Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

AVG Anti-Virus: update glitch?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Peter McM

Peter McM

Supporting Actor

• 923 posts

Posted January 29 2009 - 10:12 PM

I run the highly-rated AVG Free Version for my anti-virus software. It seems to do a really good job, but lately the update manager is frequently prompting me to restart my computer, even when no new updates have been downloaded. Can I still count on the updater to do its job?
I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted January 29 2009 - 11:16 PM

I used to use AVG Free and switched to Avast! free anti-virus. You may want to look into that one. I've not had a single problem with it. I would sometimess have problems with AVG not updating properly.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Peter McM

Peter McM

Supporting Actor

• 923 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 01:27 AM

Thanks, Bryan. Can I run Avast and AVG simultaneously? I know some anti-virus/spyware programs interfere with each other.
I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,069 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 30 2009 - 05:12 AM

Highly doubtful, I don't know any AV programs that coexist. Several won't even install if another AV is in place.

I will occasionally uninstall my main AV and run a second (or even 3rd program) a couple times a year just to make sure the computer is clean. I'm currently using ESET on 2 of the main computers (got it for 10/yr) and AVG Free on my wife's laptop. Avast works well, but AVG has such a long history and she's not a Internet Surfer so I figured any good free program would be fine.

Back to the OP, I've never seen any problem with unnecessary reboots.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Joe Maiurro

Joe Maiurro

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted February 14 2009 - 10:40 AM

I use free edition Avast for my anti-virus and SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition 4.24 for my spyware. Works great together and it's all free. I was using AVG but I was having nothing but problems with it.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Joe D

Joe D

Supporting Actor

• 839 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 12:02 AM

Like others here, I switched to Avast.

I could never download any updates from the AVG free server. Unfortunately the free server is the only server that AVG allows you to download updates from.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 15 2009 - 12:56 AM

I'm surprised to hear that so many people have had problems with AVG. I've been using it for years and years and have only had a problem once: A couple of years ago it kept hanging during update downloads, probably due to a damaged or corrupt file. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and haven't single issue (with the program itself or with a virus) since. Obviously YMMV, but I thought that folks reading this thread should know that lots of people are very happy using AVG and have not experienced the problems described here.

Regards,

Joe

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,667 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 15 2009 - 02:55 AM

I use AVG, and occasionally get a message that the automatic update has not downloaded due to a busy server. If I do a manual update, though, it almost always works. Otherwise, I've experienced no issues with the program.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter

• 1,327 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 11:54 PM

Same thing here, have used AVG for several years now. I have it set-up to d/l updates automatically in the background. Unless my internet connect is down, it usually gets the update fine. I have it on all 4 PCs inthe household.