-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Memory Dumping

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted January 21 2009 - 01:39 AM

I am looking for ideas on why my computer keeps doing memory dumps. First a little history:

I run a weather station on this computer. Originally I used a HP with 2.2ghz processor and 376RAM. It was about all the computer could do to process the video. That computer got hit by lightening so I needed to replace it. Instead of buying one from a name brand because I didn’t want Vista, I had one built at the local computer store. It has a GF7025-M2 main board, AMD 64 Processor 3800+ 2.40ghz, 4 gigRAM, and a GeFroce 8600GT video card.

The first week I had it home, I got the blue screen of death and I took it back to the shop. I brought it home and all seemed well. No troubles for over a month. Then it happened again, but I didn’t take it in. It started more and more until last November it was happening every 4 days. Since then I have had the computer back to the shop 3 times and they say all is fine – It is a software issue. I explain to them that I ran the software on a less powerful computer with out any issues even though it was bogged down.

I have access to the software engineer through another forum and I will as him about the issue. This software is used world wide on all types of computers with out this issue, so I don think it is the software. Here is a summery of the blue screen message:

It says it has adequate disk space.
No driver is identified.
Recommends trying changing video adapter. (both the main board and video card are GeForce)
Check if the BIOS are up to date

Tech Info:
Stop 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0X80536FB1, 0XB4E86A18, 0XB4E86714)

Then it does a physical memory dump.

And I find the blue screen. Any thoughts?

#2 of 6 Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted January 21 2009 - 02:03 AM

The useless answer is easy: it's doing memory dumps because it's crashing.

Why is it crashing? With the right technical tools and know-how, you can probably isolate exactly which component/driver is causing the blue screen.

As a guess, it's the video card, either a hardware or driver issue, or in concert. Try updating the driver. Try switching between the video card and the onboard video (pull the video card).

#3 of 6 drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted January 21 2009 - 06:31 AM

I found 4 drivers that needed updating including the motherboard and video card. I can't believe that the computer store would waste 4 days of their time with out checking these. Posted Image I will see how it works now for a few days.

#4 of 6 nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted January 22 2009 - 02:57 AM

Keeping drivers up to date is usually the key.

One other thing to check. If the computer doesn't have a temperature monitor, install SpeedFan and keep an eye on the CPU and GPU temps. Overheating hardware can also lead to these types of BSODs.

#5 of 6 drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted January 22 2009 - 04:46 AM

I called the shop this morning. They want to format and start over. Posted Image

#6 of 6 SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted January 22 2009 - 10:54 AM

Here are some things to try:

How to troubleshoot a Stop 0x0000007E error in Windows XP