What's new

Fallout 3 (PS3/Xbox 360) - question (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I started to play this acclaimed sandbox-action-RPG and since RPGaming is not really my "thing", some areas of the game are not fully clear for me.
I have now collected all sorts of things to my inventory and now it´s full. This means, that I can´t "run" and progress is kinda slow. Now, where can I actually sell (since most of them are at least worth of something) these? I remember, that I only saw one guy (buys and sell things) near the entrance of Megaton (first time when I arrived there), but not sure where he´s now..
Perhaps this is just a stupid question, but what can I do. RPG´s are not my area. ;)
Thanks.
EDIT: Alright, I´m back on track with the game - got health, money and bullets. Also figured how to sell my junk (which I did - even when it took some time to go back to DC, get the junk, go back to the gates of Megaton, sell the junk, go back to DC to get more junk etc etc). ;)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Have you been to the shop in Megaton town where the owner proposes that you become a walking radiation experiment? You can sell items to her in order to lighten your load. I believe that sometimes you can trade or sell items to people in different towns as well.
If you collect extra weapons (ex. 3 Chinese pistols) you can use the extra weapons to upgrade and repair your best quality weapon. That helps lighten your inventory load as well.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I logged nearly 90 hours in Fallout 3. Encumbrance is just something you'll have to deal with. Obviously periodic selling is a good idea. Of course you can also just drop stuff. And if you pick up duplicate weapons, be sure to immediately use them for spare repair parts, as Edwin mentioned.
Be sure to pick the "Strongback" perk as soon as it's available to you, which will boost your carrying ability significantly.
Also, if you play far enough through the main quest......at one point you'll spot a well-spoken, peaceful Supermutant locked up in a Vault who goes by the name of Fawkes. Rescue and befriend him, and he'll accompany you wherever you go. Whenever you speak to him, you can choose to trade equipment, and offload on him as much of your crap as he can carry (and he can carry a lot). Fawkes is also a hell of a fighter.
Hope that helps.
--Jefferson Morris

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Jefferson Morris said:
Be sure to pick the "Strongback" perk as soon as it's available to you, which will boost your carrying ability significantly.
Thanks for the tip. I´ve been a bit confused with these "perks" (not sure how wisely I´ve chosen these perks so far..), but hey, I´m learning.
And thanks for the hidden tip. A little cheat (since I read it), but whatta hell.. ;)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I got a follower in the game, (Quest 10 - "Picking Up the Trail") Brotherhood Soldier from "Citadel"
. Anyone else? I´ve been playing a "good guy" in the game (with "good karma"), so that probably helped (?).. I pretty much talked to everybody in "Citadel"
and suddenly one said that she wants to come with me (to my journey).
Together with her, we wiped out the whole slaver community from "Paradise Falls" and eventually saved the kids
. It felt good. ;)
I have something like 4000 caps now, with plenty of guns, ammo and health. So now things are looking pretty good actually.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Jari,
Glad to hear you're getting the hang of it. It truly is a great game. Even after 90 hours there was still plenty left that I didn't see, and I plan to revisit the game when the downloadable add-ons start coming out later this month: Fallout 3: 'Operation Anchorage' screens, level cap increase revealed - Xbox 360 Fanboy
Heck, I spent about 170 hours on Oblivion, which was Bethesda Softworks' previous game. And I left plenty unexplored there too. They make huge games.
I also picked up that follower you mentioned. She died--it happens.
And I also chose to play as a good guy. By the time I finished the game, my karma was so good that I was able to kill the entire population of Megaton and it only dropped my karma to "Neutral." But I didn't save that game, of course--I was just experimenting with evil.
Picking up at least a few of any given piece of junk is a good idea, since much of it can be used to build weapons later on, once you find the schematics and the parts lists. Just make periodic trips back to your house and store the stuff in your various lockers, cabinets or desks. I had a cabinet for weapons, one for junk, and one for clothes. I kept food in the fridge, obviously. And don't forget to ask your robot butler for a drink every so often--purified water replenishes health with no radiation poisoning. He'll give you five bottles of water before he has to recharge for a while.
Glad to hear you took care of those jerks at Paradise Falls--me too. I was just irritated I didn't get my 500 caps back from the gatekeeper after I killed him. I should have just gone in guns blazing to begin with.
--Jefferson Morris

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Jefferson Morris said:
Glad to hear you took care of those jerks at Paradise Falls--me too. I was just irritated I didn't get my 500 caps back from the gatekeeper after I killed him. I should have just gone in guns blazing to begin with.
Yeah, I did just that - went in guns blazing (with my "partner"). Didn´t give any money etc. I won´t make deals with "bad guys". ;)
Is "Oblivion" more traditional "fantasy-RPG" or..?

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Yes, Oblivion is another single-player RPG from Bethesda, but set in a fantasy world. It's bigger than Fallout, if you can imagine that. If you enjoyed Fallout, I can't recommend Oblivion enough (and you'll already have a leg up on the controls and overall feel--it's quite similar), but be warned--it's an even bigger timesuck--I managed to log 170 hours in Oblivion and still didn't see everything.
--Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
The 360 version is the one to get, if you have a choice. The graphics are reputedly superior, and the upcoming DLC will be for 360 only.
Of course, if you have a super-powered PC and buy the PC version, the graphics on that will beat both consoles.
--Jefferson Morris

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Michael G Jones said:
Are there any differences between the PS3 & XBOX360 version?
One article here:
Fallout 3: Triple Format Face-Off Article - Page 1 // PC /// Eurogamer - Games Reviews, News and More
360 has a minor edge, but I guess PC takes the first price ("At its heart, like Oblivion before it, Bethesda's latest is primarily a PC game..").
I still have to say, that both PS3 and 360 had *plenty* of bugs (some now fixed with "patch 1.1" - Fallout: Welcome to the Official Site ) and even after that the game is far from perfect (when it come to bugs, I mean).
And yes, DLC "Broken Steel" will be for 360 only (PS3? "Not at this time, no."
PS3 Fallout 3 post-campaign play unlikely News // PS3 /// Eurogamer - Games Reviews, News and More ). Of course, never say never.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just started playing Fallout 3.
Haven't played Oblivion yet, but I will after Fallout 3.
I'm having a blast playing Fallout 3.
It does suck that the DLC is only 360.
But they did eventually make Oblivion's DLC for 360.
They plan on having 3 expansion packs for Fallout 3.
One next week, one in Feb and one in march.
Hearing that each pack will add about 5-6 hours of game play.
Right now, I'm being a good boy and trying to do everything right.
Even though I am stealing a few items here and there and loosing karma points in the process.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
JohnS said:
Right now, I'm being a good boy and trying to do everything right.
Even though I am stealing a few items here and there and loosing karma points in the process.
I also played "good karma". I actually didn´t steal anything (=meaning the items and such that are in "red"), since quite frankly you can make enough caps without stealing..

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I downloaded it anyway, but I think I may wait until the level-cap raising DLC in March before I actually play again.
--Jefferson Morris

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Jari K said:
Yes, I finished the game this week and mainly followed the "main story" (good karma). I now realized, that I spent way too much time on "collecting & selling" junk/stuff/etc, since I had just loads of caps, guns, ammo and health when the game ended. Didn´t get any trophies (well, nor anything else really - since the game just "ended") else for that (=having that much money). I mean, I used mainly 2-4 guns and grenades, so it was a waste of time to gather that much money. But, it was still fun.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I´m planning to take a brake from the game and play those "side-quests" later on. I just have to use the older "load" (before the "point of no return") and continue from there..
She died also once for me (during the Paradise Falls "battle"), but I re-loaded the game and kept her alive (it was close, though). No worries after that, not even with those super mutants (I also gave her some stim packs, which she used a couple of times).
Yeah, I have read that some people kill almost everybody, steal and cause havoc, but it wasn´t my cup of tea. No desire to kill "innocent people", not even in the game like this.. But when it comes to "bad guys" in the game: Kill 'em all.
So "good guy" worked for me and I doubt that I play the game again (with "bad guy" approach). And yes, I simply don´t have time.
My "house"? What´s that?
I mean, I sold everything (and with those caps, I bought guns, ammo, health..) and eventually I had so much money that it was kinda easy to "pay" for the repairs.. I also had probably over 80-100 stim packs etc... So no "health worries" either (and you could always find a bed every once in a while).. ;)
But yes, can I get a house or something?
Yeah, I did just that - went in guns blazing (with my "partner"). Didn´t give any money etc. I won´t make deals with "bad guys". ;)
Is "Oblivion" more traditional "fantasy-RPG" or..?
If you defuse the bomb in the middle of megaton (requires 25-30 Explosives skill points) then go back and talk to the sheriff he'll give you the keys to your own house.
I picked up a lot of heavy stuff early on that was of no use until later in the game and too valuable to sell early on so the house is a great storage depot.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Old thread alert, after playing Oblivion and Skyrim, a friend of mine recommended this game so I picked up the GOTY edition for the PS3 for $20. Good Deal! Right now, I'm just wandering around D.C. have ventured into Falls Church (through the metro station) and soon to start the first main quest thread. For a long time, I was dealing with no ammo and running around killing bad guys with my combat knife... and then I discovered VATS.... :) Jay

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I think if you like Fallout 3, you will love Fallout: New Vegas when you are ready to explore more of the Fallout series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks