Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Zero availablility of "Jurassic Park" in DTS

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit

• 487 posts

Posted January 25 2009 - 04:54 AM

Why is it that all the sites I go to, none of them have the DTS version of "Jurassic Park"? Amazon only has the Dolby Digital 5.1 version in stock and the same is true for the other sites. Why is this? Did they stop producing the DTS version?

Secondly, should I just get the Dolby Digital 5.1 version? Is the corrected DTS version really that much better than the Dolby Digital 5.1 version?

#2 of 17 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted January 25 2009 - 05:08 AM

Out of print, yes, but I found one site that looks like they can hook you up--MOVE FAST!: Jurassic Park Collector's Edition; DTS Surround 5.1 DVD
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#3 of 17 Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit

• 487 posts

Posted January 25 2009 - 05:40 AM

Thanks! But how will I know if this is the corrected DTS version?

Darn it, I just noticed that site doesn't ship outside the US.

#4 of 17 Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit

• 487 posts

Posted January 25 2009 - 06:45 AM

Okay, I went ahead and ordered the Dolby Digital 5.1 version from Amazon since I couldn't find a DTS version that could be shipped to Dubai and I really wanted to see this movie again. I hope the Dolby Digital 5.1 track is not that bad compared to the DTS track!

#5 of 17 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted January 25 2009 - 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haris Ellahi
Okay, I went ahead and ordered the Dolby Digital 5.1 version from Amazon since I couldn't find a DTS version that could be shipped to Dubai and I really wanted to see this movie again. I hope the Dolby Digital 5.1 track is not that bad compared to the DTS track!
Even though I have no DTS track to compare it to (shame Universal didn't reissue/remaster JP for its 15th) the Dolby on the present dvd is pretty damn good.

#6 of 17 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,861 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 25 2009 - 07:54 AM

The DD version is fine. The DTS version may be preferred, but there were issues with the LFE track on the initial pressing. This has since been corrected, but you still have to make sure you get the right disc.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#7 of 17 Claude S

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted January 25 2009 - 09:06 AM

I do not know when it will be released in Blue Ray but when it does, it will have a full bit rate DTS Master Audio track because it will be from Universal Home Video.

-Claude S

#8 of 17 Steve Y

Steve Y

Supporting Actor

• 704 posts

Posted January 25 2009 - 06:41 PM

This topic used to be discussed very heatedly on HTF (years ago)... it's a shame that the DTS disc is no longer widely available, because many members here said that the corrected disc blew the Dolby 5.1. out of the water. I never had a chance to hear it myself.

#9 of 17 Charlie O.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted January 26 2009 - 02:13 AM

I gave up looking for the DTS disc and imported the Japanese Superbit version.

"Jurassic Park" Universal Region 1 - NTSC vs Jurassic Park Region 2 - NTSC

#10 of 17 Jon Smith

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 147 posts

Posted January 27 2009 - 07:25 AM

Isn't the JAP version also out of print?

I was under the impression that the R1 DTS version isn't that great. Since the JAP R2 is a different mix as well as full bitrate DTS, it sounds that much better.

You could try the China R6 version which has a high video bitrate and DTS. Not sure how it compares to the R1 (or R2) though.

#11 of 17 Charlie O.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted January 27 2009 - 11:40 AM

By now I would assume it is but I don't think it was when I pick it up. I think all the superbits went OOP once Blu-ray came out however its still another option to look out for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Smith
Isn't the JAP version also out of print?

I was under the impression that the R1 DTS version isn't that great. Since the JAP R2 is a different mix as well as full bitrate DTS, it sounds that much better.

You could try the China R6 version which has a high video bitrate and DTS. Not sure how it compares to the R1 (or R2) though.

#12 of 17 Stefan G

Stefan G

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 10:36 AM

Quote:

Comparison: caps-a-holic.com - DVD Vergleiche - Jurassic Park

#13 of 17 greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted January 31 2009 - 03:03 AM

Just wanted to add that I have the Japanese R2 Superbit of Jurassic Park that I would be willing to part with. If anyone is interested, please PM me. The video quality is far and away better than the R1 DVD and it has DTS sound.

#14 of 17 Jon Smith

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 147 posts

Posted February 01 2009 - 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan G

Cool. The R2 and R1 look exactly the same video wise. The R6 looks the like the same transfer too with slight distortion to the image.

However I am wondering how the Japanese DTS track compares to the R6 one.

#15 of 17 greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted February 01 2009 - 03:34 PM

Quote:
Cool. The R2 and R1 look exactly the same video wise. The R6 looks the like the same transfer too with slight distortion to the image.

However I am wondering how the Japanese DTS track compares to the R6 one.

I have the R2 superbit and the R1 and I can tell you that the R2 is far superior to the R1. Screenshots don't always tell the story.

#16 of 17 Chris Roberts

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted February 02 2009 - 08:15 AM

I still have the initial pressing DTS of JP because I slacked off about sending it in for replacement. The good side is that I live in an apartment so my neighbors probably appreciate the softer LFE. I always figured I'd pick up a boxset someday anyways after the third movie came out so it wasn't a big deal and with the arrival of BluRay I'm even more sure of that now.

#17 of 17 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted August 26 2011 - 09:32 AM

How do I know if I have the initial pressing of Jurassic Park DTS? Are there any markings?

Back to DVD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow