Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Question regarding upgrading hard drive on Macbook Pro

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,367 posts

Posted January 28 2009 - 12:39 AM

In about two weeks I will probably upgrade my 120GB Macbook Pro hard drive to 320GB. Already have a drive selected as a friend from work recently upgraded his drive. I want to avoid having to reinstall everything. My question is simple... If I copy everything to an external drive using SuperDuper, can I simply restore it to the new drive and expect everything to work fine? Or, is there information a hard drive writes to the software that is only compatible with that drive? Thanks

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,126 posts

Posted January 28 2009 - 03:03 AM

I don't use SuperDuper, though I've heard good things about it, and it sounds like you just make a bootable clone and away you go. I use Carbon Copy Cloner (latest version) and it is a simple clone -> swap HDs -> as if you were using the same HD but with more empty space. I've swapped my MBP HD twice now (120 to 200 to 320GB) and it's worked like a charm each time. I also back up and clone back to my HD every 6 months or so to defrag because that's a side benefit to using CCC (and Super Duper I assume).

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,349 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted January 28 2009 - 11:05 AM

SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner will make the job painless for you, Ron.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted January 29 2009 - 07:19 AM

Ron, do you have your current drive backed up to Time Machine? You can easily setup your new drive with all your old stuff directly from the time machine if you do. I used this method a few months ago when I switched machines and it was easy and worked very well. -EJ
 Visit my blog coregeek.net

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,367 posts

Posted January 29 2009 - 11:24 AM

Eric, No. I don't currently use Time Machine because the HP Media Center I bought does not support it. However, they are issuing a software update soon that will enable support. I can just use SuperDuper. Should work fine.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted January 29 2009 - 12:50 PM

Yeah, I'm sure Super Duper will do the trick. I just mentioned the TM solution because it requires no extra backing up or file transferring if you're already using it. -EJ
 Visit my blog coregeek.net

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,326 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted January 29 2009 - 03:48 PM

Yes. I backed up to superduper, booted from the external backup, reformatted my internal drive and repartitioned it for BootCamp, and then did a full restore from the external back to the internal. It pretty easy and straightforward. I suggest not wiping the original until you've booted from the external and done a "sanity" check that it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users