What's new

Indy trilogy possibly to Blu by year's end (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I can't imagine why they didn't get the first 3 on BR when they released Crystal Skull...they took the trouble then to re-re-re-release them on dvd, why not BR?

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn

IMO, the answer is $$$$$. They sell more DVDs and BDs by releasing them one year apart.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Any ad campaign will reach a lot more customers when there are more players out. Studios are waiting for market penetration to reach a certain level.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I think Crystal Skull was a blu-ray test case for Lucasfilm. From what I understand it sold very well.

Doug

Joe_G

Second Unit
And also, if you look at Lucasfilm's releases on dvd, starting in 2000 with Tucker, they've released at least one new title a year, ending with ROTS. Lucas likes to spread his releases out, at least he did on dvd. Here's what Lucas did release-wise on dvd:

2000 - Tucker : The Man and his Dream
2001 - TPM, Willow
2002 - AOTC
2003 - Indy Trilogy
2004 - SW:OT, THX-1138 (non-Lucasfilm title)
2005 - ROTS

After this, all we pretty much saw we're rereleases/repackaging of SW and Indy.

Graffiti came out in 1998 I believe, but I don't know how much control Lucas had over that one, as far as the dvd coming out goes. I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been an rerelease of any kind of Graffiti, especially when we saw it pretty early on in the dvd format.

I hope Indy 1-3 does come out this year, and if I remember, Bill Hunt said that there were rumors of more Indy in 2009 when KOTCS was released on dvd/BD. If this holds up, let's hope that SW will start to trickle out next year.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I just hope these are released individually, I only want Raiders.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Graffiti is completely under the control of Universal. They did actually do a re-release of Graffiti as a flipper disc with More Graffiti on the B side.

Doug

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'm still very skeptical these will come out this year. I don't think the install base is where they would want it --- yet.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Their history with DVD shows that they did nothing to grow the format, but instead waited to take advantage of the growth spurred by others. It would not be surprising to see them take the same approach with Blu Ray.

Joe_G

Second Unit

I was thinking more along the lines of like a 2 disc edition with more extras, along with remastered video and audio in 5.1, not that the current release is bad by any means. Lucas has had Lowry restore all of his other main titles, so I wonder if they will or already have done anything on Graffiti for a future, more elaborate dvd/BD release.

MatS

Screenwriter
[sarcasm]yeah, because they won't release these countless times over[/sarcasm]

they may have had a reason to wait when moving from VHS to DVD
VHS was hardly an "ownership" format given the popularity of rental establishments and the high costs of purchasing.

now most people already own these movies that want them on some format

you can only sell 0% of something that isn't released
why not put it out and sell more than zero and pick up sales as people move over to the format

MatS

Screenwriter
right and the first release came late in the lifecycle of the format
6 whole years ago and was released again as mentioned last year

and now it will be released early in the lifecycle of the BD format and will see re-releases in the future

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Considering DVD has been out for 12 years now and Indy has only been re-released twice, I would hardly all it "countless times." (I'm defining 're-released' here as a different encode and new extras....more substantive stuff if you will.)

Studios in general usually wait for larger install bases before releasing their top seller catalogs as they feel they will sell more that way instead of releasing it when the install numbers are lower. A lot of marketing obviously plays into it. I remember the DVD getting a lot of marketing with the install based a lot higher. This is why huge blockbuster, catalog titles don't come out during the first or second year of a format.

VHS did become an "ownership" format as time went on. Maybe not quite to the same degree as DVD (though I'm just speculating). Later in years - even well before DVD - VHS movies were extremely affordable. In 1995, I remember buying the original trilogy Star Wars boxset for about $25.00 from Media Play if memory serves me. I also remember similar prices of other movies before 1995.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks