What's new

Outlander (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
This looks quite entertaining.

Can't find any better trailers then this one. You'll have to scroll down and then click on the 720p WMV link for the better of the two.

Dave's Trailer Page

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
No Blu-ray?

I checked Amazon and Best Buy online, no one's got it and both sites state 1-3 weeks back ordered. Where did you find it for sale already?

troy evans

Screenwriter
Wal-Mart. I couldn't wait for the Blu-ray release down the road. But, when this does come to Blu ( Weinstein Company please get off your ass) I'm all over it.

troy evans

Screenwriter
I have to say, this movie lives up to its hyped-up trailer. If the trailer gets you interested, the full film knocks it out of the park. It is very rare something like this is done on such an incredible level. I really can't believe this movie wasn't promoted more. Too bad.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Pleasantly surprised. I was about to say the same thing; I downloaded & watched this (via Sony PSN, it's available for order now in the Video Store) and was caught off guard. Thought it was way better then expected.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Great movie. Inventive, fun, extremely gorgeous to look at (effects, sets, design, shots), and as good as Vikings versus an alien could be. Which is saying a lot for me. I saw Pathfinder in theaters (and it royally sucked, sadly).

I can't recommend this film enough...thanks to matt, I saw it in HD on my PSN. I'll be happy to buy the Blu Ray when it hits.

It looks like it costs about 4X as much as it did. Performances are very strong, as is the direction. It's a B-movie, but with a lot of talent behind it (both actors and crew), and with all of the energy that brings.

Reminded me of Pitch Black...a movie way beyond the expectations. Has a little cheese towards the end, but I had so much goodwill by that point, no worries
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
A under-the-radar gem.

9/10,
Chuck

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Very cool Chuck, I'm really looking forward to this, it just looks like loads of fun and very cool.

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
I'm finding the hyperbole here somewhat over the top. It's a solid little action/fantasy movie; Beowulf mashed with Predator is a very apt description, with bits of Dragonslayer and The Relic thrown in.

The plus is that the film looks better than its relatively small budget. The Moorwen is very cool, and has some great scenes. The cast all throw themselves into their roles, and the sets, both outdoor and interiors, look fantastic.

The film itself is too long by at least 20 minutes, and that mashup effect takes its toll as the movie goes along. The premise is just fantastic, but the film doesn't have enough fun with it. Indeed, that's my biggest problem: as a viewer, you say "cool" a lot, but really don't care about any of the characters.

Definitely worth renting, and it's a nice little fix for your monster movie jones. But there are definitely better films in the genre out there.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Yes, but the praise here has nothing to do with the fact that there are better films, and more to do with how good this film is. When you take into account the budget, and the fact not many even knew it existed, it can make quite an impression. Especially, when you see shit hit the theater not even half as good and get more press also.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Hey, I don't regret praising it. Sure, it might be a bit too long. But it is enthusiastic, well-made, with a fun concept and a cool monster. I like it better than all the summer releases so far, and it really is near the top of the genre for me. Is it better than Predator or Aliens? Of course not. Is it superior to The Day The Earth Stood Still and I Am Legend? Absolutely.

John Doran

Screenwriter
i just started seeing the trailer for this on TV this past weekend, and found myself hoping the film would be as good as the trailer seemed to suggest.

glad to hear that seems to be the case - can't wait to check this one out.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Keep in mind, we're all saying this as people who went in with low expectations. But it's a good reminder of the original predator. If you can go with that.. I was surprised the acting was as good as it was for something that I figured was a low-budget B flick. And it's still a B flick, it's just way better then expected
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
My Blu-ray shipped today and will be here on the 29th, looking very forward to watching it.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Now I'm pissed. I just ordered this on Blu from Canada and have come to find out some bad news. Outlanders OAR is 2:35, but, the Canadian Blu-ray is 1:78. WTF!!!! They say the PQ is superior to the sd dvd and all the extras are there with a DTS-MA track as well. But, an aspect ratio fuck-up doesn't cut it with me. I'll just send this back and wait and see what the U.S. release has in store. This is released on Blu in England on September and is already out in France, if anyone cares. Damn, Damn, Damn, Dammit!!!! This pisses me off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks