What's new

New equipment suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the final stages of planning my new HT purchases. I think I have all the equipment picked out so I wanted to run a few questions by the experts.

1. TV Samsung 650 52"
2. Denon 1909 Receiver
3. Comcast HD cable box
4. Wii
5. Old DVD player (Insignia ???)

First of all does anyone see any compatibility issues? The only thing I have currently is the Wii and DVD player. Will be getting an HD box from comcast. TV and Receiver will be purchased soon.
Probably not alot of funds left over for a Blu Ray player so I am hoping the DVD player will suffuce.

I also will need a mount for the LCD and a long hdmi cable. I will probably go with monoprice for both. HDMI cable needs to be ~40 ft. I saw a 50 ft Silver PLated Copper that got decent reviews. It's linger than I want but I don't think the 35 ft would quite reach.

Mount will need to be something that extends out a few inches do to the awkward set up of my living room. And this is all for a living room, not a dedicated home theater room.

Any thoughts on any of this?

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
Nothing wrong with those selections as long as they fit your needs. For example:

Why LCD? Why 52"? Why the 1909?

Dennis Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin
Just decided on LCD rather than plasma. A friend of mine has both LCD and plasma and I looked at his. I don't think I can go wrong either way.

52" because I sit about 12 ft. back. And it will be higher than eye level. I have to put it over the fireplace.

I've never used Denon but reading reviews of receivers ~$500 the 1909 seems to have less issues.

Chris
I forgot to add that I have an older JBL "N" speaker system. Four N24's and an N center. Also SOny 10" sub. It will be replaced hopefully one day but should be OK for now.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The Denon is a good option, it offers video conversion from analog video to HDMI which you'll need for your Wii and DVD player. Run HDMI from your comcast box to the receiver & do the same for your future Bluray player.

Dennis Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks.

I know it may be a hard question to answer but how do you think the dvd player will look? I know it's not gonna be BluRay but I've never seen bluray so I won't know waht I'm missing.

The dvd is Insignia NS-1UCDVD.

trimule

Auditioning
Real Name
Lewis
No offence meant but,the Insignia NS-1UCDVD is pretty low end ($19 on eBay)
You're going to have a nice set up there, so beg, borrow, buy or steal to put in another $250 and get a BlueRay player. Believe me - You WILL see the difference. It will spoil you, though. I was watching a perfectly good upconverted copy of "Oh, Brother..." tonight and caught myself saying "Geez, this looks like crap!"

Dennis Ellis

Stunt Coordinator

None taken. I had to get a new one in a pinch and it has been great so far.

Believe me, I am considering it. Finally ordered the TV, Receiver, and cables/mount. SHould all be in by next thursday if the tracking info is accurate. Probably won't get a chance to mess with anything until the weekend though.

I started to do some research on bluray players but got overwhelmed very quick. I might borrow a friends PS3 and try it out to see how it does. But then again I've heard they won't work with Harmony remotes. The samsungs look decent from what I've read but seems they are hard to find I believe.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
A whole new crop of blu ray players from the major manufacturers (Panny, Sony, Pioneer, Oppo) will be coming out soon, so might as well enjoy the other new stuff for now and do some more research in another 4-6 weeks.

Correct, PS3's don't work with Harmony's (or any other remote) unless you purchase and adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks