Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

White Speaker Wire

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted January 25 2009 - 07:52 PM

I don't know if this is the right forum, it is speaker related but my question is about speaker wire, not speakers.

I'm searching for some white speaker wire. Decent Gauge, it's for my 5.1 system in our living room. My usual place for wires is monoprice but I can't seem to find any white speaker wire from them, except some that is used for IN WALL installation. I wanted to ask, even though my setup will not be used IN Wall, it will just run behind a TV and down the wall like a normal wire, would it hurt to use that for what I need?

I'm guessing there wouldn't be a problem using that wire even though it says it's for In wall installation, but I just wanted to ask to be sure. The wire just looks like 2 wires with a white sheath around it. Can I expect this wire to be much thicker than a regular run of speaker cabling? I'm trying to keep this all low profile...keeps the wife happy. Posted Image

#2 of 7 SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted January 25 2009 - 09:39 PM

That speaker wire would work fine. The thickness is determined by the gauge of the wire. Smaller number = larger wire.

You might also check out BlueJean Cables as they offer a white cable in both 12 and 10 gauge (although both may be thicker than you're looking for).

#3 of 7 MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,497 posts

Posted January 26 2009 - 05:04 AM

Go to HD and get yourself some white zip chord, the same stuff you can use to make indoor lamp chords or extension cords. Will work great and is also cheap.
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#4 of 7 Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit

• 451 posts
  • LocationCastaic, CA

Posted January 30 2009 - 08:22 AM

If you don't care what it looks like, you have a lot of options. You can also find "ribbon" type speaker wire that is very flat, and can even be painted over.

Parts Express has a pretty good deal on 18ga white speaker cable here.

If your run is less than 20 feet (and 8ohm speakers), you should be OK. (More info here if you have questions about quality and guage of speaker wire).

#5 of 7 Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 08:27 AM

Head to Lowe's and pick up some 40' white garden extension cords. Use the green and white wires for your positive speaker connection and the black wire for your negative connection. The power cables are manufactured by Woods and is sold under the Utilitech brand - and you can usually see it on the back of the cardboard label.

There was a whole writeup on this cable over at 6Moons a few months back.
"My reality check ... just bounced"

#6 of 7 Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,694 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted January 30 2009 - 11:36 AM

The difference between in wall and in room wire is the in wall has a shielding which does not emit toxic fumes when burnt.

#7 of 7 Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele

Producer

• 3,184 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 04:58 PM

Radioshack Megacable Navajo White. Can be had on the spool, cheap and it's good wire. It's CL-2 rated for in wall but does not have to be used as such.
Brett DiMichele
brettd@nospamyukonwaltz.com (remove nospam)

Too Much to list!
My PhotoBucket              My Buttkicker Wireless Advance Kit Review