What's new

Wii or PS3 for RockBand2?? (1 Viewer)

tom milton

Agent
right now RockBand 2 is the only game planned for the new console.

i realize that the PS3 operates as a blueray DVD player. any other reason to choose it over the Wii, or vice versa, for RockBand 2?

thanks!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The internal Hard Drive of the PS3 will make downloadable content much easier to deal with (for the Wii, you would have to store all your DLC on SD cards). Plus if you have Rock Band 1 or are planning to get it, you can import nearly all the songs to be available to play in Rock Band 2. I am assuming this is not an option for the Wii.

Obviously, I am advising going with the PS3 for Rock Band. And the fact that it plays Blu-Ray is huge.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The in-game graphics will be far superior on the PS3, although the graphics aren't the most important thing for Rock Band. The PS3's hard drive is a major plus if you plan on downloading more songs.

Do you have an HD set? In addition to playing Blu-Rays, remember that the PS3 will also upconvert regular DVDs. Do you think you'll buy more games in the future?

The PS3 will cost a lot more money, but there's a lot more that you can do with it.

tom milton

Agent
thanks for the help!

obviously i don't know much about this, and i wasn't sure of the advantages of the hard drive on the PS3. any other use besides downloading more RB2 songs? could it be used as a backup drive for my laptop PC? is the 160gb model the one to get, or stick with 80gb?

i didn't realize that the PS3 did upconversion of regular DVDs. i think that my Denon receiver may upconvert, but i'm not sure.

i was thinking that for the price difference i could have a Wii and a separate bluray, but the all in one package PS3 might be better.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Plus, the Wii is still hard to find. You still can't expect to just be able to just walk into a store at any time and get one.

As for the 80 vs 160 gig. It's just a matter of how much storage you think you will need and how much you pay for it. If you're just interested in Rock Band, the 80gb should be fine. And you can always swap the hard drive for a larger one if you feel you need more storage (although, supposedly, you cannot transfer your Rock Band data to another hard drive for some reason, so you may want to keep that in mind). I have an original 60gb and I have data for RB1 and RB2 (with the RB1 songs ported over to RB2) and a fair amount of DLC. I have some other game data on there as well, and I think I still have at least 20gb left.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
You can also download free demos of various PS3 games to your hard drive.

Supposedly, upgrading the hard drive is very easy, but I haven't done that (yet) myself.

latiger12

Auditioning
Real Name
Jamie

If you are a hard core gamer, get the PS3. Its a lot more powerful than the Wii. If you are using it for a family console, get the wii, its more family oriented.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
You should also consider if you have friends with a particular console. One of the reasons we went with Guitar Hero World Tour for the Wii is because we had friends who had Guitar Hero for the Wii. It was a plus that the Guitar Hero World Tour seemed to be better implemented on the Wii than the other consoles. I have no idea about Rock Band though.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Get the smallest capacity PS3 possible (used is fine and will save you $$$). Hard drive upgrades are officially supported by Sony and you can do the work yourself (very simple). A 300GB Laptop HDD is ~$65-70 and will give you tons of room for media and games. The PS3 also is a capable media hub and has a lot of extras (free online gaming, wireless, bluray player, etc., etc.). The PS3 version is also capable of higher (HD) resolutions (but that's not a major factor for Rockband).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think the most important question is: what would the primary purpose of buying a console be? Is it for you? The kids? Family? Gaming or just entertainment in general?

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

"Rock Band 2" is the "only game" you want for your new console, or..? Can´t be?

In any case, PS3 has a proper hard drive, which you´ll probably need with a game like RB2. New, downloadable tracks/track packs and stuff like that are coming all the time.

But PS3 has also PLENTY of other advantages (1080p, hard drive, Blu-ray, great upscaling, quality media player and some great "PS3 exclusive" games for starters), so I´m sure RB2 is not that high on the list when deciding what console you want (since it´s available in ALL consoles).. ;)

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Well of course if you want to download more songs its the PS3 or Xbox. But I have the WII and since I had Guitar Hero's first. I skipped the Rockband series and got Guitar Hero's 2. Cause you can use the former as a 2nd guitar, the only drawback is can'tdownload new songs. And your controllers need to be in the instruments.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Rock Band has DLC on the Wii. It saves songs to an SD memory card. I thought Guitar Hero: WT did this, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks