What's new

Can anyone identify this tree? (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
It is outside of my workplace. I've had many people ask me what kind of tree it is -but I don't know anything about trees nor do I know anyone who does..

Can anyone here help?

edit: here is adjusted photo - also, I live in Southwest Florida.

Click on it, then click on the arrow-box in the bottom left - it ought to be large enough now...

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
the LARCH.....

Oh sorry for the odd reference. I could send the picture to my sister who's hubby runs a greenhouse/nursery but I can't seem to get a larger size... clicking on it, only moves it to the center. is that a full size shot? or is my browser acting odd?

Jay

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Came for the Python reference, left happy.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Is it a dogwood? It looks like this pink dogwood we use to have in our backyard. hard to tell because the picture is so small.

mylan

Screenwriter
We are all missing the bigger picture here ( if only there was one! ). If it were a dogwood or crepe myrtle it would also have leaves as well as flowers. What foliage you see are young leaves and it appears that they are red naturally or have just turned. My guess would be some type of maple.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Difficult to say with the small picture. My first thought is some type of crabapple.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Thanks for the messages. I've adjusted the picture to make it larger. Click on the photo then click on the arrowed icon in the bottom left. It is in Soutwest Florida near Ft. Myers. (Short sleeve weather today)

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
If you had a close shot of the flower,leaf, or bark,I could positively i.d. it. My best guess at this time is that it's possibly a redbud or even a crepemyrtle.

mylan

Screenwriter
There is still the issue of no leaves with the blooms, the only tree I know of that blooms before it grows leaves is a Japanese Magnolia.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That was my guess too. The famous Cherry Blossom. Difficult to see accurately, though.
Does it bloom in April?

Cees

mylan

Screenwriter

In northern Georgia it does, mid Florida might be a different story with the warmer climate, although I don't know when the photo was taken, I assume it is recent though.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Eric,
Didja Google?
I searched Trees Flowering Pink Florida and came up with some likely candidates.

Here's a dogwood description:

"Pink Flowering Dogwood tree, Cornus Florida Rubra, has very large pink flowers that appear in the early spring
before the foliage comes out. The foliage turns a brilliant red in the fall, followed by bright berries that last into the winter. The trees grow to a height of 15 feet. This deciduous tree is the Classic Single Pink flowering beauty. Very popular and widely planted. Pink Flowering Dogwood trees have bright red fruits, which are loved by birds, and mature in early fall and usually persist until the middle of December. The reddish brown wood is extremely hard and has been used to make tool handles. It is a great landscape and ornamental tree."

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
It's a dogwood. My family had two in the yard when I was a kid, a pink and a white. They are my mom's favorite flower.

mylan

Screenwriter
Ok, closer up it doesn't look like a Japanese Magnolia and I don't think Dogwood, which has four flowers that are flat, like these:
Red Flowering Dogwood Trees
and from the growing zones, does not grow in south Florida.

The weird thing is that it looks like an azalea bloom which is to my knowledge, only a bush, and then why aren't there any leaves on this tree?
I'm stumped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks