Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comic (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,606 posts

Posted January 22 2009 - 09:32 PM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 23 2009 - 04:33 AM

Very cool.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,049 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 23 2009 - 04:57 AM

$35 SRP for advertising? no thanks. This would be fine it it was $15 maybe, but even then it would be pricey for something that should be a special feature.

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted January 23 2009 - 07:38 AM

quite interesting that this is announced after a deal has been reached between Fox and Warner.
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted January 23 2009 - 04:20 PM

What the hell is this? Any wonder why Alan Moore hates theatrical licensing of his works?

Go buy the book. It's cheaper and better. Then see the movie afterwards (provided it's any good).

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 23 2009 - 05:42 PM

i have the original comics, the graphic novel and the hard cover absolute version.
I'll also have the blu-ray of the motion comic.
This is equal to a 12 episode half hour tv show.
so i'm not surprised at the msrp.
I'm sure it will be under $30.
facebook.com/whotony

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted January 23 2009 - 05:59 PM

So this is scans of the comic book pages, read by a narrator?
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,606 posts

Posted January 23 2009 - 09:38 PM

Oscar,

Was a deal finally made between Fox and Warner?

I wonder if Fox got everything that was rumored they
were asking for out of that deal.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted January 23 2009 - 09:45 PM

Hi Ron

This is from Variety Jan 15, 2009

WB, Fox make deal for 'Watchmen' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

Quote:
Warner Bros. and Fox have settled their very public battle over "Watchmen." A deal has been hammered out that that gives WB some face-saving points, but which gives Fox the equivalent of a movie star’s gross participation.

Warner Bros. gets the right to open its superhero pic on March 6 as planned, and Fox's logo will not be on the film, sources said.
Fox, on the other hand, will emerge with an upfront cash payment that sources pegged between $5 million and $10 million, covering reimbursement of $1.4 million the studio invested in development fees, and also millions of dollars in legal fees incurred during the case.
More importantly, Fox will get a gross participation in "Watchmen" that scales between 5% and 8.5%, depending on the film’s worldwide revenues. Fox also participates as a gross player in any sequels and spinoffs, sources said.
A joint statement said, "Warner Bros. and Twentieth Century Fox have resolved their dispute regarding the rights to the upcoming motion picture "Watchmen" in a confidential settlement. Warner Bros. acknowledges that Fox acted in good faith in bringing its claims, which were asserted prior to the start of principal photography.
Fox acknowledges that Warner Brothers acted in good faith in defending against those claims. Warner Bros. and Fox, like all "Watchmen" fans, look forward with great anticipation to this film’s March 6 release in theatres."
Attorneys for the studios are scheduled to meet Friday morning with U.S. District Court Judge Gary Feess in Los Angeles to finalize the settlement.
Fox, which first acquired rights to the graphic novel in 1986, filed suit in February at about the same time director Zack Snyder wrapped production. The studio, which had advised WB of its rights position before the film went into production, contended in court that it retained distribution rights under a 1994 turnaround agreement with producer Larry Gordon, who took "Watchmen" to Warner Bros. after attempts to make it with Fox, Universal and Paramount.
Feess found in his ruling that Gordon, who’s not a defendant in the case, had never exercised his option to acquire Fox’s remaining interest in "Watchmen" nor had he honored his agreement since 2005 to offer the project to Fox under the "changed elements" part of the pact. Feess had ruled on Christmas Eve that Fox had distribution rights to "Watchmen" and urged the studios to seek a settlement rather than go to trial, which had been set to begin next Tuesday. The studios had disclosed last week that they had been making progress toward resolving the dispute.

There is some more info
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   ATimson

ATimson

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted January 24 2009 - 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_B
So this is scans of the comic book pages, read by a narrator?
It is read by a narrator, but it's more involved than just scans. It's not "true" animation, but there is some there, using the original comic elements.

If you have iTunes, you can see clips of it in the iTunes Store--that'll give you a better idea of what I'm talking about. Posted Image
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
--Brendan Moody

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts

Posted January 24 2009 - 05:58 AM

under $25 at Amazon
Amazon.com: Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comic (+ Digital Copy) [Blu-ray]: Movies & TV
facebook.com/whotony

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 24 2009 - 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
i have... the hard cover absolute version.
How is that book? I have the Absolute Sandman books and I've thought about buying the Watchmen one a couple of times but I'm curious about the 'extras' in the book.

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts

Posted January 24 2009 - 06:16 AM

Well It's huge from what i have gathered the book was recolored to fix some
mistakes and also to just simply look better.

I comes in an extra thick slip cover.
the book has a eautiful paper book
cover.
the is an afterword by Moore, not sure if it was in the graphic novel.
Includes there is about 20 pages discussing the characters and
were the idea came from with sketches and character redesigns.

Alt cover art ideas.
A copy of select sections of the script.
Hand drawn thumbnail panels.
Copies of the hand drawn promo art.

Ending with an after from Dave Gibbons.
The one i just got is a 4th printing that just was released a couple months ago.
The price is $75 but i got it for under $30 with coupons.
You have to look around, I'm not sure if it is still in print right now.

Most of the DC absolute books are great and this is one of them.
facebook.com/whotony

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,049 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 24 2009 - 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
How is that book? I have the Absolute Sandman books and I've thought about buying the Watchmen one a couple of times but I'm curious about the 'extras' in the book.

I'm just reading the Absolute version now. Haven't got to the extras yet, but the comics never looked better! I read WATCHMEN nearly every year, never fails to entertain and I keep finding new stuff in it. If your leary about shelling out $60 for this edition, pick up the paperback (also recoloured I believe) for cheap just to read it.

now I have the problem of having the GN fresh in my head and thinking there's no way the movie will come close to it. Posted Image

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 24 2009 - 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell G
If your leary about shelling out $60 for this edition, pick up the paperback (also recoloured I believe) for cheap just to read it.
I've got the trade, I'm just trying to convince myself to re-buy the Absolute edition. Between you, Tony and owning and knowing how great the great Absolute Sandman books are, it might happen. Posted Image

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,526 posts

Posted January 24 2009 - 10:51 AM

I'm rereading the Absolute Edition right now to follow along with the ComicGeekSpeak podcast commentaries that go in-depth on each issue, and it's given me a much deeper appreciation for this book especially all the little things that I missed before.

For example, I never realized that Chapter V (which centers on Rorschach) was itself a Rorschach blot in that the pages mirror each other (page 1 mirrors page 29, etc).

If you haven't picked up the book Watching the Watchmen I would highly recommend doing so before I would recommend rebuying the Absolute Edition.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted January 24 2009 - 03:49 PM

Amazon.com: Chapter One: Lloyd Levin, Lawrence Gordon: Video On Demand

Here's the first 2mins of the first episode for free on Amazon, no iTunes neccessary. It looks halfway decent, but not $30 decent. If it was $20 I might spring for it.

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts

Posted January 24 2009 - 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric F
Amazon.com: Chapter One: Lloyd Levin, Lawrence Gordon: Video On Demand

Here's the first 2mins of the first episode for free on Amazon, no iTunes neccessary. It looks halfway decent, but not $30 decent. If it was $20 I might spring for it.
How about meeting it halfway, as i mentioned earlier it's $25 at amazon.
facebook.com/whotony

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted January 24 2009 - 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
How about meeting it halfway, as i mentioned earlier it's $25 at amazon.
Nah. As I said, I read the book so I really don't know how many times I can take watching this "still motion" style animation stuff. Like I said earlier I'd just rather use the money for a movie ticket (IMAX, weeeeeee!) and the BD thereafter if it's any good.

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted January 25 2009 - 07:20 AM

Ew. The voices are a bit beyond overdone. And the word-balloons distract me. I think I'll pass. Maybe I'll get the graphic novel instead. AFTER I see the film though -- I want the film content to be a surprise.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow