What's new

cheap and easy IR remote extender? (1 Viewer)

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
I have a small wall mounted LCD in my kitchen and want to install the cable box in a closet, around the corner since the cable box is HUGE. The cable box has an IR port on the back which is something i assume that is used for this type of installation. Is there a way to just buy an extender cable that will allow me to just move the position of my IR receiver? I don't need one of the big through the wall wireless systems - since the cable box is a whopping 3 feet from the tv (total extension needed is maybe 6 feet, if that.

I saw a system online that is like $150. There has to be a way to do this cheaply, since it is just for a 20 inch tv in the kitchen!

Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Maybe not. I had a DirecTV receiver that had an IR port but it was an output port. It would control a VCR to start recording. Post the make/model of your cable box and we will try to find some more information. Otherwise anything we say is just a guess.

-Robert

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
it is a motorola QIP6200-2 HD box from Verizon for my FIOS service. It is not the DVR box but just the basic box. Thanks for you help

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
I found the user manual for the motorola and it is indeed a IR output to control a vcr. Soooooo is there a cheap way to just extend the signal or do I have to get one of the crazy expensive setups? or should I just keep the utility closet open every time I want to change the channel?!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My in-laws use a wireless IR extender with very few issues. It misses a button press every now and then but for $25 what can you expect. I picked it up for them on E-bay. Parts Express and Smarthome were selling the same thing for $60+.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks