What's new

Superfriends dvds opinions? (1 Viewer)

troy evans

Screenwriter
I've been considering pulling the trigger and buying the 1973 and 1977 sets. With the New Superfriends Hour vol.2 hitting store shelves I'm finding myself wanting to go back in time and relive these cartoons I grew up watching. I was wondering if their worth it on dvd. I'm interested in the quality of the PQ overall. Anyone on here who owns these sets that would like to chime in, please do.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I don't know who you've been talking to, but the 1973 series (with Wendy, Marvin, and Wonderdog) has yet to be released on disc.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I have all of them but All New vol. 2. The picture quality is good. Probably better than what was originally seen. Not flawless by any means, but appropriate to the time and technology used.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Thanks Scott, for replying. Based on that, I'll go ahead and pick these up. I may even bite on that "New Adventures of Batman" dvd set. I just want a bit of nostalgia.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
You would think that the 1973 series would be the next one released. Since there are 16 1 hour episodes, WHV will probably release it as two separate volumes, like they did with The All-New Super Friends Hour. The only other candidates for the next release would be 1979's World's Greatest Super Friends and the 1980's shorts.

I've heard rumors that the 1973 series needs more restoration work compared to the others. (It was cut into 32 30 minutes episodes back in the 70's.) I hope that we'd get the series in its original format on DVD.

Plus, I agree with the other posters that current DVDs have these cartoons look as good as they ever have. I especially like that the educational and decoders spots were included. (At least on Volume 1. I just got Volume 2 last night and haven't checked those episodes yet.) Which bodes well for the original series.

MattSav

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
With this latest release, what remains to be released from Superfriends other than the 1973 16 episode hour long series? I know there were a number of new shorts in the 1980-1982 run, but apart from that, I'm baffled as to what else is unreleased? The episode guides online are a bit confusing to map up against the released DVDs.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I use this website to parse what's out there.

Will's Ultimate Super Friends Episode Guide!

So far there's:
The All-New Super Friends Hour, Volumes 1 & 2 (1977)
Challenge of the Super Friends/Super Friends, Volume 2 (1978)
Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show (1984)
The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians (1985)

That leaves Super Friends (1973, 16 episodes), World's Greatest Super Friends (1979, 8 episodes) and the 1980-83 shorts (65, if I've counted correctly).

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
The 1973 season of "Super Friends" is available for download on iTunes and it is in its original format. On most of the sixteen episodes they have included the "next week promo" that came just before the end credits. It has been fun watching these classic episodes again.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I have all of the released sets so far and have been really enjoying them. It's a very fun show and I agree the episodes look really good. The featurettes are pretty interesting too. My favourite incarnation is the Challenge of the Super Friends.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Challenge was my favorite as a child. But when I gave ANSFH V2 a quick scan this past weekend, I got a rush of nostalgia and remembered how good the 1977 series was. It felt like I was 10 years old again.

I think the writers on Challenge were hampered by having to juggle 24 main characters in a half-hour show. The All-New Super Friends Hour format gave them more flexibility in what kind of stories to tell. I also like that super heroes were shown as being friends to children, an attitude that's fallen by the way side these days.

These episode look complete (each running over 46 minutes), including the correct next week preview before the final credits, and all the PSAs, magic tricks, crafts and decoder spots.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant

Mine too.

I think the best release so far are these All New Superfriends hour discs.
By actually putting the show back together as it was originally broadcast
is just the best way to watch it years later. Finally a great job!! Let's not
bring up "the Archie's" and other shows that have been released in syndicated
formats (cough-dynomutt-cough...)

-g

troy evans

Screenwriter
Alright. You guys have convinced me to buy these sets. I can't wait to relive the childhood a bit.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Oh man, is this stuff great. I haven't laughed this hard in a good while. Batman and Robin in the Batmobile stopping at a motel to spend the night. Aquaman being bitch handled by an invisible killer whale and Superman has to save him. An intergalatic group of ants exiles their worst criminals to Earth to get them off their hands, "Their Earth's problem now"....too funny. Nice to see the galaxy has no trouble dumping their crap in our backyard. The best so far is Wonder Woman stopping to tell a kid how impressed she is that he followed the Law and used the crosswalk to go across the street. You know as the galaxies greatest heroes they have nothing better to do than watch traffic intersections. This stuff is a riot and I'm glad I bought it. Looking forward to the hilarity to come from this and future seasons.

MattSav

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt

With the announcement this past weekend of "Superfriends: The Lost Episodes", does that take care of some of the 1980-1983 shorts from the unreleased list above? The press release states that 24 cartoons are included.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant

yes, it would be the last 3rd of the shorts.

Is it me, or has the release order of the SuperFriends series been done at random?
Maybe they're picking the set order out of a hat. Why didn't they start at
the beginning, and work through it in order? Whatever, i'm happy more
are on the way. I really enjoyed the AllNewSuperfriendsHour release,
really great format for a show!

Here's a great superfriends chronology:
http://user1291318.sites.myregistere...uide/id16.html

-g

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks