Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

THE FUGITIVE - Season 2 Volume 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
443 replies to this topic

#21 of 444 OFFLINE   TheGreatOz

TheGreatOz

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted January 12 2009 - 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina_H_V
...until it is confirmed how well the music turns out.
CBS is counting on everyone who purchased S2V1 to buy this release too. That is, everyone who didn't return S2V1 when they learned about the missing Rugolo music. Posted Image
If you have S2V1, there's no point in not buying S2V2. Posted Image
Pay no attention to that cat behind the curtain!

#22 of 444 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted January 12 2009 - 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatOz
CBS is counting on everyone who purchased S2V1 to buy this release too. That is, everyone who didn't return S2V1 when they learned about the missing Rugolo music. Posted Image
If you have S2V1, there's no point in not buying S2V2. Posted Image

Oz, I will respectfully diasgree with this one since I am in the category of owning S2V1 and won't buy S2V2 if the music is the same "Heyes" score. The reason is that I bought the S2V1 set at a family member's request and Mom doesn't want to view any more of the show without the original score. We had initially thought that we would be able to handle watching the show with the studio picture and replaced score but that idea has gone south after a couple of episodes into S2V1. Mom, who is a music teacher with a degree, said "no more" Posted Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Oz
David, the eternal optimist! Posted Image I like that. Posted Image

I agree, VP's looking at the bright side. Oz, I hope you're right Posted Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary
Gary "come on, does anyone here really think there's even a remote chance that the underscore will be intact on this upcoming release?" O.

Sure....and we'll see Batman ('66) coming next month Posted Image

I agree, Gary. I'd almost sell my soul for an original studio series release of this show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
I've been working my way through the second season, and having the original music intact is fabulous. Posted Image

I think this show could become one of my ten all-time favorites, once I have seen it all and can eventually digest the excellent piece of work that it is.

Agree on both counts, Scott. As someone who is seeing this show for the 1st time on DVD, it's in my top 3 shows, probably #2. I remember when this Bd lit up when the news broke about the 1st release. I wondered what all of the excitement was about back then. Gary was telling me that this one was one of the best dramas on American TV. "When you're right, you're right", Gary Posted Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
I'm surprised this got released. Perhaps CBS/P had already paid for the transfers and the new score and figured they'd try to recoup some of their investment. There's a segment of the buying population that was unaware of the controversy over this release and they will buy this. Sad to say, I won't be.

Says it for me, Steve. I also think that this is why they finished releasing S2. There are #'s out there that are buying the releases but we all wonder here how the sales figures compared "pre vs post" music change.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#23 of 444 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,995 posts

Posted January 12 2009 - 08:00 PM

Quote:
Sadly Steve, that's not the music disclaimer. The audio is indeed restored, but that is not the music...it's the voice track.

To preempt any outrage over this release, the music disclaimer (at the bottom of the Specification boxes) now reads "Music has been changed for this home entertainment version." The word "Some" (music) has been removed from the S2V1 disclaimer.

This is simply the rest of the re-scored episodes from Season Two. Sobeit.

At least they are being honest about it finally.

#24 of 444 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted January 12 2009 - 08:57 PM

I picked up S2V1 the day it streeted, but since I have such a backlog and not having finished S1V2, I found out about the music before I had the chance to open it. I agonized over it until my safe return period was almost up but ultimately ended up taking it back unopened. Very disappointing as I've been waiting to see the show again since '90 or '91 when A&E was running it.
Well, just two weeks back I decided before I canceled my Netflix subscription to check out a disc and see how the eps played with the replaced score. To be honest, had I not known about the controversy I would probably chalked up the new score -and specifically the missing theme at the begining of each act- simply to a sophomore season production decision. I realize for fans who have seen these far more often than I have the change is immediately discordant, but for fans like myself (and Paul Mavis) the substitution does not overwhelm the abundant positives of the show. While I would prefer and enthusiastically support further releases with the original score intact-if I ever run across a godd deal on both S2 volumes, I'll pick them up.
While I think Heyes did an admirable job mimicking the 'feel' of 60's era score on what was likely a very limited budget and severe deadline, I'm suprised they didn't rescore using contemporaneous library material that they had clear rights to...of which I'm assuming there's quit a bit. I don't think this would have placated the people upset now at all since the bottom line is the show is no longer the genuine article with any substitution going on.I do hope they resolve this more satisfactorily for S3 & 4.

#25 of 444 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted January 12 2009 - 11:43 PM

My take is, I never saw THE FUGITIVE until I bought S1V1 - and I enjoyed it, so I bought S1V2, which I also enjoyed .

Then I WANTED to buy S2V1, but when I learned about the music changes, even though I'm new to this series I didn't want to buy it. So right there Paramount lost a happy "new" customer for this show.

BUT - if it turns out that S2V2 is properly done and retains the original score after all, I will buy it and then return to purchase S2V1 and just deal with it as some kind of fluke for one half a season.

#26 of 444 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted January 13 2009 - 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary OS
I agree with John and Steve that this is simply CBS/Paramount trying to recoup any expenses since they likely had the entire season prepared even before the S2, V1 fiasco hit the fan. They simply waited for the storm to pass and are finally deciding to release V2 at this point so they can get something out Season 2. I highly doubt we will see a third season release any time soon - if ever.

Gary "again, hope I'm wrong but the evidence is overwhelming" O.

I'm inclined to agree with you especially as the CBS Paramount Syndication Bible indicates that only the first two seasons have been transferred to HD (though the page for "The Fugitive" hasn't been updated since March of last year). But the money has apparently been spent on the remastering and rescoring for these remaining episodes and it certainly looks, to me, that CBS/Paramount is attempting to recoup its investment. Unless there is some further indication down the line of additional episodes being transferred to HD, then this is probably it for "The Fugitive."

#27 of 444 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted January 13 2009 - 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi
My take is, I never saw THE FUGITIVE until I bought S1V1 - and I enjoyed it, so I bought S1V2, which I also enjoyed .

Then I WANTED to buy S2V1, but when I learned about the music changes, even though I'm new to this series I didn't want to buy it. So right there Paramount lost a happy "new" customer for this show.

Joe, that's the same for me. The DVD's are the first view for me for this show.

Paul's post brings in a very good point here but I've found, along with Mom, that as 1st-time viewers, the Heyes score was a large drop-off from the original soundtrack. At the same time I can understand how other 1st-time viewers wouldn't have an issue with the new score.

No surprise that this thread already has 25 posts Posted Image

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#28 of 444 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted January 13 2009 - 02:39 AM

Jeff, like you I was quite the neophyte where "The Fugitive" was concerned and purchased S1V1 on the series' reputation and the fact that it was made in B&W, of early sixties vintage, replete with all the great character actors of that era. I was hooked from the moment I finished watching "Fear in a Desert City" and the show now has become a firm favorite, somewhere in my top three, right next to "The Outer Limits". Since my initial purchase I bought and devoured two books on the series and have marveled at how consistently great the series is from one episode to the next.

I probably wouldn't have as great an issue with the music substitution as the seasoned "Fugitive" fans here, but I'm not willing to make the plunge for S2 until, like Paul Scott mentioned, I come across a great deal for both volumes. I know I'm going to cave eventually, but did want to do my part to send a message to Paramount about how dissatisfied I was with their course of action.

#29 of 444 OFFLINE   Stephen Bowie

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted January 13 2009 - 04:22 AM

Oy.

#30 of 444 OFFLINE   Jim B.

Jim B.

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted January 13 2009 - 06:57 AM

The local independent station started showing The Fugitive at 7 pm weekdays and the season 2 episodes have the Heyes "music". So you better save your tapes and bootleg copies, that is the only way you will ever see the original show again. Paramount is so arrogant they probably threw away the original soundtrack after they "upgraded" it.

#31 of 444 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,571 posts

Posted January 13 2009 - 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B.
The local independent station started showing The Fugitive at 7 pm weekdays and the season 2 episodes have the Heyes "music".

What?!!!

Gary "ughhh..." O.
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#32 of 444 OFFLINE   TheGreatOz

TheGreatOz

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted January 13 2009 - 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B.
The local independent station started showing The Fugitive...and the season 2 episodes have the Heyes "music".
You're Posted Image -ing me! Posted Image

Let us know what you hear behind Season 3. That will tell what the future holds for DVD releases. If it's the original music, no S3 or S4 DVDs. If it's Heyes music, then those will likely be released eventually on DVD.

#33 of 444 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,152 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted January 13 2009 - 12:17 PM

Quote:
If it's the original music, no S3 or S4 DVDs.

That's a supposition that you just should not make. If the original music is playing behind an S3 or S4 episode in syndication, it tells you essentially nothing.

- It's possible that S3 or S4 episodes have not yet been remastered.

- Even if they have been remastered, the presence of original music could mean that CBS/P has cleared the Rugolo music for that season because better notes were made about the music use.

- Whether or not they're remastered, the presence of original music might mean that the music has been cleared for syndicated reruns, as they have for years.

Quote:
If it's Heyes music, then those will likely be released eventually on DVD.

Again, a supposition that should not be made, since it's entirely possible that the sets are selling poorly and CBS/P might not want to issue them in DVD sets.

Harry
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#34 of 444 OFFLINE   TheGreatOz

TheGreatOz

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted January 13 2009 - 12:27 PM

I appreciate your caveat Harry.
Where do you stand on Global Warming? Posted Image

Better yet, explain for us, why the Heyes music would now be in syndication and not the original scores?

#35 of 444 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,152 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted January 13 2009 - 12:39 PM

Quote:
I appreciate your caveat Harry.
Where do you stand on Global Warming? Posted Image

It's the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on mankind. Greater than even Mark Heyes in the end credits...

Quote:
Better yet, explain for us, why the Heyes music would now be in syndication and not the original scores?

You would have to ask the powers that be as CBS/P.

My point is simply that one cannot determine for sure what will or won't be on DVDs based on what's in syndication. They're two entirely different animals.

You can look for clues - and we all do that - but you should not make hard and fast conclusions.

Harry
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#36 of 444 OFFLINE   TheGreatOz

TheGreatOz

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted January 13 2009 - 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-N
It's the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on mankind. Greater than even Mark Heyes in the end credits...
You're my hero.* Posted Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-N
You can look for clues - and we all do that - but you should not make hard and fast conclusions.
I didn't intend those predictions to be hard and fast.

*I was a meteorologist in a former life; I guess I've forgotten how to be vague and obtuse. Posted Image

One can only imagine what CBS/P had to pay Heyes to put the new scores into TV syndication...or...CBS/P paid them so much they figured they'd get more-than-DVD use out of them. Posted Image

#37 of 444 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,314 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 13 2009 - 01:33 PM

I think it's safe to assume that if CBS had restored the original music they would have said so in the press release. You lose no customers by saying so and gain customers back you have lost.

#38 of 444 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted January 13 2009 - 02:28 PM

Interestingly on the same date, a box set comprising the complete S1 & S2 episodes from the series is being released at an MSRP of $139.99

I wonder how the soundtrack will be handled for this... will the initial releases be revised to reflect the new score, will the horrible altered soundtrack from S2 be revised to appease protesting consumers who would repurchase the series in packaged sets or will it be a mix and match of currently existing releases? Will the complete S2 differ from the individually released set?

Hmmm...

#39 of 444 OFFLINE   TheGreatOz

TheGreatOz

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted January 13 2009 - 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti
...Will the complete S2 differ from the individually released set?
I will be expensive for 'someone' to find answers to those questions! Posted Image

I wonder if CBS/P would go to the trouble of putting out a box set of Season 1 & 2 if they didn't have plans to issue Seasons 3 & 4? (Could they have that much inventory to move?)

But...then again, I'm sitting here with a halfway-released HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL. Posted Image

#40 of 444 OFFLINE   BobSchneider

BobSchneider

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted January 13 2009 - 05:23 PM

For the love a god people do not pre order this set until its professionally reviewed. If its altered and the sales come out resounding thud of failure maybe cbs will wise up and avoid this kind of release. Only the sting of a abject sale failure will make cbs wise up. Even if it means end of future releases The fugitive without its original score is only half the show, I couldnt image and would not buy some of my favorites (ie Wild Wild West, Ironside, Mission Impossible, I Spy, etc...) if there signature sound tracks were ripped out of them. They simplely wouldnt be the same. Please dont fall for the sucker punch, dont pre order and dont cross post trashing reviews on other un molested cbs classic sets like Hawaii Five 0 etc.... if you pre order fugitive s2 v2 and its got the same caca sound track you only got yourself to blame.Posted Image Yeah Im in the same boat Thegreatoz is waiting in vain for S4 and behoned for Have Gun Will Travel too
Q: Why do you care?

A: You'll never know.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow