What's new

Samsung vs. Sony (1 Viewer)

Pabloant

Auditioning
Real Name
Anthony
I am looking to upgrade to a new flat-panel LCD TV and I would like some of the members opinions on the two TVs I am interested in. The two are: Samsung LN52A650 & Sony KDL-52W4100 . If anyone can give me their opinions of these two TVs I would appreciate it.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Both are great sets. I personally lean toward Samsung, but that's just me.

Something to consider . . . both companies just announced their new models at CES a couple weeks ago. I don't remember the timeline for when those models should be out, but if you can wait you could either: A) Get a good deal on a close-out of the current model, or B) Get the newer model.

Redaman

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Hoyt

We just bought the LN52A860 and we love it. I'm sure the Sony is a great TV, but having read several good reviews on the Samsung we elected for that brand.

Good Luck.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I looked at both models Samsung LN52A650 & Sony KDL-52W4100, and I could not see any difference in picture quality. I purchased the Sony because it was on sale week and I have had good luck with Sony products. A few weeks before my brother in law got the Samsung for the same price. Both are fine TV's.

The only thing I didn't like about the Samsung was the discreat touch of red color around the screen, which my brother in law liked.

As I am putting my system together I am finding out when matched with a high quality A/V receiver, and High Def cable box your TV tends to become not much more than a monitor.

staindrocks

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Yeah, there are some who don't care for the red TOC on the Samsung. As far as seeing any difference in picture quality, i would like to add that in-store comparisons aren't very reliable. There are just too many variables to make an accurate comparison(lighting, calibration, video source, etc.). I would recommend that you do some online research at some reputable review sites, and then read some customer reviews from people who own the tv. Then, of course, you could go check out the tvs at the store before making your final decision. Also, as CB750 already pointed out, both models are nice tvs...so you'd most likely be happy about either one.

Larry King

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
I read a lot about the Samsung LN52A650, it say it is really a great LCD HDTV. It works will in Blue ray. I would say Samsung is a good brand for LCD product even for LCD Monitor, I usually recommended it to my clients.Cheers, Larry King, Samsung LN52A650

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Just to let you know, if you don't already, Consumer Reports notes the Samsung LN52A650 at the #1 top of their list (at this time), and the Sony Bravia KDL-52W4100 at #6.

Each scored excellent HD Picture Quality, DVD Picture Quality, & SD Picture Quality.

Sony lacked in the less important: "remote ease of use" "sound quality" and "On-screen menue ease of use."

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I purchased the Sony when it was on sale and my brother in law purchased the Samsung a few weeks prior when it was on sale. We both paid $2,100 for our sets. I have watched both of then in an in home environment and both are quality sets. I would not give either one an edge over the other and I would not spend more money for one over the other.

I read the same consumer reports review and it gave lower marks to the Sony's remote and speakers. For the few days I used the Sony remote I found it easy and straight forward to use. The speakers were of no importance to me with a 5.1 system and universal remote.

You do have to be careful with Consumer Reports as they do factor in subjective things like ease of use and sound quality. They sometimes also factor in value/price considerations in their evaluations.

D-Jingle

Auditioning
Real Name
David Jameson
Sony is a very nice brand, but they just dont offer the same PQ that Samsung gives you. Bang-for-Buck no one beats Samsung!

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill

But on the back of my Sony it says Assembled in the USA. That means that at least a few American hands where involved in it's production. That means something to me. Can you say the same thing about a Samsung.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks