Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

MGM Press Release: James Bond Blu-ray Collection Volume 3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,576 posts

Posted January 20 2009 - 04:31 AM

BOND IS EVEN BETTER IN BLU-RAY

Three More Classic 007 Adventures Make Their High-Definition Debut
March 24 From MGM And Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment

LOS ANGELES, CA – Experience the world of Bond the way it was meant to be seen as the ultimate spy series reveals even faster car chases, shinier gadgets and sexier Bond Girls, when three classic 007 films premiere on Blu-ray Disc (BD) March 24 from MGM and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment.

Fan favorite must-own missions, GOLDFINGER, MOONRAKER, and THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH span Bond’s ageless career and have been restored and re-mastered for the highest picture and sound quality via the state-of-the-art Lowry process digital frame-by-frame restoration. These titles join DR. NO, DIE ANOTHER DAY, LIVE AND LET DIE, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE and THUNDERBALL, recently made available on BD.

One of the world’s most successful and longest running film franchises in history, the MI6 special agent boasts an astounding 98% global consumer awareness. Each James Bond Blu-ray Disc is loaded with a dossier of top-secret extras, such as declassified featurettes and exclusive interactive guides and will be available for the suggested retail price of $34.99 U.S. / $37.99 Canada each. Additionally, the trio is available together in the VOLUME THREE: GOLDFINGER, MOONRAKER, THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH collection and will be available for the suggested retail price of $89.98 U.S. / $119.98 Canada. Prebook is February 25.

Bonus Disc Specific Special Features:
Goldfinger
M Audio Commentary Featuring Director Guy Hamilton
M Audio Commentary Featuring Members of the Cast and Crew
M “Declassified: MI6 Vault”
o Sean Connery From the Set of Goldfinger
o Theodore Bikel Screen Test
o Tito Vandis Screen Test
o On Tour With the Aston Martin DB5
o Honor Blackman Open-Ended Interview
M “007 Mission Control” – Interactive Guide Into the World of Goldfinger
M Exotic Locations featurette
M Mission Dossier
o The Making of Goldfinger
o The Goldfinger Phenomenon
o Original Publicity Featurette
M Ministry of Propaganda
o Theatrical Archive
§ Original Theatrical Trailer
o TV Broadcasts
§ “Stop Look He’s Looking For Trouble – 007 It Spells Bond”
§ “Miss Honey & Miss Galore”
§ “Miss Honey & Miss Galore Have James Bond Back For More”
o Radio Communication
Original Radio Interviews with Sean Connery and other radio spots
M Image Database Galleries

Moonraker
M Audio Commentary Featuring Sir Roger Moore
M Audio Commentary Featuring Director Lewis Gilbert and Members of the Cast and Crew
M “Declassified MI6” Vault
o 007 In Rio - Original 1979 Production Featurette
o Bond '79
o Ken Adam's Production Films
o Learning to Freefall - Sky Diving Test Footage
o Sky Diving Storyboards
o Circus Footage
o Cable Car Alternative Storyboard 1
o Cable Car Alternative Storyboard 2
M “007 Mission Control” – Interactive Guide Into the World of Moonraker
M “Exotic Locations” featurette
M Mission Dossier
o Inside Moonraker - An Original Documentary
o The Men Behind the Mayhem - Special Effects Documentary
M Ministry of Propaganda
o Release Trailer

The World Is Not Enough
M Audio Commentary Featuring Director Michael Apted
M Audio Commentary Featuring Peter Lamont, David Arnold and Vic Armstrong
Disc Specific Special Features (cont’d):
M “Declassified: MI6 Vault”
o Deleted & Extended Scenes with Introductions by Director Michael Apted
§ Deleted Scene: Meeting Renard
§ Extended Scene: Bond Tries To Stop King
§ Deleted Scene: DB5 at King’s Funeral
§ Extended Scene: The Things We Do For England
§ Deleted Scene: Static Charge
§ Deleted Scene: Oil and Blood
§ Alternate Scene: Trouble in the Pipeline
o The Boat Chase
§ Introduction with Director Michael Apted
§ Extended Scene: The Thames Boat Chase
§ Expanded Angle View
§ Alternate Angle View
§ Original Scene
o “James Bond Down River” – Original 1999 Featurette
o Creating an Icon: Making the Teaser Trailer
o Hong Kong Press Conference
M “007 Mission Control” – Interactive Guide Into the World of The World Is Not Enough
M Exotic Locations featurette
M Mission Dossier
o The Making of The World Is Not Enough
o Bond Cocktail
o Tribute to Desmond Llewelyn
o “The World Is Not Enough” Music Video by Garbage
o The Secrets of 007: Alternative Video Option
§ Opening Jump
§ Boat Chase
§ Main Title
§ Hologram
§ Ski Scene
§ X-Ray Vision!
§ Nuclear Facility
§ Caviar Factory
§ Submarine
M Ministry of Propaganda
o Release Trailer

James Bond Blu-Ray Singles
Blu-ray Disc Price: $34.99 U.S. / $37.99 Canada each
Order Due Date: February 25, 2009
Street Date: March 24, 2009
Screen Format: Widescreen
Audio Features: 5.1 Dolby Surround
Subtitles: Spanish and French
Closed Captioned: Yes

James Bond Blu-Ray Collection Volume Three
DVD Price: $89.98 U.S. / $119.98 Canada
Order Due Date: February 25, 2009
Street Date: March 24, 2009
Screen Format: Widescreen
Audio Features: 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio (Lossless); Spanish 5.1
Dolby Digital; French 5.1 Dolby Digital
Subtitles: English, Spanish, Cantonese, Korean, Mandarin
Closed Captioned: No

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 33 OFFLINE   MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted January 20 2009 - 04:54 AM

I like all three of these ... I'll be getting them all anyway, but this release makes me happy.

I WOULD be psyched about the Volume 3 box set, except that Fox/Mgm's packaging is so absolutely terrible that I'll be getting them individually.
Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted January 21 2009 - 02:07 AM

I will be getting them individually as well, because I LOVE the Steel Cases.

#4 of 33 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted January 21 2009 - 02:08 AM

So does this mean a different retailer will be releasing steelbooks for each wave?
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   Richard Ringenbach

Richard Ringenbach

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted January 21 2009 - 11:42 AM

I thought there were 2 more volumes being released. Has anyone heard why volume 4 isn't being released on 3/24 ?

Thanks !
Richard Ringenbach

#6 of 33 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted January 22 2009 - 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Ringenbach
I thought there were 2 more volumes being released. Has anyone heard why volume 4 isn't being released on 3/24 ?

No, I haven't specifically heard of a reason why volume 4 hasn't been released yet, though I would suspect sales of volumes 1 and 2 weren't quite what they expected. I would think we'd see volume 4 arrive by 4Q at the latest.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted March 23 2009 - 07:49 AM

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but after the stellar PQ of DR NO and FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE and the certainly far-from-shoddy presentations of the other films in the first wave of Bond Blu-rays, there is going to be some shock at how poor the blu-rays of MOONRAKER and THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH are.

Bear in mind that this is based on watching only the first twenty minutes of each and skip-checks of the rest of the movies, and both of these discs are the UK editions.

During the outdoor scenes, nothing looks terribly noticeable, though there is nothing like the "pop" factor seen in the Connery restorations. However, in MOONRAKER, in the scene when Roger seduces Corinne Clery in a low-lit room, I became aware of some of the worst compression artefacting I've yet seen on Hi-Def. Faces were blurry and pronounced motion-trailing could be seen; so much so that I had to check my settings. I played it in both a PS3 and a Sony 350 and both exhibited the problem. This is one seriously botched job, folks, and I'm not even that much of a stickler.

THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH is better but that "motion-trailing" from over-compression is still present. On both films the AVC mbps don't seem to get much higher than the mid-30s and drop to as low as 17 mbps with regularity.

It's a severe disappointment, especially given the PQ of QUANTUM OF SOLACE and the excellent presentation of NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN, which in contrast seems to hover in the high-30s mbps.

I honestly don't know what to make of this. It's so bad in comparison to the first batch that I'm tempted to think there's been some kind of error on Fox's part, especially as the Beaver reports good rates for GOLDFINGER overall. Those of you who haven't bought the discs yet should maybe hold on until someone a bit more knowledgeable than me chimes in on this. The US versions may be better.

EDIT: DISREGARD THIS POST. THE ERROR WAS ON MY PART, NOT FOX'S. SEE MY GROVELLING APOLOGY BELOW!!
I've been going to bed early . . .

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   RDarrylR

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted March 23 2009 - 07:53 AM

Well I think i'll hold off on Vol. 3 for now then. I'm getting Never Say Never Again and Quantum of Solace for sure though. I would like to own the collections rather the individual titles though on the older ones.

#9 of 33 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDarrylR
Well I think i'll hold off on Vol. 3 for now then. I'm getting Never Say Never Again and Quantum of Solace for sure though. I would like to own the collections rather the individual titles though on the older ones.
You're holding off based on one user's mention? Because I'm not so sure what Anthony is seeing is a universal problem, or at least not with the US versions. Several people here and elsewhere have taken a look at the film, and no one's mentioned the artifacts/trailing that he mentions. The worse I've seen is "slightly soft" in one or two scenes, and one mention of edging that is as likely to have come from the way the film was shot as post-production sharpening.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   RDarrylR

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 08:30 AM

Well I have about 10 Blu-rays that I haven't watched yet so there's no rush. I was going to buy today but they'll still be there next week Posted Image

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted March 24 2009 - 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow
You're holding off based on one user's mention? Because I'm not so sure what Anthony is seeing is a universal problem, or at least not with the US versions. Several people here and elsewhere have taken a look at the film, and no one's mentioned the artifacts/trailing that he mentions. The worse I've seen is "slightly soft" in one or two scenes, and one mention of edging that is as likely to have come from the way the film was shot as post-production sharpening.

Yes, you're right, I'm sorry - I am a DICK! I just realised that I had the noise reduction function on FULL on my TV. That was what was causing the blurring. It's not something I usually use, honest! But that's why I'd forgotten.

So there is NO NEED to hold off on buying MOONRAKER. Let my post stand as a reminder of my shame and a warning to all others who jump the gun before checking all settings!

But as I've said in the other thread of shame - even under these conditions, NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN looked great. Though I'd forgive you for never taking my word for anything again.

You may now point and laugh at the doofus.

#12 of 33 OFFLINE   martymc80s

martymc80s

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 09:11 AM

in my opinion, the PQ for the Moonraker Blu-Ray is absolutely outstanding. Posted Image

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   RDarrylR

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 10:59 AM

Well that's good to hear. At the time I read Anthony's thoughts I still had not seen any reviews or impressions from anyone else on volume 3 so his opinion is better than any other I had Posted Image

#14 of 33 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted March 24 2009 - 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDarrylR
Well that's good to hear. At the time I read Anthony's thoughts I still had not seen any reviews or impressions from anyone else on volume 3 so his opinion is better than any other I had Posted Image

I'm never going to live this down, am I?

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   martymc80s

martymc80s

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 01:27 PM

Yeah, watched Moonraker again (got the UK single standalone edition) and really impressed with the way it looks. Particularly love this film because of Derek Meddings' model work and the fact that, instead of using optical shots, they rewound into the camera, adding each element separately.

Apart from some dodgy rear projection work that sticks out like a sore thumb in some scenes, Moonraker looks (and sounds) stunning.

At first I thought there might be a touch of oversharpening, but to be honest, similar to when I saw 2001 on BD last October, I think I was just not used to the level of detail that BD can provide.

Jeez, I should sell Bond DVDs for a living instead of being a musician. Posted Image

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   martymc80s

martymc80s

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 01:29 PM

Yeah, watched Moonraker again (got the UK single standalone edition) and really impressed with the way it looks. Particularly love this film because of Derek Meddings' model work and the fact that, instead of using optical shots, they rewound into the camera, adding each element separately.

Apart from some dodgy rear projection work that sticks out like a sore thumb in some scenes, Moonraker looks (and sounds) stunning.

At first I thought there might be a touch of oversharpening, but to be honest, similar to when I saw 2001 on BD last October, I think I was just not used to the level of detail that BD can provide.

Jeez, I sound like a Blu-Ray advert. Posted Image

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,053 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 02:45 PM

Could we get some screenshots of Moonraker? I ordered mine from Amazon, so I have to wait a bit. Posted Image

I posted a link for some screens I saw on AVS Forum in the other thread here at HTF. They have screen caps for Golden Gun and Licence To Kill.

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Neilson
Yes, you're right, I'm sorry - I am a DICK! I just realised that I had the noise reduction function on FULL on my TV. That was what was causing the blurring. It's not something I usually use, honest! But that's why I'd forgotten.

So there is NO NEED to hold off on buying MOONRAKER. Let my post stand as a reminder of my shame and a warning to all others who jump the gun before checking all settings!
I hope this is what it looks like (i.e., self-deprecating humor) and not self-flagellation, because I didn't mean to imply that you in any way resembled male human genitalia. Well, maybe if you're balding...Posted Image

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,046 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 25 2009 - 11:11 AM

I just bought the two boxsets on sale at BB for Goldfinger, Moonraker, The World is not Enough, Quantum of Solace, License to Kill and Man with the Golden Gun. The price for each title worked out to $16.43. Sure, the Target price for the first three is cheaper, but I wanted all six films so I'm happy with that deal.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
I just bought the two boxsets on sale at BB for Goldfinger, Moonraker, The World is not Enough, Quantum of Solace, License to Kill and Man with the Golden Gun. The price for each title worked out to $16.43. Sure, the Target price for the first three is cheaper, but I wanted all six films so I'm happy with that deal.
That was my original plan- however, since I have a lot of apathy towards TWINE, and since The BB box uses the actual slipcases, I decided to just get Goldfinger and Moonraker + the Box. However, if the Target price is accurate, I'll pick up all three next week and return the ones from BB.

I just hope I'm not making a mistake with the early release set. I haven't seen QoS yet, but everything I've read and heard from friends has me set up for a letdown (I hate shaky cam and that Greengrass style strobe light editing). I like Craig though, so I'm hoping he'll at least make it watchable.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow