Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HT make over

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   foldog22

foldog22

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted January 28 2009 - 01:07 AM

Hello All,

Looking for some advice on replacing my current system. I currently have the following setup

Panasonic 42" plasma - 1080i / 720P
Panasonic Home Theater System - All in One - 5 speaker system.
PS3
Direct TV - With HD
IPOD - IPOD TOUCH

I am working on a rolling budget, meaning, I plan on piece mailing the system together. Right now I have $700.00 to spend, with another $1000.00 coming late "09".

I would guess replacing the TV will be the last piece. So right now, I have $700.00 to spend. What would you all suggest buying first? I am looking for a good all around system. I play PS3 quite a bit, I watch Blu-Ray quiet a bit. I listen to music when hosting a party(I am very intrigued by HD radio, not a necessity).

From what I am reading I would guess the Onkyo 606 would meet my needs. Looks like I could get the 606 for around $400.00 (Amazon). That would leave me $300.00 for speakers or would I better off going with a more expensive receiver such as the 706 or 806 and getting speakers down the road?

I want this set up to be done right, not just buy something to get me by. I want it to last a long time. So I don't mind just buying an expensive receiver now and waiting on the rest but if a cheaper receiver will work, then it would be nice to go ahead and get it with a $300.00 sub maybe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Kevin Stewart

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit

• 359 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted January 28 2009 - 02:59 AM

Well, speakers are what will last you the longest. A good set of speakers could last you a lifetime, but receivers and displays will be upgraded every few years. My first suggestion would be to put that $700 in the bank and wait until you get the other $1000 to do something. A new receiver will be nice, but you'll still be using it with HTIB speakers, so I don't know how much of a difference you'll get out of it. If you waited, however, that same $700 9 months from now will be able to get a much nicer receiver and you'll immediately hear the benefits as you'll be able to get decent speakers at the same time.

If you must get a new receiver right now, my recommendation would be to go to videogon.com and look for a Pio Elite VSX03TXH being sold by Will2 (for $499). He's an authorized dealer (I have no affiliation, BTW). Shoot him a message and give him a call. It's an insane price (it's $900 - $1000 everywhere else) on an excellent Elite receiver.
"the dream never dies, just the dreamer"

#3 of 7 ONLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted January 28 2009 - 03:51 AM

Just be careful pairing a receiver like the Pioneer with those HTiB speakers. You could destroy them quickly (test tones, cranking the volume, etc).

Also, if your old HTiB doesn't have a powered sub, you may not be able to use it all with a new receiver.

If you must spend the money now, I say get a receiver (Onkyo 576) and a sub (SVS - http://www.svsound.c...-box-10nsd.cfm). Then later spend the $1000 on good speakers.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   foldog22

foldog22

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted January 28 2009 - 04:12 AM

Here are the spec's on my speakers, let me know if this helps...

RMS Output Power: Dolby Digital Mode
Front Ch 250 W per channel (6 ≠), 1 kHz, 10 % THD
Surround Ch 100 W per channel (4 ≠), 1 kHz, 10 % THD
Center Ch 250 W per channel (6 ≠), 1 kHz, 10 % THD
Subwoofer Ch 250 W per channel (6 ≠), 100 Hz, 10 % THD
Total RMS Dolby Digital mode power 1200 W
FTC Output Power: Dolby Digital Mode
Front Ch 104 W per channel (6 ≠), 120 Hz–20 kHz, 1 % THD
Surround Ch 34 W per channel (4 ≠), 120 Hz–20 kHz, 1 % THD
Center Ch 101 W per channel (6 ≠), 120 Hz–20 kHz, 1 % THD
Subwoofer Ch 95 W per channel (6 ≠), 45 Hz–120 Hz, 1 % THD
Total FTC Dolby Digital mode power 472 W

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   foldog22

foldog22

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted January 28 2009 - 06:44 AM

Also, I am trying to look at reviews of the Pioneer VSX-03TXH and really can't find anything, good or bad. Does anybody here have experience with this receiver? Is it better than the Onkyo ones?

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   foldog22

foldog22

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted January 28 2009 - 02:33 PM

Anybody have any thoughts on the Pioneer AVR?

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   LD9000

LD9000

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted July 21 2009 - 12:50 AM

Looks like this reply is old now --  but in the small chance you didn't buy anything yet, definitely check out the Pioneer Elite VSX-03.  I got mine about a month ago, and didn't find this thread until now.  I upgraded from a Denon 2800 receiver, and while I swore I would always be a Denon fan, I fell in love with this Pioneer from day one.  For the price, I say its unbeatable.  I'm still tweaking it after a month, and still having fun doing so.  The clarity and performance of this thing is unreal and has to be heard.  I had a home theater before I bought this receiver - I now have something surreal thanks to the incredible performance of this thing.  I also bought a Pansonic Blu-Ray player to go along for the ride and the only word I can think of right now is "stunning".  I am now a Pioneer Elite fan for life.