What's new

Dynasty Season Four Announced (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Dynasty DVD news: Announcement for Dynasty - The 4th Season, Volume 1 | TVShowsOnDVD.com
It's good news and bad news. The good news is--it IS coming! The bad news is--it's another half-season. Can't begin to tell you how much I despise half-seasons. I don't think half-seasons are doing the tv-on-dvd industry any favors, but they keep doing them anyway, don't they? The biggest issue I have is the pricing. This half-season will probably list at $29.99; the other half will be $29.99. That's sixty bucks for just one season. For season three, I really had to shop around until I found them on sale for about $20 each. Seems I'll have to do it again.
Oh well--if that's the only way we're going to see Dynasty, so be it. I might add that the remastering of the episodes has been impeccable--the shows look and sound just as good as they did back in 1982. Dynasty has looked about 10X better than its dvd contemporaries: Dallas included.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I am glad to hear S4 is coming. I was hoping they would go back to full season sets aswell. But as you said, if volumes are the only route to get it, so be it!

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
I've decided I don't mind the volumes releases so much, just as long as they keep 'em coming! It also means we get twice as many fab cover photos! (hey, it's a small plus I didn't consider before)!

Davidh27

Auditioning
Real Name
david
Just to let me people know that on Region 4 in Australia and in all probability Region 2 in Europe, The Dynasty sets look to be full volume sets rather than the broken half volumes.

Season 3 full set will be released in April 2 for region 4. Those with multizone players may consider opting for these rather than the R1 half sets.

Casings are the same.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I hope soon this show is taking forever, and it is taking all my money.

I can deal with it as long as they can release more than one season a year. I fly through 1 episodes in almost no time. It always feels like 1/2 season isn't much. Oh well.

We will prob get the second volume in the fall and if we are lucky season 5 vol 1 next spring. I guess Candy Spelling needs more money or something. Who knows. Someone is asking for dough when you can only release them in 1/2 season sets.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
It is dribbling out slowly, but it's a very frustrating series to collect. If they didn't have those stupid half-seasons, we'd already be up to season five. As it is, it's gonna take about 5 more years to finish this thing off.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
Even more annoying is that other dvd regions are getting complete season sets, although R2 and R4 are only up to Season 3 so are still behind R1 but only just.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I am going to hold out until they do the BOX SET and hopefully will include "THE COLBYS" !!!!!!

LOVED THAT SERIES better than "DYNASTY" Sable was the BEST !!!!

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
So it seems that the UK will get Season 4 COMPLETE on September 14th 2009 (according to amazon uk) so when oh when is Season 4 Vol 2 going to be released in Region 1?
This is SO frustrating! I'm in the UK and have purchased the US releases online up to now as they have been released so far ahead of the UK but now it seems the UK may actually overtake the US releases!
Add to that the fact that the UK releases are complete seasons in better (sparkly!) packaging for what has been half the price and I'm getting a little fed up! It wouldn't be so bad if only Paramount would speed up the damn releases and put a little more info out there so people know when to expect the next volume!

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Richard Michael Clark said:
so when oh when is Season 4 Vol 2 going to be released in Region 1?
I am trying to be patient in awaiting some sort of announcement. I have sorta come to accept volume releases with some shows I am collecting. But I sure as heck would not shed a tear, if they would scrap volumes going forward. That may be to much to ask for at this point though.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I think I've given up all hope to see this show released correctly. I guess CBS/Paramount had to make deals to give Candy Spelling a lot fo money and the only way they made it feasable was half season sets that in turn sell even worse than a full season set and hurt further releases.

Since I finished the last volume of DYNASTY I have since decided to start watching DALLAS. I started by buying the first two season box set and have currently purchased up to season 10 on DVD I am currently watching Season 6 of Dallas.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I seriously doubt Candy Spelling is holding up dvd releases of any of these shows. Anyway, she's probably not the sole rights holder in any of these shows' cases. However, I do notice that shows from the Spelling empire are historically having a hell of time coming out on dvd. 90210 seems to be the only one that gets regular releases. Seventh Heaven had regular releases, but it took forever. The Love Boat and Melrose Place both wound up in half-season hell. charlie's Angels took forever. Dynasty is taking forever. Hotel's GONNA take forever lol. And there's a dozen or so shorter-run shows that have never seen the light of day on dvd: Savannah, Pacific Palisades, Titans, Models Inc., Malibu Shores...the list goes on and on. And I'm a big fan of this kind of entertainment and want to own them all!

But...as far as I'm concerned, Dynasty was always the crown jewel of the Spelling empire and I can't believe they're taking so damn long with it! Why does Dallas get season after season on dvd, and Dynasty does not?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Well come to Paramount Hell. Paramount owns the Spelling Catalog and it is up to them when a title/season is releases. However on the good side is that Paramount is the best company out there releasing their television shows and with their library, Viacom's library, The CBS library, and The Spelling library, they have a lot to dig through. Just the new release of Bonanza last month would push something else of the release chart, for they only release a set number of titles each month.

Dallas is released by another company, Warners which explains the quickness of the releases.

I agree with on Dynasty, it me it is my favorite and the best of all that era's Prime Time Soaps. Even better than Falcon Crest.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by WaveCrest /forum/thread/281872/dynasty-season-four-announced#post_3621933
An update on Dynasty - Season Four: Volume Two was posted on TVShowsOnDVD today. The URL link to the news article is below:
Dynasty - Season Four: Volume Two (1984) (Region 1) - TVShowsOnDVD news article
I read that; it's a nice thing. But I hope this doesn't mean we're only getting one half-season every year from now. In that case, it'll take another TEN years to finish Dynasty!!! Sheezus--

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Snails Pace with CBS/Paramount. I buy all these releases, my friend actually asked me yesterday.. How did the last few episodes end from last April! haha. We don't remember!

I hope they change their game plan. The best thing they can do with this is go ahead do season 4 VOL 2 as a released but Season 5 onward they need complete season sets. a SRP of 49.99 would be sufficient enough. Otherwise we will never get all the seasons. In fact this next release could be its last.

the Spelling estate and CBS/Paramount need to get their stuff together. People are broke and can't afford and are sometimes not interested in waiting so long for 12-13 episodes!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well it's been a long, long road trying to get Dynasty on dvd. And it's always been #1 on my list of favorite tv shows that I always wanted on dvd. At this point, I think they should scrap the whole idea and just put out a complete series set on BluRay. I'm sick of waiting, and I also think Dynasty would look fantastic in hidef. Of course, that's just a pipe dream seeing as how they can barely keep their act together.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
The funny thing is I bet the people at WB's just laugh over the DYNASTY releases so poorly exected for release schedules. WB's isn't perfect but they know season sets are the way to go on a long running series.

I also think Paramount releasing VOL sets of Bonanza with that series length is insane. Luckily you have a choice of a full season 2 pack. Still a gamble.

I think we will get the complete Dynasty released around 2016

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks