What's new

New iMac's likely soon (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Now if 10.6 would come out too, I can upgrade my wife's computer.

But weren't there "shortages" on something last year and the alleged refresh was months afterwards. It seems these shortages are sometimes just low stock.

It might also be reduction of inventory in the face of a poor economy.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
An iMac refresh (not redesign) is overdue. We all know it's coming, but when, and in what form?? This article on AppleInsider from last week posits that Apple still had not decided whether to go quad-core on the iMacs or not.

My current iMac is getting a little long in the tooth. I'm primed to order a 24" quad-core model as soon as it's available. However, if they skip the quad-core this next refresh I can wait.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The question is will they come out with larger iMacs, like a 30" model? My guess would be no (rumors of a 28" iMac notwithstanding) because even the 30" ACD refresh hasn't yet materialized. Where are those Display Port ACDs, Apple?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mac Pro may also see a facelift as well. I am getting notices from
some of the online Mac retailers about price reductions in the Mac Pro
line.

It's going to be an expensive year as I would certainly buy a new
Mac Pro and Macbook Pro (15") if they offered substantial revisions.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'd guess no, too. A 30" iMac would cost about $3000, and so far Apple's iMac line has been well under $3k. The iMac line alrady has the most baseline choices with four; adding a 30" further complicates the choices which Apple clearly wants streamlined. And 20" monitors are still very popular and a good size; so it's too early to drop that for say a 24" & 28" lineup.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
They could opt for a 22" and maybe 25"-28" model to replace the current sizes. There is certainly no problem with availability of such panels.

If they did that, it would open up a little room for a lower end model with a 19" panel coming in under the current low end price. This might help sales in our current economy.

-KeithP

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of low cost Macrumors has a purported Mac Mini picture with a FW800 & dual video out (Mini Display Port/Mini DVI), 5 USBs. Hope it's true, and that there is at least BTO a relatively fast processor. Blu-ray -- not likely to put it mildly.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, the guy who originally posted the MacMini photo on Macrumors is claiming mid March updates.

The question also is if Apple will have a special event or just silently release everything. My money is on a special event, which means 10+ days lead-time for press invites.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. I'm betting they also introduce something totally new -- be it display related or otherwise. If they just bump the iMac & Minis, no event.

Also Intel is suing NVIDIA, over the chip set allegedly in the new iMacs/MacPros -- so that may throw a wrench in the works.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508