Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TCFHE Press Release: The Silence of the Lambs (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,606 posts

Posted January 14 2009 - 09:48 AM

DEVOUR ONE OF THE MOST INTELLIGENT THRILLERS
IN HIGH DEFINITION
THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
Five-Time Oscar Winning Film Starring Anthony Hopkins And Jodie Foster
Comes To Blu-ray Disc March 3 From MGM Home Entertainment

LOS ANGELES, CA – The infamous psychiatrist and cannibalistic serial killer, Dr. Hannibal Lecter consumes his way onto Blu-ray Disc in The Silence Of The Lambs, arriving March 3 courtesy of MGM Home Entertainment. Based on the frightening best-seller by Thomas Harris, The Silence Of The Lambs stars Academy Award® winners Anthony Hopkins (The Silence of the Lambs) and Jodie Foster (The Silence of the Lambs, The Accused) in their most highly acclaimed roles. Clarice Starling (Foster) is a young FBI trainee who seeks the advice of the imprisoned psychiatrist and diabolical cannibal Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Hopkins) on catching an elusive serial killer known only as "Buffalo Bill” (Ted Levine; "Monk,” Joy Ride). As Bill’s most recent abductee garners national media attention, the rookie agent meets with Lecter, demanding information about her personal life in exchange for clues and forming a strangely intimate connection in the process. The Silence Of The Lambs made history in 1992 as the third film to ever win the top five Academy Awards® – with wins for Best Picture, Best Director (Jonathan Demme), Best Actor (Hopkins), Best Actress (Foster) and Best Screenplay (adapted). Dr. Lecter, deliciously portrayed with gleeful malice by Sir Anthony Hopkins, was later voted by the American Film Institute to be the most memorable villain in film history.

The Silence Of The Lambs Blu-ray Disc goes behind-the-scenes and behind-the-mask to uncover a buffet of thrilling extras from the film including the behind-the-scenes featurettes Breaking The Silence and Understanding The Madness (in high definition), a documentary featuring the two-part The Silence Of The Lambs: From Page To Screen and a featurette about the film’s frightening score. Also featured are Inside The Labyrinth: Making The Silence Of The Lambs, an original “making of” featurette from the film’s 1991 theatrical release, over 20 deleted scenes, an outtake reel, TV spots and a special phone message from Sir Anthony Hopkins. The Silence Of The Lambs Blu-ray Disc is available for the suggested retail price of $34.99/U.S. and $37.99/Canada. Prebook is February 4th.

The Silence of the Lambs Blu-ray Disc Synopsis
A psychopath nicknamed Buffalo Bill is murdering young women across the Midwest. Believing it takes one to know one, the FBI sends Agent Clarice Starling (Foster) to interview a demented prisoner who may provide clues to the killer’s actions. That prisoner is psychiatrist Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Hopkins), a brilliant, diabolical cannibal who agrees to help Starling only if she’ll feed his morbid curiosity with details about her own complicated life. As their relationship develops, Starling is forced to confront not only her own hidden demons but also an evil so powerful that she may not have the courage – or strength – to stop it!

Blu-ray Disc Special Features
The Silence Of The Lambs bonus features include:
o Breaking The Silence Feature
o Understanding the Madness Feature
o Inside The Labyrinth: Making The Silence Of The Lambs documentary
o The Silence Of The Lambs: Page To Screen two-part documentary
§ A Wealth Of Talent
§ Preparation And Authenticity
o Scoring The Silence featurette
o Original 1991 “Making of” featurette
o Deleted Scenes
§ Clarice Meets Lecter
§ Clarice on the Firing Range
§ Ardelia find a Newspaper Article
§ Clarice at a Storage Unit (Excerpts)
§ John Douglas at Quantico
§ Second Meeting (Excerpts)
§ Clarice Gets Her Gun
§ Crawford and Clarice (Excerpts)
§ Clarice Reviews Phony Deal
§ Third Meeting (Excerpts)
§ Buffalo Bill Sews (Excerpts)
§ Clifton Taunts Lecter (Excerpts)
§ Kack Crawford at Johns Hopkins
§ Krendler Discovers Phony Deal
§ Clarice Meets Barney
§ Lecter’s Escape
§ Clarice Gets Suspended
§ Clarice’s Decision
§ Inside Buffalo Bill’s Lair
§ Mr. Bimmel and the Birds
§ Buffalo Bill and Clarice (Excerpts)
§ Lecter’s Phone Call
o Outtakes Reel
o Anthony Hopkins Phone Message (audio only)
o TV Spots
§ Mind Against Mind
§ Clue For Clue
§ Only Hope
§ Hangs In The Balance
§ Teacher
§ FBI
§ Rookie
§ Bookwing Flap Teaser
o Theatrical Trailer
o Teaser Trailer

The Silence of the Lambs Blu-ray Disc
DVD Price: $34.99 U.S. / $37.99 Canada
Prebook Date: February 4, 2009
Street Date: March 3, 2009
Catalog Number: M107151
Rating: R
Screen Format: Widescreen
Audio Features: English 5.1 DTS Master Audio, Spanish and French Dolby Digital
Subtitles: Spanish, French, Korean, Cantonese and Mandarin
Closed Captioned: Yes

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted January 17 2009 - 03:12 AM

This film is one of my TOP 10 Favorites & will always be repurchased in each new format & each new "Better" version. Posted Image (Better being how I define Better)
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,319 posts

Posted January 17 2009 - 06:41 AM

I take it still no Criterion commentary of course. Do you think Criterion is asking a ridiculous price to license or you think nobody bothered to inquire?
Rolando Avendano

My Collection

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted January 17 2009 - 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando
I take it still no Criterion commentary of course. Do you think Criterion is asking a ridiculous price to license or you think nobody bothered to inquire?

Not according to the specs info on BluRay.com. I'll have to keep my Criterion DVD around until will either get the Criterion commentary on a BD or someone else does a commentary.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   ChristianLiemke

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted January 28 2009 - 12:38 AM

So we get two new featurettes in HD?!? But were are the 53 minutes of interviews with Jodie Foster and Jonathan Demme from the "2-DVD Collector's Edition"?

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted January 28 2009 - 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianLiemke
So we get two new featurettes in HD?!? But were are the 53 minutes of interviews with Jodie Foster and Jonathan Demme from the "2-DVD Collector's Edition"?
I'm assuming those are part of either or both of the new featurettes.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Danny_N

Danny_N

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted February 23 2009 - 05:17 AM

Has this been cancelled or postponed? It is supposed to come out next week but Amazon doesn't list it as a pre-order.

#8 of 29 ONLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,322 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted February 23 2009 - 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_N
Has this been cancelled or postponed? It is supposed to come out next week but Amazon doesn't list it as a pre-order.

Yeah scary .. I just noticed it was pulled from amazon.com also... this is odd and VERY last minute.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   RDarrylR

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted February 23 2009 - 06:36 AM

It is still showing up for March 3 on Amazon.ca, DVD Empire, and Columbia House at least.

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted February 23 2009 - 06:44 AM

I have an order placed with DVD Pacific, so I've got my fingers crossed.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted February 23 2009 - 07:00 AM

It's reported as shipping from non-Amazon online stores, FWIW.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted February 23 2009 - 11:32 AM

someone at Avs already has it in hand
not to excited (or surprised given the lack of caring by many studios these days) by his comments

Quote:
My copy arrived today....First thing i checked was the back cover which states it's an MPEG2 encode release. ( yuck )

Interesting....I feel they have DNRed away grain and fine detail...It still looks ok and many will find it acceptable but i feel it's lost the finer detail which should be present in HD films on Blu Ray.

Check out the trailer which is in AVC HD....More fine detail ( more grain than was probably present in the actual film print ) - I feel the trailer actually blows away the film on the disc in regards to fine detail and just looking like proper film even though it most likely has stronger grain than was present in the actual film print release.
Now it could be the trailer has also had slight sharpening applied but there is no denying the grain removal on the main feature.

This release reminds me of the movie The Descent....The MPEG2 edition has been degrained although still looks ok just nowhere near as good as the AVC encoded grain edition. ( Xylon can make a comparison thread from this one )

Disappointing to say the least and i think i'm going to be selling my copy....It just looks too smooth but i'm figuring they thought most people would be turned off by the grain. It's amazing that classic fabulous films like this get such bad treatment and i am really disappointed.

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted February 23 2009 - 01:27 PM

urgh

Quote:
OK, I lucked out and found this on the shelf at a video store for rental. After skipping through the blu-ray comparing it with the last dvd release this afternoon, I think FoxyMulder actually understated how poor the new blu-ray transfer is, especially when compared to the (last MGM) dvd release.

The color saturation is significantly toned down and leans more towards cool blues on the blu-ray compared to the warmer and much more natural colors of the dvd. Fleshtones take on a cool, almost pallid look on the blu-ray version. More importantly, significant fine detail has been lost compared to previous dvd releases (including the old non-anamorphic Criterion dvd), no doubt due to digital noise reduction/smoothing.

I can't do screen caps but a good example is comparing the beginning of Chapters 3 and 5 (both the dvd and blu-ray are chapter marked at the same spots through the film) where you can directly compare a portrait framed shot of Dr. Chilton talking while holding a pen and an extreme closeup of Jack Crawford's face between the blu-ray and dvd. Yes, film grain is "washed" away along with the tiny details in the actor's faces.

The color timing changes on the blu-ray work to some extent in shots such as the Lecter prison scenes where the feeling of the cold, damp surroundings in Lecter's cell is better conveyed, but for much of the rest of the movie, especially well lit or daylight scenes, everything simply looks unnaturally desaturated.

Of course, the added resolution of blu-ray over dvd on larger screens will bring out the drawback of the dvds smaller resolution, but imo, I preferred the dvd over the blu-ray by a wide margin on a 1080p 50" screen using a crappy old Toshiba 6200 dvd player (vs the Panny BD30).

A very disappointing no buy for me.

T.B.

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted February 24 2009 - 12:52 AM

There are also several comments from AVS saying it's not that bad:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee K
This looks way better than the DVD.

It sounds DRAMATICALLY better.

Totally worth a buy. It could be better, but it's no Dumb & Dumber. There are a lot of spots where the focus is off and on but that's not a transfer problem, its a focusing issue (closeups of Crawford are a prime example).

I wish they would have nailed this on the first attempt, but I'm sure we'll get a totally redone version in the future. For me, the sound makes it totally worth the upgrade. Picture quality is just an added bonus.

Visually, in terms of visual levels and color... the original DVD is still the best (this BD kills it in the resolution department though). The basement scenes with Lecter are way too bright on the remastered DVD and this new BD and the skin tones have some gray areas (looks like a gamma issue) to them which is kind of irritating.

This is one of the best movies of all time EASILY -- and skipping this one for any reason is just pretentious. Enjoy the movie and stop trying to be elite -- I noticed none of you mentioned the sound either, which was pretty funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe
I doubt MGM/Fox applied additional DNR for the BD release. I've seen the movie a few times in HD on HBO and HDNet and it had a slightly smoothed look everytime. Just the way the current master is I suppose.

Some of the AVS regulars like to exaggerate flaws. It's quite telling that these guys don't provide screenshots.

10 to 1 that when we do see screenshots, the whole "washed away" and "no fine detail" comments will have proven to be wildly overblown.

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted February 24 2009 - 12:54 AM

I've read a review of the German release over at Area-DVD. While the disc is different contentwise (no extras apart from the trailer) it also features an MPEG2 encode, and unfortunately the review pretty much confirms everything quoted for the US release in MatS' posts. Posted Image

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Danny_N

Danny_N

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted February 24 2009 - 05:23 AM

Does anybody know for sure if the Canadian release is going to be identical to the US release? The press release makes it sound that it will be but if I look at the listing at DVDBoxoffice (where I have an account) the Canadian release is going to be identical to the German one, ie no extras apart from a trailer.

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted February 27 2009 - 01:43 PM

beaver review
The Silence of the Lambs Blu-ray - Jodie Foster Anthony Hopkins

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted February 27 2009 - 03:56 PM

Nice looking BD there, if perhaps not completely perfect. Think I'll be picking this one up on release week (or so).

BTW, checking through the differences (in extras) between the various releases, looks like I should still keep the old Criterion DVD around as expected. Maybe I'll go ahead and sell the more recent 2-disc MGM CE DVD though.

Thanks for the link, Mat.

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Josh Pounds

Josh Pounds

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted March 03 2009 - 09:43 PM

Picked this up at Wal-Mart today.

Very pleased with this release -- this is the best I've seen this movie look ever.

It is interesting to me why this release was delayed as much as it was. I'm assuming the MPEG2 transfer used on this disc was originally completed when the disc was slated to be released in 2007. Despite the fact that this might be an old encode, it still tip-top. There are not any distracting image artifacts and there is good detail throughout, except for a few scenes I suspect were shot different than the rest of the film (most notably the scenes shot from the air).

No complaints about the audio, either. There is minimal surround use, and everything is tasteful and atmospheric.

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted March 05 2009 - 04:24 AM

I haven't watched this yet, but the DVD beaver screenshots show grain in each one (despite the yelling going on at another forum that it's been DNR'd away) - although one image seemed it might have had some compression issues - however, will this be visible during motion or real world viewing? I doubt it. On my 60" display at 1080p/24, I often don't see some of the minor compression problems that are visible in screenshots.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow