Photo

Ca someone recommend a decent Region 1 release of IN WHICH SERVE?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Dick

Dick

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts

Posted January 27 2009 - 03:36 PM

Having purchased the David Lean Box set from Korea that MGM cancelled in the states, the only remaining film of the sixteen he made that I need to purchase is IN WHICH WE SERVE, which Criterion released as a laser disc but has not gotten around to on DVD. This must be a public domain title as there are zillions of editions out there, but is there a truly worthy Region 1 version available? Good contrast, sharpness, with minimal scratches, etc.? Please share any information! Many thanks in advance.

#2 of 8 Dick

Dick

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts

Posted January 29 2009 - 03:49 PM

Guess not, huh?

#3 of 8 Charles H

Charles H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 03:44 AM

Well--much to my surprise--MGM finally brought out the aborted Alfred Hitchcock Collection last year so something tells me the David Lean Collection (IN WHICH WE SERVE, MADELINE, BLITHE SPIRIT, GREAT EXPECTATIONS, THIS HAPPY BREED, etc.) is rotting in a warehouse still. Never say never, but the economy is going to trump a lot of dvd production.
Charles Hoyt

#4 of 8 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Advanced Member

• 6,056 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted January 30 2009 - 03:48 AM

I will recommend one when somebody produces one. Posted Image

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#5 of 8 Dick

Dick

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 04:35 AM

I ordered a Korean box set of David Lean, which has nine titles, one fewer than the announced/cancelled domestic box set...this one does not contain IN WHICH WE SERVE. I am seeking a Korean edition of that single title now. I am guessing the transfer would be similar to that MGM would have released, except with the addition of removable Korean subtitles. In any case, the set is costing me $50.00 including shipping, and I will let you all know how it looks when it arrives.

#6 of 8 Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 08:47 AM

I've been dying for a decent R1 release of BLITHE SPIRIT for years now. The R2 is okay but the PAL speed-up is too distracting. Besides, I'm hoping the MGM produced disc might be sharper.

I've never seen IN WHICH WE SERVE (I'm ashamed to admit) but I'd like to.

#7 of 8 John Hodson

John Hodson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted January 30 2009 - 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Krupp
I've been dying for a decent R1 release of BLITHE SPIRIT for years now. The R2 is okay but the PAL speed-up is too distracting. Besides, I'm hoping the MGM produced disc might be sharper.

Your referring to last year's newly restored version Will? PAL speed-up issues aside (sorry, I grew up with it) IMHO it's an absolute peach (as is the newly restored IWWS).
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#8 of 8 RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted February 01 2009 - 05:00 AM

I can't recommend a good DVD version, but it's been on MGM's HD station (and looked great), so I am hopefully a DVD will be coming out in the future.

SMK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users