What's new

Pearl Harbor in DD EX (1 Viewer)

Troy TN

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Denon AVR 5800 which hasalight that indicates if a title is flaggedwith Dolby Digital EX for the surround back speaker.
To date there are no movies actually flagged or atleast made my Denon EX flag light up until I put in Pearl Harbor.
None of the packaging states this movie has a surround back channel ex version. It only states its 5.1.
So is this dvd truely 5.1EX? If so Its the first with the DDEX flag on the dvd for receivers to auto turn on the EX back channel and they don't even advertise it on the dvd...whats up with that?
If this is true the DDEX version should be better then the DTS 5.1 version.
Other dvd's like Toy Story 2 are DDEX but are not flagged that way on the dvd.
when will the companies get it right.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Troy,

Pearl Harbor is INDEED a THX-EX encoded disc. It is also the only flagged EX disc I have seen and I own almost all of the latest EX flicks. There are discs that aren't advertised as EX titles from well over a year ago that are in fact EX discs. Not all of them have the EX or THX stamp on them. I think it's kind of cool that the 5800 picks up the flag. Maybe it's the first disc that has actually been flagged, since many receivers don't have EX ability. I, too, have a 5800 and this is easily as good as "Saving Private Ryan" for demo material.

I would assume that more EX material will be flagged now that Dolby has licensed the rights to the EX stamp. This is one of the first discs EX capable since Dolby has had the rights.

Jeremy

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Tell me, I have not had a chance yet to check it out but does the THX Optimode include EX calibrating or just 5.1. This should be another clear indicator. I did just listen to the attack scene in DTS matrix EX and it was incredible.

Wes

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Nope, the THX Optomizer doesn't have the rear surround channel tests on it. I don't think it's a true EX title, because it wasn't released as EX in the theaters. They could have re-mixed it, but on the Dolby site, Pearl Harbor is listed as 5.1, and not EX.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Jeremy where do you get your info from. I have look but can not find any evidence of it being EX other than Troys Denon seeing the EX flag.

Wes

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
This is right from Roger Dressler from Dolby themselves:Hi
Wes,

Only the the French track is flagged for EX, but we don't know why, as it is not an EX soundtrack. As it is a THX certified DVD, maybe they can comment on this.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Oh ya Roger and I are like freinds, I acually taught him every thing he knows about audio!;) No not really, He was replying to the thread on the Pearl DD headphone track and I jumped in and asked the question of the EX on Pearl Harbor.
Wes

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
We did a little bit of checking and it turns out it was just an oversight that the French 5.1 track has an EX flag. We have encoders in the field that can set the flag, and it was being used to encode another title with Surround EX, but wasn't reset when it went back into service for the French PH track, and no one noticed., since the existing studio monitor decoder (DP562) doesn't yet read it. Our new handheld bitstream analyzer reads it, and this is what we used to confirm the setting when we found a consumer decoder reporting the flag. The English track does not have the flag, and neither track is encoded in Surround EX. Sorry for the confusion, but at least you can see if your flag detector detects.

NiklasKarlsson

Stunt Coordinator
Well, now it seems that the Region 2 release of pearl harbor has got the EX-flag on the english 5.1 Dolby track also. Does anybody know if the R2 release has been mastered different or it just is a misstake as the EX flag on the R1´s french track....?

George Martin

Stunt Coordinator
I finally got around to watching PH. Great movie the effects were above average, and the sound was an A+. The reason I'm repleying to this is that my Onkyo 989, set to auto THX EX, also saw the EX flag, and I was playing the DTS sound track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks