What's new

White Speaker Wire (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I don't know if this is the right forum, it is speaker related but my question is about speaker wire, not speakers.

I'm searching for some white speaker wire. Decent Gauge, it's for my 5.1 system in our living room. My usual place for wires is monoprice but I can't seem to find any white speaker wire from them, except some that is used for IN WALL installation. I wanted to ask, even though my setup will not be used IN Wall, it will just run behind a TV and down the wall like a normal wire, would it hurt to use that for what I need?

I'm guessing there wouldn't be a problem using that wire even though it says it's for In wall installation, but I just wanted to ask to be sure. The wire just looks like 2 wires with a white sheath around it. Can I expect this wire to be much thicker than a regular run of speaker cabling? I'm trying to keep this all low profile...keeps the wife happy.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

SethH

Senior HTF Member
That speaker wire would work fine. The thickness is determined by the gauge of the wire. Smaller number = larger wire.

You might also check out BlueJean Cables as they offer a white cable in both 12 and 10 gauge (although both may be thicker than you're looking for).

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Go to HD and get yourself some white zip chord, the same stuff you can use to make indoor lamp chords or extension cords. Will work great and is also cheap.

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
If you don't care what it looks like, you have a lot of options. You can also find "ribbon" type speaker wire that is very flat, and can even be painted over.

Parts Express has a pretty good deal on 18ga white speaker cable here.

If your run is less than 20 feet (and 8ohm speakers), you should be OK. (More info here if you have questions about quality and guage of speaker wire).

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Head to Lowe's and pick up some 40' white garden extension cords. Use the green and white wires for your positive speaker connection and the black wire for your negative connection. The power cables are manufactured by Woods and is sold under the Utilitech brand - and you can usually see it on the back of the cardboard label.

There was a whole writeup on this cable over at 6Moons a few months back.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The difference between in wall and in room wire is the in wall has a shielding which does not emit toxic fumes when burnt.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Radioshack Megacable Navajo White. Can be had on the spool, cheap and it's good wire. It's CL-2 rated for in wall but does not have to be used as such.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks