What's new

if Looney Tunes' "Golden Collection" is over, what's up next? (1 Viewer)

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
After six volumes, it appears that Looney Tunes have decided to retire the Golden Collection format.
But surely they haven't decided to retire the art of releasing theatrical cartoon shorts! So what can we expect next year from them?
I'm hoping they'll go for something like The Complete Bugs Bunny Collection.............

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
There's another thread here saying that WHV intends more Looney Tunes releases, but they haven't said what they'll be yet.
They've said they won't "double dip," which means there (probably) won't be any sensible, chronological, truly complete release of the greatest cartoons in Hollywood history, as there have been for Donald Duck, Woody Woodpecker, Popeye, etc. It's really a shame they didn't do this right in the first place with two or three years of cartoons to a set.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Whatever happened to the TEX AVERY set that was rumored and would be much coveted by his kazillion fans? There is/was a region 2 4-disc set available, but I wasn't very taken with the image quality of it.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm eagerly awaiting some kind of announcement. I thought the deeper wells they were dipping into in the later volumes were way more interesting then the common fair of the first few.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I think collectors would be receptive to chronological sets. Each set could represent one year. The Warner Bros. cartoons arguably reached their peak during the 1946-1955 period and I would love to see a complete 1948 set, as one example, which would include a number of great cartoons that have never been released on home video. I would buy every set.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
As loath I am to double-dipping, if the next approach is to go with Blu-ray, then it would be a shame not to have HD versions of the previous cartoons released. I suppose if they simply released BD versions of the previous sets (without mixing previously released cartoons in with fresh ones), that would work.

TravisD

Agent
Real Name
Travis D
Considering they did not release alot of:

Foghorn

Marvin Martian

Taz

1/2 of Road Runner

Burt and Hubie

Claude

Charlie Dog

or Tex Avery's stuff....I can see them doing sets with a theme.

There are shedloads of Daffys and Bugs still not out.

What I wanna know,.is why some really good tunes were relegated to "bonus" features.....ala Rabbit Rampage,and Snafu.

I was MAD,...M-A-D when I went through this last set and had to look up RRampage again at wiki......to see that it's a bonus.

Why that tune was NOT on the 1st set with Duck Amok,....is almost unforgivable.

That said,....I just hope they get them all out...from 1938-1958......I don't think anyone could touch the consistancy of their work.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
TravisD said:
What I wanna know,.is why some really good tunes were relegated to "bonus" features.....ala Rabbit Rampage,and Snafu.
I was surprised by that too, such a good toon! That said, I'm more glad to have it then to be too outraged by it not being a main event. None of the bonus cartoons in this wave really make sense, I'm guessing they were masters ready to go so they jammed as many on as possible.
Now I hope for a complete Tex Avery At MGM set with a bonus of the unreleased Warners cartoons. I know, I ask for a lot eh? XD

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
buttmunker said:
Boy, I would love that. I deliberately have passed on all the Looney Tunes Collections thus far because I only want the Bugs Bunny cartoons. If Warner releases those separately as happened with Popeye, I'm buying.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
According to an interview with Jerry Beck, it looks like WB won't release any Looney Tunes or Popeye DVDs this year.
On the other hand, looks like Universal will put out a third Woody Woodpecker/Walter Lantz collection and CBS is releasing some Terrytoons.
Joe Karlosi said:
Boy, I would love that. I deliberately have passed on all the Looney Tunes Collections thus far because I only want the Bugs Bunny cartoons. If Warner releases those separately as happened with Popeye, I'm buying.
I love Bugs as much as anyone else, but I find myself rewatching the more varied discs in the sets. There's an incredibly many gems that would remain unreleased had WB decided to stick only to main characters. If more had their way, WB would be frowned upon releasing anything before 1950, let alone outside of the main characters.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
For Jerry Beck's interview, CBS is mulling over the idea of releasing a Mighty Mouse set. We'll probably see at least a smattering of other Terrytoons (a la the Woody Woodpecker sets). Likewise, Sony is also apparently considering a UPA set with emphasis on Mr. Magoo.
What I want to know is; What the hell happened to all of the plans Warner made for Looney Tunes DVD's this year? And what felonies do we have to commit in order to get a Fleischer set out of Lionsgate?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Kevin Martinez said:
What I want to know is; What the hell happened to all of the plans Warner made for Looney Tunes DVD's this year?
Most likely, those plans were changed because either the economy is not in the greatest of shape or because V6 didn't sell that great or probably a combination of both.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
"The Warner Bros. cartoons arguably reached their peak during the 1946-1955 period "

I would strongly disagree with this statement late 30's to 44 is the high

piont.Tash,Clampet,Tex Freleng and Jones are better than McKimson,Freleng

Davis&Jones

You should be happy,Warner agrees with you,there are hardly any avery

tunes on the 6 sets

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Peter Neski said:
"The Warner Bros. cartoons arguably reached their peak during the 1946-1955 period "
I would strongly disagree with this statement late 30's to 44 is the high
piont.Tash,Clampet,Tex Freleng and Jones are better than McKimson,Freleng
Davis&Jones
You should be happy,Warner agrees with you,there are hardly any avery
tunes on the 6 sets
Everybody definitely has their favorite period for Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies. I qualified my statement by including "arguably" because that is only my opinion and is certainly not an objective statement.
I have more favorites in the period from 1946 through 1955 than any other era for those cartoons. I infer that most of your favorites are from about 1938 through 1944. I prefer the character models and animation for the latter period which is why I favor those cartoons. Bugs has always been my favorite, and the character model for Bugs did not become consistent until the period of about 1944 through 1946.
I do agree with you that Avery is unfairly under-represented on the Golden Collection sets. I may not agree that Tashlin and Clampett are superior to McKimson and Davis but we all have our favorites. Tashlin and Clampett definitely created some classics and so did McKimson and Davis.
I think we can agree that Warner Brothers has been parsimonious in doling out our respective favorites. I would love to see these cartoons released chronologically in "season" sets, and I would jump as quickly to buy a 1944 set as a 1954 set. I would prefer chronological releases because it is easier to study and appreciate the evolution of the styles of these cartoons than if the cartoons are collected from all over the place like in the Golden Collections.
Would anybody else out there like to see that happen, or is it just me?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I would already love to just see the rest of the Road Runner cartoons.

Cees

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Patrick McCart said:
I love Bugs as much as anyone else, but I find myself rewatching the more varied discs in the sets. There's an incredibly many gems that would remain unreleased had WB decided to stick only to main characters. If more had their way, WB would be frowned upon releasing anything before 1950, let alone outside of the main characters.
I agree. There's so many masterpieces in the sets that would never had seen the light of day if some had their way of sticking to main character sets, or only what's aired on Saturday morning.
Bugs Bunny in particular had entire discs devoted to him, and large portions of the rest of the sets, which could have been gotten on the Spotlight Collections.
I know some people have complained about how WB released the cartoons, but I say they did an outstanding job. Everyone wants something different, and they tried to please the bigger fans with the Golden Collections, and the minor fans with the Spotlight Collections. I loved the variation we received.
I hope they stick to their plans of not double dipping.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It wouldn't be a bad idea to put out season sets of The Bugs Bunny Show, restored and reconstructed in color. Get Legend Films to re-color the segments surviving only in B&W and drop in the restored cartoons. No need for extras outside of commercials and perhaps music-only tracks.
Not that it would be cost effective outside of a fluke, but it would be interesting to make it the season sets a BluRay release that allows one to view the cartoons in their original form, plus the TV episodes.
But I think if sales are down, I don't see what's difficult about WB switching to only releasing Spotlite Collection sets with no extras. They sell for cheap, so it wouldn't be as cost prohibitive as the $40 4-disc sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks