What's new

Official 2009 Oscar Discussion (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
They will be announced in a few minutes!

~T

Post Edited by Administrator to include nominations in first post.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Slumdog with 10. And Clint Eastwood... 0 for anything :frowning: I enjoyed Slumdog, though.. waiting for the full list.. I hate the way news outlets are doing this.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I can't find all the nominations yet, but there are the Best Picture:

-Benjamin Button
-Reader
-Milk
-Slumdog Millionaire
-Frost/Nixon

Looks like Doubt might have the most nominations for a movie.

Nice to see the Frozen River nominations for Melissa Leo and screenplay.

~T

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Best Supporting Actress: Amy Adams, Peneope Cruz, Viola Davis, Marisa Tomei, Raji P Henson

Best Supporting Actor: Josh Brolin, Robert Downey Jr, Philip Seymour Hodffman, Heath Ledger, Michael Shannon

Best Actress: Anne Hathaway (Rachel Getting Married), Angelina Jolie (The Changeling), Melissa Leo (Frozen River), Meryl Streep (Doubt), Kate Winslet (The Reader)

Best Actor: Richard Jenkins, Frank Langella, Sean Penn, Brad Pitt, Mickey Rourke

Best Director: David Fincher, Ron Howard, Gus Van Sant, Stephen Daldry, Danny Boyle

Best Picture: Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, Milk, The Reader, Slumdog Millionaire

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I'm surprised by the 10 for Slumdog, since there are no acting nominations and I didn't think it'd get nominated for categories like costume art direction.

~T

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
1. Best Picture: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,""Frost/Nixon,""Milk,""The Reader,""Slumdog Millionaire."

2. Actor: Richard Jenkins, "The Visitor"; Frank Langella, "Frost/Nixon"; Sean Penn, "Milk"; Brad Pitt, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"; Mickey Rourke, "The Wrestler."

3. Actress: Anne Hathaway, "Rachel Getting Married"; Angelina Jolie, "Changeling"; Melissa Leo, "Frozen River"; Meryl Streep, "Doubt"; Kate Winslet, "The Reader."

4. Supporting Actor: Josh Brolin, "Milk"; Robert Downey Jr., "Tropic Thunder"; Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Doubt"; Heath Ledger, "The Dark Knight"; Michael Shannon, "Revolutionary Road."

5. Supporting Actress: Amy Adams, "Doubt"; Penelope Cruz, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"; Viola Davis, "Doubt"; Taraji P. Henson, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"; Marisa Tomei, "The Wrestler."

6. Director: David Fincher, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"; Ron Howard, "Frost/Nixon"; Gus Van Sant, "Milk"; Stephen Daldry, "The Reader"; Danny Boyle, "Slumdog Millionaire."

7. Foreign Film: "The Baader Meinhof Complex," Germany; "The Class," France; "Departures," Japan; "Revanche," Austria; "Waltz With Bashir," Israel.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Eric Roth and Robin Swicord, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"; John Patrick Shanley, "Doubt"; Peter Morgan, "Frost/Nixon"; David Hare, "The Reader"; Simon Beaufoy, "Slumdog Millionaire."

9. Original Screenplay: Courtney Hunt, "Frozen River"; Mike Leigh, "Happy-Go-Lucky"; Martin McDonagh, "In Bruges"; Dustin Lance Black, "Milk"; Andrew Stanton, Jim Reardon and Pete Docter, "WALL-E."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Bolt"; "Kung Fu Panda"; "WALL-E."

11. Art Direction: "Changeling,""The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,""The Dark Knight,""The Duchess,""Revolutionary Road."

12. Cinematography: "Changeling,""The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,""The Dark Knight,""The Reader,""Slumdog Millionaire."

13. Sound Mixing: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,""The Dark Knight,""Slumdog Millionaire,""WALL-E,""Wanted."

14. Sound Editing: "The Dark Knight,""Iron Man,""Slumdog Millionaire,""WALL-E,""Wanted."

15. Original Score: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," Alexandre Desplat; "Defiance," James Newton Howard; "Milk," Danny Elfman; "Slumdog Millionaire," A.R. Rahman; "WALL-E," Thomas Newman.

16. Original Song: "Down to Earth" from "WALL-E," Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman; "Jai Ho" from "Slumdog Millionaire," A.R. Rahman and Gulzar; "O Saya" from "Slumdog Millionaire," A.R. Rahman and Maya Arulpragasam.

17. Costume: "Australia,""The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,""The Duchess,""Milk,""Revolutionary Road."

18. Documentary Feature: "The Betrayal (Nerakhoon),""Encounters at the End of the World,""The Garden,""Man on Wire,""Trouble the Water."

19. Documentary (short subject): "The Conscience of Nhem En,""The Final Inch,""Smile Pinki,""The Witness - From the Balcony of Room 306."

20. Film Editing: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,""The Dark Knight,""Frost/Nixon,""Milk,""Slumdog Millionaire."

21. Makeup: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,""The Dark Knight,""Hellboy II: The Golden Army."

22. Animated Short Film: "La Maison en Petits Cubes,""Lavatory - Lovestory,""Oktapodi,""Presto,""This Way Up."

23. Live Action Short Film: "Auf der Strecke (On the Line),""Manon on the Asphalt,""New Boy,""The Pig,""Spielzeugland (Toyland)."

24. Visual Effects: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,""The Dark Knight,""Iron Man."

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I liked it alright, but it makes sense why it got that many nominations. I just don't think it should've for best picture, direction, and screenplay.

~T

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm just surprised Slumdog had two in the song category, I honestly figured it wasn't in contention there, that Springsteen (The Wrestler) and Eastwood (Gran Torino) would have almost locks there.. that is the category that really surprises me.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Why only 3 nominations for best song this year? And most of all, why no nomination for Bruce Springsteen?

~T

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
No Let the Right One In for foreign film?

I have no desire to see Benjamin Button. First Fincher film I can say that for. Personally, Wall-E or The Wrestler would have been much more exciting BP noms. As for The Dark Knight, I didn't think as highly of it as most people, so I don't mind it's absence from the category.

I've been wanting to see a few of these films, but most of them haven't been playing around here as of yet, which is unusual. I was excited to see Doubt, but it was gone as quickly as it came.

Nice to see Michael Shannon getting a nomination, though I think he should've been nominated and won for Bug. Haven't seen RR yet.

Greg Layton

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg Layton
Man, no TDK, could almost have seen that coming... but no Gran Torino or Wrestler in best song? I guess having your song play in the credits isn't the way to go.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Personally, I prefer it this way...and I don't know if that' why these songs weren't nominated. I watched the globes last week and saw Springsteen win. Then this past weekend, I saw "The Wrestler" and when the song didn't play until the credits, my first thoughts were "What a rip-off". That's not a song from the movie any more than a song played during the trailer is.

It will be nice to see Peter Gabriel win an Oscar this year. I thought his song was the best of the year anyway.....and the two Slumdog songs will split the remaining votes.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
It wasn't eligible. I can't remember the reason. I hate the way the Academy handles foreign language films.

The BP noms were pretty easy to pick this year. 4 of the 5 were locks, and the 5th spot went to The Reader which has a lot of buzz lately.

I'm surprised Woody Allen didn't get a screenplay nom. He's been nominated 14 times for screenplay and this was one of his best films of the decade.

Also surprised to see Sally Hawkins missing from the Best Actress category for Happy-Go-Lucky.

Other than Springsteen getting snubbed, there's not a lot of other surprises really. This seems to be one of the most predictable years in a long time.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I've never been so pleased to be wrong.

When I reviewed The Visitor on Blu-ray last fall, I said that Richard Jenkins' performance was the equal of any that had been nominated for or won a best actor Oscar in the last eight years. I also said it would be overshadowed, come Oscar time, by newer films and flashier performances.

I got the first part right.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I love that Downey got nominated for Tropic Thunder as I was concerned he wouldn't be recognized because it was a comedy. Great performance.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
So glad Button received the most noms. Best film of the year for me personally. It connected with me more than any of the others I saw. Kind of disappointed that TDK didn't get a best picture nom as I thought it deserved it. I was really happy to see Downey Jr get a nom for Tropic Thunder. If it wasn't for Heath, he'd be that dark horse everyone would be pulling for on Oscar night.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

The lack of nominations probably does it a favor in the long run. If it had gotten more nominations or even won major awards I think it would have become like Gladiator - a movie more notorious for being overrated and "stealing" awards than for just being an entertaining movie.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I cannot understand how TDK doesn't get nominated for Best Picture. I am not saying it should win. But, it was a great film.

I read an article with Frank Langella. He is dying to win the award. But, it will probably go to Rourke. Although, the Oscars may be different than the Globes...Springsteen wasn't even nominated for a song that won at the Globes.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Disappointed the TDK didn't get a BP or Directing nom. It didn't surprise me, but I think it deserved it.

Glad to see In Bruges get an Original Screenplay. It's a great film that I wish had gotten an acting nom.

No Dark Knight score nom? WTF.

Didn't like seeing Forest Gump 2 with so many noms. The more I think about the movie, the more I dislike it. I love Fincher's work but not this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks