What's new

Xbox 360 won't play DVDs (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does the Xbox 360 play DVDs like a normal DVD player? I put one in (for the first time) and it ba-deeps and goes to a solid black screen. I changed resolution from 1080i to 480p, but it didn't change anything. I've not tried any other DVDs yet. I can't find anything useful in a Google search; maybe my 360 is defective?

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Have you tried a different DVD? If not, do so. Could be a bit of head alignment issue that impacts a particular DVD (I'm assuming your game discs are playing OK). Unfortunately, that does mean a defective optical drive and will require repair at some point. But as long as your games play, you may choose not to do it, and just play DVDs on another device.

Unless you install frequently used games to the hard drive, the 360 spins the optical disc all the time during gameplay which, IMO, really compromises the life span of the unit. (But that's just my speculation.)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Tried a different movie and it's working. How strange. So it has problems with a certain DVD. I wonder if Veronica Mars S3 has special copy protection that confounds the 360...

Jimi C

Screenwriter
My 360 is my most reliable dvd player, it can play dvd's that my PS3, Kenwood, JVC and Sony players cant read.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

I know my Toshiba HD-XA2 cannot play Leatherheads due to the copy protection that is on it, I wonder if it is a similar issue?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Can't say; only that my 360 is bested by a mid-range, 10 year old DVD player. It's too bad, because it would be convenient to use the 360 as the DVD player right now.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I believe your speculation is correct. The heat generated by the constant spinning is a primary culprit in the Red-Ring-of-Death (which my first 360 succumbed to last fall).

--Jefferson Morris

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've found that the trouble-maker disc was scratched. My DVD player may be much more fault-tolerant that the Xbox. Since the Xbox is now hooked up, I'll try using it again with the next DVD in queue. Although with the roaring 360 drive, it still may not be a good DVD player.

I'll be glad when my HDMI cables arrive and I can have both 360 and DVD connected at once
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Greatdane

Auditioning
Real Name
Fred Daynes
Three years ago I noticed a change to the formatting of Audio CD disks after making simple PC (jpg gif) Sony Audio CD that could not even be played on my sister in-laws PC to pass on family PICs in Jpg format. During the early 90's you could play your CD's like a slide show on a DVD player. It was little known and not used much, today’s new formatted CD disk do not allow this. (I found I am making lots and lots of coffee coasters even though I don’t drink coffee.) I also have had nothing but DVD media software stop working and wont reload from a disk as in Nero 6 and Roxio Creator 8. Thus I will not purchase them again. They lasted a year and then stopped working and would not reload because of Licensing? I own the software. I am now using Pinnacle software since I just updated my PCTV HD tuner, Fry’s recommended them as a reputable company in the HD world. My Microsoft XP, (HP Multimedia PC), and my XBOX 360 wont run home movies, even after reloading everything (on the PC). I believe with service pack lll, the dis-service pack is not transparent and crashes the system with DVD's, because they are unsigned, meaning no digital signature. So if you have a unsigned formatted disk or a disk not recognized for your region, busted! My Sony PSP works fine in playing my kids home movies. My Xbox 360 wont play them but the Sony PS3 and older DVD players in the house and car run home movies just fine. I fear that MS updates and new digital formatting on your disk are mucking up the works for the 360 as it has on XP for my PC. I have no faith in MS service packs since I am continually looking for my own patch to fix their patch after it messed up the way I work on my PC. Like cut and paste It is much more difficult to create a DVD face for my Epson DVD printer since updates messed up screen capture. To create non "boring" DVD or CD disks anymore it takes a lot of extra steps. The only way to play DVDs threw my PC right now is to run a DVD threw external player threw a modulator to PC VHF tuner just so I can view my kids game on my pc while the kids run the TV. My HP Multimedia player PC worked great out of the box but like I said UPDATES ARE KILLING US. Including Xbox 360 updates same company. I’m sure they are not like Motorola who has several divisions of the same company, only they don’t share information between themselves as in Cell Phones mfg. And then you have the new updated Sony DVD disk's to contend with. What a mess we are all in. We are nothing but puppets in the multimedia world as it changes from day to day and waste our time due to !!$!$ UPDATES and I’m sure the idea of how to make more money and create job security while making groups that control Hollywood’s multimedia and recording studios happy by creating new ways to make it harder to pirate there media. Look out because a few toes are going to get stepped upon. Its a software issue. I have new Xbox 360 drives and those drives play DVDs fine but wont play a new recording that is an unsigned video of my son playing community sports on a DVD I created from a Sony external DVD Recorder. Microsoft is shooting itself in the foot with its updates and Sony controls a lot more than what we all think. Try just letting it sit there like about five minutes it might then pass the code to enable it to run. Also Xbox 360 HDDVD drives sell for about 25 dollars right now. The drive will play your games, DVD's and a HD DVD. Who cares about the loss to Blue Ray this is a drive that is totally compatible with your Xbox 360 and it includes a controller. It will open by going to your User screen and going past the first drive to the second to last page on the screen and just running your games or your DVDs or etc. Cheap easy fix, if it is a dirty or failing drive. You better hurry though they are almost all gone at this ridiculous cheap price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks