-

Photo

Is Pelican Brief worth buying in Grisham Collection?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   zonk

zonk

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted January 24 2009 - 05:46 PM

I'm ready to pre-order Grisham's Courtroom Collection but I'm wondering if anyone has purchased already? I'm hoping that "The Client" and "Pelican Brief" have better transfers than the ones that I own.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Ernest

Ernest

Supporting Actor

• 521 posts

Posted January 25 2009 - 08:28 AM

Pelican Brief and A Time to Kill were released as "flippers" because dual layer had not yet been incorporated into the replication process. Overtime, most of the flippers were corrected but these two remain as movies spread over two sides of the DVD. For that reason I purchased the collection.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Claude S

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted January 25 2009 - 08:30 AM

I do not know about the new SD pressing of THE PELICAN BRIEF but it will also be available in Blue-Ray. Because of the movie becoming available in HD, i think the SD will be a repressing and gorgeous.

-Claude S

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted January 26 2009 - 05:35 AM

I own the Client & Rainmaker SE but have avoided the other 2 because they were single layer flippers. Does anyone know if single sided dual layered individual dvds will be released of A Time To Kill & Pelican Brief? If they've got them upgraded in the box set I'd hope I could just purchase the 2 I need in sd dvd.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,070 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted January 26 2009 - 07:52 AM

The John Grisham Courtroom Collection consists entirely of re-packagings of the previously released titles. It is the same "Pelican Brief" flipper that was released in 1997. I received a review copy, and have been debating what to do with it. There is nothing new here other than slimcases and a box.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Ernest

Ernest

Supporting Actor

• 521 posts

Posted January 26 2009 - 09:04 AM

That sure teaches you not to assume anything when you are dealing with movies released on DVD. Luckily I was able to cancel my order. How expensive would it be to re-do the two movies dual-layered so each title fits on one side of a disc?

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   donnie_d

donnie_d

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted January 26 2009 - 10:32 AM

does Runaway Jury have the same extras as the current disc?

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,070 posts

Posted January 26 2009 - 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie_d
does Runaway Jury have the same extras as the current disc?
Yes. It is the only title in the collection with any significant extras. Again, all titles are identical to their prior R1 release other than being packaged in slimcases and bound in a box. It is just a themed catalog repackage between Warner (Pelican Brief, Client, Time to Kill) and Fox (Runaway Jury).

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted January 27 2009 - 03:02 AM

that is so disappointing. Is it so much to ask for a DVD to be at such a basic standard that DVD's have been at for a decade?

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,070 posts

Posted January 27 2009 - 03:12 AM

It would be more disappointing if they mixed remastered titles with old titles in the same box. Warner had sworn that off for a few years, but just did it again with the Sidney Poitier box released today that has the previously released "A Patch of Blue" with three new to DVD titles.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   David Dias

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator

• 159 posts

Posted January 27 2009 - 02:04 PM

Very disappointing indeed, this is almost shameful. I think both "Pelican Brief" and "A Time to Kill" are terrific movies and deserve a DVD re-mastering, but it looks like the best thing will be to buy these titles on blu-ray.

No sale!