-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The 2009 American Idol (#8) HTF TOP 10 CHALLENGE: Congratulations winner Larry*P !!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
89 replies to this topic

#81 of 90 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted May 13 2009 - 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Taylor
Gee ... I'm feeling kinda Gokey right now... Posted Image

Great line, Phil!
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#82 of 90 John Swarce

John Swarce

Second Unit

• 475 posts

Posted May 14 2009 - 11:43 AM

Woohoo! I think I clinched last place, with either 48 or 49 points! From first (last year) to worst (this year). Maybe next year I will have a better showing.

Good luck to Suzanne and Larry!

--John
"Things you own end up owning you" --Fight Club

You are what you are when no one is looking...

#83 of 90 Larry*P

Larry*P

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted May 20 2009 - 06:55 AM

Wow!

I hadn't checked in for awhile. I thought I was doing okay, but didn't realize that I had a chance to win!

Good luck to Suzanne!!!

#84 of 90 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted May 20 2009 - 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry*P
Wow!

I hadn't checked in for awhile. I thought I was doing okay, but didn't realize that I had a chance to win!

Good luck to Suzanne!!!

While I would think that Suzanne has to be the favorite after last night's performances I have to say that I'm rooting for Kris to pull the upset (nothing against Suzanne of course.) We all thought that David Archuletta was going to romp over David Cook last year and look what happened there, so it's still up in the air.

Good luck to both of you.

And, in anticipation of the winner and sending out the DVD prize package, would both you and Suzanne (if she's reading this) please send me an e-mail with your mailing address so that I can get the ball rolling as soon as the winner is announced? The best e-mail to reach me at is

rfowkes@rfowkes.com

Thank you both.
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]

#85 of 90 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted May 20 2009 - 05:18 PM

It's official! Larry*P overtook SuzanneB in the final strides of the contest to win the DVD Prize Package. I've already received his mailing information and have made arrangements for Moderator Adam G. to send out the discs at his earliest convenience. Full details and final stats are in the first message in this thread.

This was another exciting contest and shows how competitive our contest format is. As a case in point, Larry was able to win it all even though his top choice, Alexis, didn't even make it into the top ten! After Week #2 of the competition he must have thought that he was dead in the water. All the old sayings apply here. "It ain't over 'til it's over" and "It's not how you drive but how you arrive" immediately come to mind (among others).

Congratulations to all who participated in this year's contest. We will be back again next January for American Idol #9. In the meanwhile we are looking into the possibility of offering a similar format contest for the Upcoming Big Brother 11 as soon as I can iron out all the details. It supposedly starts in July, 2009 and will offer a similar format to the American Idol HTF Top Ten Challenges. As mentioned earlier in these threads, shows like American Idol and Big Brother occur in "real time" whereas shows like The Amazing Race and Survivor are filmed well in advance of their air dates (except for the Survivor Final Show). Because of this and the fact that insider information is often leaked they are not good candidates for our Top Ten Challenges.

See you either next year for American Idol #08 or for Big Brother #11 in July (with entries probably opening in late June, 2009). Watch the forum for any pertinent announcements in this regard.

Take care.
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]

#86 of 90 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,665 posts

Posted May 20 2009 - 05:21 PM

I found it interesting that out of the top 4 finishers in this contest, only SuzanneB had Kris in her final 10, neither Larry, Phil or I had Kris sniffing even 10th place. Posted Image
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#87 of 90 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted May 20 2009 - 05:37 PM

Neither did I in Position #5 Patrick. The lack of Kris in our top tens actually worked in our favor since there was no point penalty when he won. And that's one of the things that makes this format so interesting as a contest concept. Of course we took a scoring hit for naming someone in place of Kris who never made the top ten. It's not just about picking the top ten, but the positions of your picks. Larry's win was even more impressive because his top pick, Alexis, was voted out in 11th place!

And congratulations for winning the top "non-prize" for the ineligible contestants squeaking by me by a single point!
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]

#88 of 90 Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 578 posts

Posted May 20 2009 - 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun
I found it interesting that out of the top 4 finishers in this contest, only SuzanneB had Kris in her final 10, neither Larry, Phil or I had Kris sniffing even 10th place. Posted Image

Hell - I didn't even think he would make the top 13 ... in fact I didn't even really remember who he was or what he had done so he didn't come to mind when it was time to pick our 10. Posted Image

After looking at Simon's face I'm wondering if he was thinking about creating a "Cowell Veto" for next year that's good thru the final vote. Posted Image Posted Image

#89 of 90 SuzanneB

SuzanneB

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted May 21 2009 - 12:56 AM

A big congrats to Larry*P! That was an exciting contest! Hope to see you all in the next competition! Posted Image

#90 of 90 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted May 21 2009 - 02:45 AM

I really thought that you were a shoo-in to win as the contest progressed, Suzanne. Your picks were spot on and it really looked like you had backed the probable winner Adam. Larry's performance was significant because after his top choice Alexis was voted off in position number 11 I'm sure he, as most people, didn't think that he stood any chance at all to win the prize. But that's what I love about the format of our modest little contest. You are never really out of it if you falter in the early rounds. The only real way to assure a win would be to pick the top ten in the correct sequence and that's a LOT harder to do than some people might think at first glance. And that, to me, makes for a most interesting contest and why I love the format. It's always things with a simple concept but also lots of possibilities that make for great entertainment be it contests, puzzles, games or movies. Easy to learn and hard to master.

Thanks for your participation. We'll be back next season and I'm currently looking into Big Brother #11 as a possible summer "event" here at the HTF. I just have to check the schedule (it starts in early July) and the format of the show this year (number of house guests and other particulars) before committing to an HTF contest. We've done it in the past and I think that there's a good chance that we can do this again. As mentioned elsewhere, we need to concentrate on events that are based on "real time" shows and not on TV "reality" shows that are concluded several months before they air - for obvious reasons.

Take care!
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]

Forum Nav Content I Follow