-

Photo

if Looney Tunes' "Golden Collection" is over, what's up next?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 buttmunker

buttmunker

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted January 19 2009 - 12:40 PM

After six volumes, it appears that Looney Tunes have decided to retire the Golden Collection format.

But surely they haven't decided to retire the art of releasing theatrical cartoon shorts! So what can we expect next year from them?

I'm hoping they'll go for something like The Complete Bugs Bunny Collection.............
"The power of love will keep you home at night" -Huey Lewis & The News

"I give in to sin because you have to make this life liveable" -Depeche Mode

#2 of 34 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,016 posts

Posted January 19 2009 - 01:58 PM

There's another thread here saying that WHV intends more Looney Tunes releases, but they haven't said what they'll be yet.

They've said they won't "double dip," which means there (probably) won't be any sensible, chronological, truly complete release of the greatest cartoons in Hollywood history, as there have been for Donald Duck, Woody Woodpecker, Popeye, etc. It's really a shame they didn't do this right in the first place with two or three years of cartoons to a set.

#3 of 34 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,093 posts

Posted January 19 2009 - 03:07 PM

Whatever happened to the TEX AVERY set that was rumored and would be much coveted by his kazillion fans? There is/was a region 2 4-disc set available, but I wasn't very taken with the image quality of it.

#4 of 34 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,764 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 21 2009 - 04:18 AM

I'm eagerly awaiting some kind of announcement. I thought the deeper wells they were dipping into in the later volumes were way more interesting then the common fair of the first few.

#5 of 34 Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts

Posted January 21 2009 - 06:53 AM

I think collectors would be receptive to chronological sets. Each set could represent one year. The Warner Bros. cartoons arguably reached their peak during the 1946-1955 period and I would love to see a complete 1948 set, as one example, which would include a number of great cartoons that have never been released on home video. I would buy every set.

#6 of 34 Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted January 22 2009 - 08:24 AM

As loath I am to double-dipping, if the next approach is to go with Blu-ray, then it would be a shame not to have HD versions of the previous cartoons released. I suppose if they simply released BD versions of the previous sets (without mixing previously released cartoons in with fresh ones), that would work.
-Jay

#7 of 34 TravisD

TravisD

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted January 29 2009 - 06:02 AM

Considering they did not release alot of:
Foghorn
Marvin Martian
Taz
1/2 of Road Runner
Burt and Hubie
Claude
Charlie Dog

or Tex Avery's stuff....I can see them doing sets with a theme.
There are shedloads of Daffys and Bugs still not out.

What I wanna know,.is why some really good tunes were relegated to "bonus" features.....ala Rabbit Rampage,and Snafu.

I was MAD,...M-A-D when I went through this last set and had to look up RRampage again at wiki......to see that it's a bonus.

Why that tune was NOT on the 1st set with Duck Amok,....is almost unforgivable.

That said,....I just hope they get them all out...from 1938-1958......I don't think anyone could touch the consistancy of their work.

#8 of 34 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,764 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 29 2009 - 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisD
What I wanna know,.is why some really good tunes were relegated to "bonus" features.....ala Rabbit Rampage,and Snafu.

I was surprised by that too, such a good toon! That said, I'm more glad to have it then to be too outraged by it not being a main event. None of the bonus cartoons in this wave really make sense, I'm guessing they were masters ready to go so they jammed as many on as possible.

Now I hope for a complete Tex Avery At MGM set with a bonus of the unreleased Warners cartoons. I know, I ask for a lot eh? XD

#9 of 34 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 5,998 posts

Posted January 29 2009 - 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttmunker
I'm hoping they'll go for something like The Complete Bugs Bunny Collection.............

Boy, I would love that. I deliberately have passed on all the Looney Tunes Collections thus far because I only want the Bugs Bunny cartoons. If Warner releases those separately as happened with Popeye, I'm buying.

#10 of 34 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,468 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted January 29 2009 - 12:55 PM

According to an interview with Jerry Beck, it looks like WB won't release any Looney Tunes or Popeye DVDs this year.

On the other hand, looks like Universal will put out a third Woody Woodpecker/Walter Lantz collection and CBS is releasing some Terrytoons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi
Boy, I would love that. I deliberately have passed on all the Looney Tunes Collections thus far because I only want the Bugs Bunny cartoons. If Warner releases those separately as happened with Popeye, I'm buying.

I love Bugs as much as anyone else, but I find myself rewatching the more varied discs in the sets. There's an incredibly many gems that would remain unreleased had WB decided to stick only to main characters. If more had their way, WB would be frowned upon releasing anything before 1950, let alone outside of the main characters.

#11 of 34 Kevin L McCorry

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted January 29 2009 - 01:43 PM

Nothing.

#12 of 34 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,016 posts

Posted January 29 2009 - 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McCart
... CBS is releasing some Terrytoons.

I'd like to know more about this. Which Terrytoons?

#13 of 34 Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted January 29 2009 - 02:14 PM

For Jerry Beck's interview, CBS is mulling over the idea of releasing a Mighty Mouse set. We'll probably see at least a smattering of other Terrytoons (a la the Woody Woodpecker sets). Likewise, Sony is also apparently considering a UPA set with emphasis on Mr. Magoo.

What I want to know is; What the hell happened to all of the plans Warner made for Looney Tunes DVD's this year? And what felonies do we have to commit in order to get a Fleischer set out of Lionsgate?

#14 of 34 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,797 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 29 2009 - 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Martinez
What I want to know is; What the hell happened to all of the plans Warner made for Looney Tunes DVD's this year?
Most likely, those plans were changed because either the economy is not in the greatest of shape or because V6 didn't sell that great or probably a combination of both.

#15 of 34 Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 887 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 06:13 AM

"The Warner Bros. cartoons arguably reached their peak during the 1946-1955 period "

I would strongly disagree with this statement late 30's to 44 is the high
piont.Tash,Clampet,Tex Freleng and Jones are better than McKimson,Freleng
Davis&Jones
You should be happy,Warner agrees with you,there are hardly any avery
tunes on the 6 sets

#16 of 34 Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neski
"The Warner Bros. cartoons arguably reached their peak during the 1946-1955 period "

I would strongly disagree with this statement late 30's to 44 is the high
piont.Tash,Clampet,Tex Freleng and Jones are better than McKimson,Freleng
Davis&Jones
You should be happy,Warner agrees with you,there are hardly any avery
tunes on the 6 sets

Everybody definitely has their favorite period for Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies. I qualified my statement by including "arguably" because that is only my opinion and is certainly not an objective statement.

I have more favorites in the period from 1946 through 1955 than any other era for those cartoons. I infer that most of your favorites are from about 1938 through 1944. I prefer the character models and animation for the latter period which is why I favor those cartoons. Bugs has always been my favorite, and the character model for Bugs did not become consistent until the period of about 1944 through 1946.

I do agree with you that Avery is unfairly under-represented on the Golden Collection sets. I may not agree that Tashlin and Clampett are superior to McKimson and Davis but we all have our favorites. Tashlin and Clampett definitely created some classics and so did McKimson and Davis.

I think we can agree that Warner Brothers has been parsimonious in doling out our respective favorites. I would love to see these cartoons released chronologically in "season" sets, and I would jump as quickly to buy a 1944 set as a 1954 set. I would prefer chronological releases because it is easier to study and appreciate the evolution of the styles of these cartoons than if the cartoons are collected from all over the place like in the Golden Collections.

Would anybody else out there like to see that happen, or is it just me?

#17 of 34 Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,417 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 07:13 AM

An episode of The Bugs Bunny Show is not being included in Warner Bros 1960's set of Saturday Morning cartoons per the updated list at TV Shows On DVD. This is very disappointing.

Site News DVD news: Contents for Saturday Morning Cartoons - 1960's Volume 1 and Saturday Morning Cartoons - 1970's Volume 1 | TVShowsOnDVD.com

I don't remember the show, but I assume the Porky Pig show included has no animation done exclusively for the show like the Bugs Bunny Show had.

#18 of 34 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,616 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 09:34 AM

I would already love to just see the rest of the Road Runner cartoons.

Cees

#19 of 34 WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted January 30 2009 - 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McCart

I love Bugs as much as anyone else, but I find myself rewatching the more varied discs in the sets. There's an incredibly many gems that would remain unreleased had WB decided to stick only to main characters. If more had their way, WB would be frowned upon releasing anything before 1950, let alone outside of the main characters.

I agree. There's so many masterpieces in the sets that would never had seen the light of day if some had their way of sticking to main character sets, or only what's aired on Saturday morning.

Bugs Bunny in particular had entire discs devoted to him, and large portions of the rest of the sets, which could have been gotten on the Spotlight Collections.

I know some people have complained about how WB released the cartoons, but I say they did an outstanding job. Everyone wants something different, and they tried to please the bigger fans with the Golden Collections, and the minor fans with the Spotlight Collections. I loved the variation we received.

I hope they stick to their plans of not double dipping.

#20 of 34 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,468 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted January 31 2009 - 02:07 AM

It wouldn't be a bad idea to put out season sets of The Bugs Bunny Show, restored and reconstructed in color. Get Legend Films to re-color the segments surviving only in B&W and drop in the restored cartoons. No need for extras outside of commercials and perhaps music-only tracks.

Not that it would be cost effective outside of a fluke, but it would be interesting to make it the season sets a BluRay release that allows one to view the cartoons in their original form, plus the TV episodes.

But I think if sales are down, I don't see what's difficult about WB switching to only releasing Spotlite Collection sets with no extras. They sell for cheap, so it wouldn't be as cost prohibitive as the $40 4-disc sets.

Back to DVD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow