Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

North By Northwest 50th Anniversary blu ray??

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 of 48 Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted May 26 2009 - 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_d
I'm not going to speculate about NBNW other than to note that the factors you mentioned are nothing more than project management 101 for a DVD producer.
Perhaps, but 1) this isn't DVD, and 2) every insider mention of the process has indicated something like 2-3 months minimum leadtime for a big title (from start of production, not announcement).
Quote:
That said, it's only May. If we get to the end of August without a release date ... that's an issue.
I'd probably give it 2-3 weeks more leeway, but that's pretty much my feeling on it as well.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#22 of 48 rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 1,997 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted May 26 2009 - 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow
Perhaps, but 1) this isn't DVD, and 2) every insider mention of the process has indicated something like 2-3 months minimum leadtime for a big title (from start of production, not announcement).

Well, what's the point? If there is a difference worth noting on managing a DVD project and a Blu-Ray project, enlighten me.

#23 of 48 Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted May 27 2009 - 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_d
Well, what's the point? If there is a difference worth noting on managing a DVD project and a Blu-Ray project, enlighten me.
Among other things, parts of the duplication process are different (and constrained to a degree, especially in comparison to DVD), and the programming of menus and such is not the same process as DVD at all. I would imagine the encodes are lengthier as well, in order to process 6x as much data. And it stands to reason that the DVD process isn't short either. I'd imagine most big-name releases (catalog and day-and-date) have a fairly significant lead time as well, given that the announcement scheduling for DVDs is hardly any different than that for BD.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#24 of 48 ChristianLiemke

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted July 13 2009 - 10:22 PM

"North by Northwest" will be available in Great Britain on 11/16/09. Here's the Cover (bigger version):

#25 of 48 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 13 2009 - 11:55 PM

Digibook?  Nice.  If only we could be so lucky in the States.

Can't wait to see what useless crap they stuff in our $85 Box-O-Junk Edition.

Death before Streaming!

#26 of 48 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,415 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted July 13 2009 - 11:59 PM

That likely is the artwork for the US edition; not only do we not get Warners digibooks in the UK, but there's no BBFC certificate on that art.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#27 of 48 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 14 2009 - 12:34 AM

Well I hope you're right.

I have no use for a toy Bi-Plane or a plastic replica of Mt Rushmore.

Death before Streaming!

#28 of 48 ChristianLiemke

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted July 14 2009 - 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson 

That likely is the artwork for the US edition; not only do we not get Warners digibooks in the UK, but there's no BBFC certificate on that art.
I found the cover artwork tied to the British Blu-ray, but I wondered about the lack of the BBFC certificate, too.

We never had a digibook from Warner in Germany, too, but at the end of July "300" will be released with a digibook. Maybe Warner is changing their policy about this in Europe?

Edited by ChristianLiemke - 7/14/2009 at 01:51 pm GMT
Edited by ChristianLiemke - 7/14/2009 at 01:51 pm GMT

#29 of 48 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,415 posts

Posted July 14 2009 - 01:52 AM

Maybe, but Warner UK has a long history of distributing artwork that has originated in the US.
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#30 of 48 David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,421 posts

Posted July 14 2009 - 05:53 AM

Odd how the arrows are pointing in the wrong direction in the title lettering on the cover, which otherwise is based on the titles as they appear on screen. In the film, they point north and west, I believe.

#31 of 48 GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,120 posts

Posted July 14 2009 - 06:23 AM

That's correct. Good observation David.

Posted Image

#32 of 48 John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 661 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 14 2009 - 07:28 AM

Are Warner films from England playable on our American BluRay players? I really want this film and will probably get it if it isn't region coded, unless it is also announced for USA release before I order.

#33 of 48 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,415 posts

Posted July 14 2009 - 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post

Are Warner films from England playable on our American BluRay players? I really want this film and will probably get it if it isn't region coded, unless it is also announced for USA release before I order.

It probably won't be region coded, but I would wait for that to be confirmed before ordering. The other fly in the ointment may be that any SD extras will likely be PAL; depends how your display will cope with that.
Film Journal Blog

#34 of 48 Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted July 14 2009 - 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson View Post

It probably won't be region coded, but I would wait for that to be confirmed before ordering. The other fly in the ointment may be that any SD extras will likely be PAL; depends how your display will cope with that.
Actually, all of Warner's BDs so far have had extras in NTSC - even in PAL territories.

Don't tug on that, you never know what it might be attached to...

#35 of 48 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,415 posts

Posted July 14 2009 - 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Bijelic View Post

Actually, all of Warner's BDs so far have had extras in NTSC - even in PAL territories.

I did not know that; not a problem then.
Film Journal Blog

#36 of 48 Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted July 14 2009 - 01:19 PM

Re: the foreign artwork: Actually, if the plane was attacking from the south, then from Grant's point of view, the arrows would be pointing north and west.

In the title credits, the northwest arrow is really pointing more to the southwest.

#37 of 48 David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,421 posts

Posted July 15 2009 - 01:49 AM

Quote:
Posted by Reed GreleIn the title credits, the northwest arrow is really pointing more to the southwest.

I always looked at the titles as a forced perspective. It's not really pointing southwest, but the attempt at perspective makes it appear so. It's supposedly on the side of a building, and if one moved to a full frontal of the letters (if they really were projected on the building) they would point north and west.

Not a big deal. I just wondered why they chose to go in the opposite direction on the cover art.

#38 of 48 Stephen PI

Stephen PI

Second Unit

• 460 posts

Posted July 15 2009 - 03:46 AM

I guess they should re-title it "South By Southeast".
Steve Pickard

#39 of 48 LarryH

LarryH

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted July 15 2009 - 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K 

Well I hope you're right.

I have no use for a toy Bi-Plane or a plastic replica of Mt Rushmore.
Ooooh!  I'd love a plastic replica of Mt. Rushmore! /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

#40 of 48 Rob Willey

Rob Willey

Screenwriter

• 1,179 posts

Posted July 16 2009 - 08:53 PM

Quote:

Perhaps Warner wants the case to be held upside down.
"That suits me down to the ground."

Back to Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow