Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Steve Jobs to take medical leave of absence until June

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,899 posts

Posted January 14 2009 - 08:49 AM

I just saw it flash on a Bloomberg terminal, it hasn't made it to the usual Mac sites yet, but will.

Hope he will be OK.
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted January 14 2009 - 09:01 AM

I think Tim Cook, while lacking Jobs' charisma, is more than competent enough to lead the company in his absence.

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,069 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted January 14 2009 - 09:03 AM

It's all over Techmeme now.

Cook leading the company behind the scenes and a Jony Ives/Phil duo presenting at special events would be a good match IMO. I still think the issue is deeper than Steve is letting on but I hope he makes a full recovery!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,899 posts

Posted January 14 2009 - 09:10 AM

The Apple press release of Steve's letter.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted January 14 2009 - 09:54 AM

The business can muddle through, I expect, but I wonder how much of an influence Steve was on the look and feel of everything. If he was the genius behind the designs, this could go badly. If on the other hand there are craftspeople who are behind the scenes in making the iPod look spectacular and such, then I am optimistic Apple can survive with its style intact.

Update: I heard on NPR driving home that there's another guy who is to thank for the designs (the look) of all the Apple products, so, the aesthetic should remain intact even if Jobs does not return.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,387 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 14 2009 - 10:12 AM

A five-month leave of absense is nothing from a business standpoint. Whatever products are being unveiled in June are almost certainly well on their way to completion.

This announcement is going to do a number on the stock price initially, but (assuming he doesn't take a turn for the worse) will be beneficial in the long run. If Cook avoids any major mis-steps, then future health scares will be less scary to investors because they'll know Apple will have continuity of leadership.

If Jobs ever leaves permanently, you'll start to see the effects a year or two down the line, once the projects he was involved with have been cycled out into the market and the projects developed without him come to the fore.

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted January 14 2009 - 01:35 PM

Quote:
there's another guy who is to thank for the designs (the look) of all the Apple products
That's the aforementioned Jony Ive (not "Ives"), although giving sole credit to any single person is often dicey. Ive has a design team, Jobs gets his say, etc.

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,899 posts

Posted January 14 2009 - 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_B
The business can muddle through, I expect, but I wonder how much of an influence Steve was on the look and feel of everything. If he was the genius behind the designs, this could go badly. If on the other hand there are craftspeople who are behind the scenes in making the iPod look spectacular and such, then I am optimistic Apple can survive with its style intact.
Jobs main role as I understand it is to be the Dr. No of Apple, as in: "No this product isn't insanely great, we won't release it" or "Yeah maybe you have something there, but it needs to be ten times better before it is done." or "No we don't need features X, Y & Z" (Apple's biggest advantage over say Microsoft in the OS game is that they never succumbed to feature-itis -- Microsoft on the other hand is a terminal patient.)

Some good news from the NY Times:
Quote:
Two people who are familiar with Mr. Jobs’s current medical treatment said he was not suffering from a recurrence of cancer, but a condition that was preventing his body from absorbing food. Doctors have also advised him to cut down on stress, which may be making the problem worse, these people said.

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,069 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted January 15 2009 - 01:37 AM

NYT's article on it wraps it up pretty well:
http://www.nytimes.c....pagewanted=all
Quote:
In his letter, Mr. Jobs offered no new details about the cause of his health problems. In a letter last week that was meant to calm fears about his condition, he said a “hormone imbalance” was robbing his body of proteins and causing him to lose weight. Mr. Jobs recovered from pancreatic cancer after surgery in 2004, but has appeared unusually gaunt at recent appearances.

Two people who are familiar with Mr. Jobs’s current medical treatment said he was not suffering from a recurrence of cancer, but a condition that was preventing his body from absorbing food. Doctors have also advised him to cut down on stress, which may be making the problem worse, these people said.

I find Stone's take on this kind of interesting, but maybe I'm reading between the lines too much here. On one hand he brings up Apple's explanation of the Hormone Imbalance but then quotes anonymous sources as saying it's a condition that prevents absorption but not confirming that it's an imbalance vice Cancer or something completely off the wall such as Anorexia as some bloggers have suggested as an alternative cause. With the company's obsession on thin products it isn't THAT big a stretch, but the medical reasons seem to be the more obvious choice.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,042 posts

Posted January 17 2009 - 06:17 PM

Now it's being reported that Jobs might need a liver transplant.

This is sounding worse and worse every passing day.

Hopefully he'll make a full recovery but it sure sounds bad right now.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,569 posts

Posted January 17 2009 - 09:50 PM

click here

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,899 posts

Posted January 18 2009 - 01:33 AM

All of the liver articles and the one Ron linked above have this much in common -- they are full of speculating doctors who have never met Jobs and have no information of any kind about his condition. None of them claim to have even anonymous sources with direct knowledge.

IMO this is some of the vilest most irresponsible "journalism" I've ever seen. Even if one of them has guessed Jobs' condition correctly it is still absolutely reprehensible.

If one of those articles had actual info, they would say something like "sources who know Jobs", or "sources familiar with his treatment say ...". Look, carefully it is not there. Every word of these articles comes straight from the sewer.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted January 18 2009 - 04:15 AM

I agree. I'm growing weary of all of the comments from "anonymous" doctors that have never treated him or know anything about his condition. Seems to me these news services can find so-called "experts" to say just about anything that will draw attention to the stories they run.

Back to Apple and Macintosh

Forum Nav Content I Follow