Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

When will there be another Warner DVD chat?/Warner Cuts 800 Jobs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 ONLINE   FrankXS

FrankXS

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted January 12 2009 - 09:01 AM

Has anyone scheduled another forum visit with the folks at Warner Brothers ?
The past few years were always enjoyable. Hope the problems which didn't allow a get together in 2008 have been straightened out !!! George and his team are always worth a 3 hour investment.

#2 of 20 ONLINE   FrankXS

FrankXS

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted January 19 2009 - 06:58 AM

No one responded to my question from a few days ago !
Does any one have any knowledge (Ron, Robert, Cees) or is no one interested in another Forum with Warners ???
Warner has hundreds of titles from the 30's/40's/50's which need to come to DVD......hope to hear something soon.

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,312 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 19 2009 - 07:02 AM

I can't speak for any of the HTF staff but I think they like to have some solid info before saying anything.

#4 of 20 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,027 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 19 2009 - 08:45 AM

You never know.....Posted Image

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,548 posts

Posted January 19 2009 - 10:07 PM

Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted January 20 2009 - 12:59 AM

Oh, goody! Posted Image
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted January 20 2009 - 12:35 PM

Great news!

As an aside, there was some sad news today that Warner Brothers is laying off 800 FTE or 10% of its staff. I feel for all affected individuals and hope that none of our friends in the Home Entertainment division were directly impacted.

This only underscores some of the challenges that WHV and others have had in releasing catalog titles in a tough climate.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,548 posts

Posted January 20 2009 - 09:45 PM

I did want to comment on this briefly and I appreciate someone
bringing it up.

We have a few friends over at Warner Bros. and we hope that they
are spared any job cuts. We actually don't want to see anyone at WB
lose their job and wish everyone there the very best.

A vocal minority on this forum often scream about catalog titles
not being released and/or put on "hold." I think Steve put it best
by saying that there are challenges all the studios are having releasing
catalog titles in a tough climate.

PS: Frank, I hope you don't mind that I altered the title of your
thread somewhat. I think the new title will draw more individuals to this thread.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#9 of 20 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,027 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 20 2009 - 09:51 PM

There are plenty of recent articles indicating that DVD sales are down. Even Blu-ray and downloads couldn't stop the trend in 2008. I don't see sales turning around in 2009 with a recession that is going to deepen before things turn around.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted January 21 2009 - 12:27 AM

It's very nice to pretty much conclude that Warner will indeed still be particpating in chats. But obviously, some of the questions will inevitably be about catalog titles, or what's going on with things previously said to be on tap (like the Bowery Boys).

I am certainly not a wealthy man, and the wife and I are an average couple who get by pretty much one month at a time. But I still have my money designated for WB releases, rough economy or not! Posted Image

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted January 21 2009 - 01:14 AM

More kudos to Warner for releasing so much in such difficult times. Their line-up of announced titles until April is simply astonishing, even more so under the circumstances.

Hoping very much the Home Entertainment staff was spared from any cuts.

All I can say is that DVD sales are not down because of me Posted Image - I put money aside each month specifically for new DVDs of classics Posted Image And most of them are Warner titles.
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted January 21 2009 - 09:12 AM

The Studios need to combine standard DVD with Blu-ray on one disc. People will not buy something they believe will be obsolete in a year or two, but if they knew it would be around for ten or so years they would buy more.

Put both formats on one disc, and sell the "Title" not the format, in about a year or two they won't have to release standard DVD at all and the titles purchased now will still be useable - or they can watch as sales decline even further - people are watching their money in this economy, but a low priced film will always sell (it's cheaper that driving the family to the multiplex)

I haven't purchased FOX's overpriced "Land of the Giants" set because I would rather wait for the Blu-Ray and at $225 Retail that's a lot of cash for something that has a very limited life. (Okay the wooden box was also an issue - hey I'm running out of shelf space Fox)

WB is releasing Box sets of both "Gone with the Wind" and "Wizard of Oz" - why would anyone buy the standard version???? Just release One set with both (Charge a little more) people will invest in it, but you can't really expect the standard DVD set to sell well in 2009, esp once digital tv takes over in February - consumers as a whole may be dumb, but they're not THAT dumb.

And please, you can't tell me Walmart wouldn't rather have both on one disc - consumers are confused enough and retail space is limited

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted January 22 2009 - 09:26 PM

WB should be thankful.
SONY is cutting 16,000 jobs and has lost nearly $3 billion, amid plunging sales

http://www.reuters.c...ticle/newsOne/i....

combining discs would save them money instead of 2 separate products
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted January 23 2009 - 03:55 AM

There are many people happy with standard DVD and have no interest in investing in new hardware in a tough economy. I wouldn't write off SD DVD's yet. Why spend $20 to $30 for a blu-ray when you can get the same film for $5 on SD DVD . It is fine to include SD with a blu-ray disc. Disney has started to do this with some films. However I think the film should also available as a standard DVD .

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted January 24 2009 - 07:31 AM

I don't think someone who's not interested in Blu-Ray would buy a BD and SD combined in a package that would be more expensive than the SD alone.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 832 posts

Posted January 27 2009 - 07:46 AM

Warner- are we ever going to see WRESTLING ERNEST HEMINGWAY and SURVIVING PICASSO ?

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,928 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted January 28 2009 - 07:49 AM

Someone mentioned Sony cutting 16,000 jobs and losing $3 billion. I think if they release a special edition of Night of the Creeps and they do it right they may recover some Posted Image

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted February 01 2009 - 04:30 AM

To further illustrate the problems the studios are having check out this article with some very alarming, but not unexpected, trends. The relevant portion is below. Please note that Viacom = Paramount and News Corp = Fox.

Quote:

Plunging DVD sales threaten to reduce profit for studio owners Time Warner Inc.,Walt Disney Co.,Viacom Inc. and News Corp., and may force them to write down the value of movies, analysts said.
Fourth-quarter shipments fell 32 percent in the U.S. and Canada to 453.6 million DVDs, according to Los Angeles-based Digital Entertainment Group. The drop is the biggest since the industry-funded researcher started keeping track in 1997.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,493 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted February 01 2009 - 05:18 AM

Interesting article. It doesn't surprise me at all. I rarely if ever spend more than £5 on a DVD now, & if I go Blu-ray I'm not going to be paying anything like what I did in the early days of DVD. It seems every industry has it's day. For decades record companies couldn't go wrong; look at them now. And & lot of new expensive movies underperforming. Tough times ahead.

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted February 01 2009 - 09:08 AM

Very informative read, Steve - thanks.

I found Barclays Capital analyst Anthony DiClemente's analysis most insightful:
Quote:
“We don’t think Blu-ray is the savior,” DiClemente said. “Investing in Blu-ray, especially in the teeth of a recession, isn’t what the consumer wants.”

Forum Nav Content I Follow