films of the sci-fi '70s I want in this genre -- WESTWORLD and SOYLENT GREEN.

#9 of 116 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted January 31 2009 - 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz W
Those dated effects won an Oscar in 1977.

I'd like to think that was more for the Washington DC matte paintings than the model city, but, we'll never know.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#10 of 116 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 5,994 posts

Posted January 31 2009 - 10:07 AM

People can criticize so-called "dated effects" all they like; I'll take ANY of 'em over crap like a CGI cartoon Hulk.

#11 of 116 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,576 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted January 31 2009 - 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickER
Its one of my favorites too. Not to mention Jenny Augeter (sp?). She was the first girl i ever saw without a top, or anything else on. Stuck in a 13 y/o boys mind for years. Heck, i am 45 now, still stuck in my mind!
But, yes, it does offer more than her. Peter Ustinov's best role, if you ask me. Its a good movie, even if the effects are a tad dated now.
This will be a certain addition to the collection (Jenny Agutter--mmmm...excuse me, where was I? Posted Image ). However, I have to say Ustinov's best role has to be in Spartacus.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#12 of 116 Heinz W

Heinz W

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted January 31 2009 - 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Brashear
Please. I'd say JURASSIC PARK's effects are still in the top five CG effects in film history, and it took over a decade, with effects like CHRONICLES OF NARNIA's Aslan and the revamped KING KONG before CG ever began to match the photorealistic bar of quality set by JP in '93.

JP is still impressive, just not as much as it was in '93. The CG dinosaurs in JP do not look photorealistic to me. It's quite apparent to me that many of the dinos are CG creations. YMMV. I still love the movie though.

Quote:
People can criticize so-called "dated effects" all they like; I'll take ANY of 'em over crap like a CGI cartoon Hulk.

Right on Joe, my sentiments exactly.

#13 of 116 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted January 31 2009 - 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi

Let me just add, that while i do find the effects dated, i still enjoy them immensely! Some fantastic model work, and some of the most amazing matte paintings ever done. Like i say, its a good movie.

#14 of 116 Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted January 31 2009 - 05:43 PM

This is one of those films that has always stuck with me and IMHO right in there with Outland and Screamers; two other films that deserve the BD trreatment!
Peter

My Collection

#15 of 116 Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted February 01 2009 - 04:13 AM

It would be great if this was coming this year, but I'd still say it would be more likely if it was coming next year around the time the remake is released.

#16 of 116 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted February 01 2009 - 04:19 AM

Quote:
I think this is very encouraging, if it's true. Personally, I do not have an interest in LOGAN'S RUN, but it may open the door for two similar films of the sci-fi '70s I want in this genre -- WESTWORLD and SOYLENT GREEN.

If you want Soylent Green and Westworld then you'd better pray those get remade as CGI extravaganzas in the near future cause that's the only way they'll make it out on Blu-ray.
Death before Streaming!

#17 of 116 Blimpboy

Blimpboy

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted February 01 2009 - 06:42 AM

There was a deluxe laserdisc of Logan's Run that had many extras not ported over to the SD release. I hope they could be found as well.

#18 of 116 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted February 01 2009 - 08:16 AM

Quote:

At least the CGI Hulk actually approaches the look of the comic character. That is more than I can say for painting a musclehead green. I don't get the hate for CGI characters, even when their use is appropriate. There are some characters, especially in comics, that dictate the use of CGI because real actors can never approach the proportions required.

There are a lot more movies that deserve to be released on BD before Logan's Run. LR hasn't aged well in almost any regard.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#19 of 116 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,455 posts

Posted February 01 2009 - 09:25 AM

My problem with the LR effects is not that they're dated, but cheesy. The Roscoe Lee Browne robot looks silly compared to, say, Robby the Robot, made a full 20 years earlier. The guns with the little flame jets also looked silly compared to earlier ray gun effects.

#20 of 116 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,418 posts

Posted February 01 2009 - 04:56 PM

I don't think the Sandmen guns were ever meant to be like ray guns. Especially since there are lasers elsewhere in the film.

It's kind of interesting the hologram FX in the Star Wars films seem more "real" to people than the real ones of Michael York in the interrogation scene.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow