Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Superfriends dvds opinions?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted January 28 2009 - 08:23 PM

I've been considering pulling the trigger and buying the 1973 and 1977 sets. With the New Superfriends Hour vol.2 hitting store shelves I'm finding myself wanting to go back in time and relive these cartoons I grew up watching. I was wondering if their worth it on dvd. I'm interested in the quality of the PQ overall. Anyone on here who owns these sets that would like to chime in, please do.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#2 of 24 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,879 posts

Posted January 29 2009 - 12:31 AM

I don't know who you've been talking to, but the 1973 series (with Wendy, Marvin, and Wonderdog) has yet to be released on disc.
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#3 of 24 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted January 29 2009 - 05:26 AM

Okay....make it 1977 and 1978 Superfriends. The same question as before.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#4 of 24 ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted January 29 2009 - 09:42 AM

I have all of them but All New vol. 2. The picture quality is good. Probably better than what was originally seen. Not flawless by any means, but appropriate to the time and technology used.

#5 of 24 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted January 29 2009 - 08:01 PM

Thanks Scott, for replying. Based on that, I'll go ahead and pick these up. I may even bite on that "New Adventures of Batman" dvd set. I just want a bit of nostalgia. Posted Image

#6 of 24 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted January 29 2009 - 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Ellis
I don't know who you've been talking to, but the 1973 series (with Wendy, Marvin, and Wonderdog) has yet to be released on disc.
I did not know that. Thanks for the heads up. Is it on the way sooner rather than later?

#7 of 24 Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 04:11 AM

You would think that the 1973 series would be the next one released. Since there are 16 1 hour episodes, WHV will probably release it as two separate volumes, like they did with The All-New Super Friends Hour. The only other candidates for the next release would be 1979's World's Greatest Super Friends and the 1980's shorts.

I've heard rumors that the 1973 series needs more restoration work compared to the others. (It was cut into 32 30 minutes episodes back in the 70's.) I hope that we'd get the series in its original format on DVD.

Plus, I agree with the other posters that current DVDs have these cartoons look as good as they ever have. I especially like that the educational and decoders spots were included. (At least on Volume 1. I just got Volume 2 last night and haven't checked those episodes yet.) Which bodes well for the original series.

BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

#8 of 24 MattSav

MattSav

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 09:04 AM

With this latest release, what remains to be released from Superfriends other than the 1973 16 episode hour long series? I know there were a number of new shorts in the 1980-1982 run, but apart from that, I'm baffled as to what else is unreleased? The episode guides online are a bit confusing to map up against the released DVDs.

#9 of 24 Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 09:33 AM

I use this website to parse what's out there.

Will's Ultimate Super Friends Episode Guide!

So far there's:
The All-New Super Friends Hour, Volumes 1 & 2 (1977)
Challenge of the Super Friends/Super Friends, Volume 2 (1978)
Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show (1984)
The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians (1985)

That leaves Super Friends (1973, 16 episodes), World's Greatest Super Friends (1979, 8 episodes) and the 1980-83 shorts (65, if I've counted correctly).

#10 of 24 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,716 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tucker
That leaves Super Friends (1973, 16 episodes), World's Greatest Super Friends (1979, 8 episodes) and the 1980-83 shorts (65, if I've counted correctly).

does seem like they have 4 more 2-disc boxsets coming.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#11 of 24 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 609 posts

Posted February 02 2009 - 11:06 AM

The 1973 season of "Super Friends" is available for download on iTunes and it is in its original format. On most of the sixteen episodes they have included the "next week promo" that came just before the end credits. It has been fun watching these classic episodes again.

#12 of 24 Ron68

Ron68

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts

Posted February 02 2009 - 04:53 PM

I have all of the released sets so far and have been really enjoying them. It's a very fun show and I agree the episodes look really good. The featurettes are pretty interesting too. My favourite incarnation is the Challenge of the Super Friends.

#13 of 24 Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted February 04 2009 - 07:19 AM

Challenge was my favorite as a child. But when I gave ANSFH V2 a quick scan this past weekend, I got a rush of nostalgia and remembered how good the 1977 series was. It felt like I was 10 years old again.

I think the writers on Challenge were hampered by having to juggle 24 main characters in a half-hour show. The All-New Super Friends Hour format gave them more flexibility in what kind of stories to tell. I also like that super heroes were shown as being friends to children, an attitude that's fallen by the way side these days.

These episode look complete (each running over 46 minutes), including the correct next week preview before the final credits, and all the PSAs, magic tricks, crafts and decoder spots.

#14 of 24 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 721 posts

Posted February 04 2009 - 01:11 PM

Quote:
[size="2"]Challenge was my favorite as a child.

Mine too.

I think the best release so far are these All New Superfriends hour discs.
By actually putting the show back together as it was originally broadcast
is just the best way to watch it years later. Finally a great job!! Let's not
bring up "the Archie's" and other shows that have been released in syndicated
formats (cough-dynomutt-cough...)

-g

#15 of 24 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted February 04 2009 - 06:20 PM

Alright. You guys have convinced me to buy these sets. I can't wait to relive the childhood a bit.

#16 of 24 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted February 09 2009 - 09:26 PM

Oh man, is this stuff great. I haven't laughed this hard in a good while. Batman and Robin in the Batmobile stopping at a motel to spend the night. Aquaman being bitch handled by an invisible killer whale and Superman has to save him. An intergalatic group of ants exiles their worst criminals to Earth to get them off their hands, "Their Earth's problem now"....too funny. Nice to see the galaxy has no trouble dumping their crap in our backyard. The best so far is Wonder Woman stopping to tell a kid how impressed she is that he followed the Law and used the crosswalk to go across the street. You know as the galaxies greatest heroes they have nothing better to do than watch traffic intersections. This stuff is a riot and I'm glad I bought it. Looking forward to the hilarity to come from this and future seasons.

#17 of 24 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,716 posts

Posted February 10 2009 - 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy evans
Oh man, is this stuff great. I haven't laughed this hard in a good while. Batman and Robin in the Batmobile stopping at a motel to spend the night. Aquaman being bitch handled by an invisible killer whale and Superman has to save him. An intergalatic group of ants exiles their worst criminals to Earth to get them off their hands, "Their Earth's problem now"....too funny. Nice to see the galaxy has no trouble dumping their crap in our backyard. The best so far is Wonder Woman stopping to tell a kid how impressed she is that he followed the Law and used the crosswalk to go across the street. You know as the galaxies greatest heroes they have nothing better to do than watch traffic intersections. This stuff is a riot and I'm glad I bought it. Looking forward to the hilarity to come from this and future seasons.

wait till you see the name of the new hotel that the rats attack
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#18 of 24 Nick Zbu

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted February 19 2009 - 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy evans

Lousy Zantis giving us their problems!! Posted Image

#19 of 24 MattSav

MattSav

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted April 27 2009 - 11:15 AM

Quote:

With the announcement this past weekend of "Superfriends: The Lost Episodes", does that take care of some of the 1980-1983 shorts from the unreleased list above? The press release states that 24 cartoons are included.

#20 of 24 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 721 posts

Posted April 27 2009 - 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSav
With the announcement this past weekend of "Superfriends: The Lost Episodes", does that take care of some of the 1980-1983 shorts from the unreleased list above? The press release states that 24 cartoons are included.

yes, it would be the last 3rd of the shorts.

Is it me, or has the release order of the SuperFriends series been done at random?
Maybe they're picking the set order out of a hat. Why didn't they start at
the beginning, and work through it in order? Whatever, i'm happy more
are on the way. I really enjoyed the AllNewSuperfriendsHour release,
really great format for a show!

Here's a great superfriends chronology:
http://user1291318.s....uide/id16.html

-g

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow