Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Arrested Development

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#1 of 63 OFFLINE   Mr. Film

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted January 10 2009 - 12:44 PM

I thought that with the movie being planned, that I should start a thread about this newer classic TV show. Apparently the only thing holding the movie up is Micheal Cera (George Micheal) having not sign up yet. But the rest of the cast has. So lets disscus this brilliant show. And if you don't like it, tell us why.
"As soon as television became the only secondary way in which films were watched, films had to adhere to a pretty linear system, whereby you can drift off for ten minutes and go and answer the phone and not really lose your place."
-Christopher Nolan

#2 of 63 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,232 posts

Posted January 10 2009 - 03:31 PM

Yeah, I read something about this as well. It seems that George Michael (Cera) has blown up since the end of Arrested Development. I really hope he doesn't mess up this film. I guess the could do it without him, but it obviously would be better if everyone was back. I does seem a bit weak that he's holding out on what got him started in the first place.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#3 of 63 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,979 posts

Posted January 10 2009 - 10:42 PM

A movie is being planned? Link please.

#4 of 63 OFFLINE   Mr. Film

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted January 11 2009 - 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hewell
A movie is being planned? Link please.

http://www.squidoo.c...evelopmentMovie

That's just one site. It already has it's own IMDB page. Just google search it and there's a ton of sites about it.
"As soon as television became the only secondary way in which films were watched, films had to adhere to a pretty linear system, whereby you can drift off for ten minutes and go and answer the phone and not really lose your place."
-Christopher Nolan

#5 of 63 OFFLINE   Joe_H

Joe_H

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted January 11 2009 - 04:26 AM

This is pretty ironic timing because I just watched the entire series for the first time last week... and then on Thursday Palm had a presentation for their new phone which made lots of Arrested Development references. Some of the contacts in the phone they showed were Tobias Funke and Michael Bluth, and they also searched for "Blue Man Group" over the internet... And now I see this thread here.

I'd heard the same thing about the movie. Do we know for sure that its Cera who is holding up? Is it because he doesn't want to do it, or does he have too busy of a schedule now that he's done a bunch of leading roles?

#6 of 63 OFFLINE   Mr. Film

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted January 11 2009 - 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_H
This is pretty ironic timing because I just watched the entire series for the first time last week... and then on Thursday Palm had a presentation for their new phone which made lots of Arrested Development references. Some of the contacts in the phone they showed were Tobias Funke and Michael Bluth, and they also searched for "Blue Man Group" over the internet... And now I see this thread here.

I'd heard the same thing about the movie. Do we know for sure that its Cera who is holding up because he doesn't want to do it, or does he have too busy of a schedule now that he's done a bunch of leading roles?

I read somewhere that they don't really know why. It could be all of the above. But he would be one of the easiest characters to write of. George Micheal went to collage, easy as that. But it would be nice to have him back.
-Christopher Nolan

#7 of 63 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,317 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 11 2009 - 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_H
Do we know for sure that its Cera who is holding up because he doesn't want to do it, or does he have too busy of a schedule now that he's done a bunch of leading roles?
No. The story I saw said they weren't going to reveal the 'hold out'. Maybe it is Michael Cera or maybe it isn't but it's a guess either way.

#8 of 63 OFFLINE   Joe_H

Joe_H

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted January 11 2009 - 05:56 AM

That's true, though thinking about it now I also saw an article that said Cera and Arnett were the last two holdouts so they asked Hurwitz who said that Will Arnett really wanted to do it, so that was a clue or something.

Edit: http://www.movieweb..../NEwtzEAwsSHdAz

#9 of 63 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,979 posts

Posted January 11 2009 - 06:37 AM

I really want to see Lucille I again.

#10 of 63 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted January 11 2009 - 01:00 PM

This is my favorite show of all time.

I don't really get Cera's holdout, he's played a variation on George-Michael in practically every movie he's done since AD. He can't be playing the awkward teenager forever.

#11 of 63 OFFLINE   Mr. Film

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted January 11 2009 - 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyC
This is my favorite show of all time.

I don't really get Cera's holdout, he's played a variation on George-Michael in practically every movie he's done since AD. He can't be playing the awkward teenager forever.

Well that's the thing. He doesn't want to be known as George Michael forever.
-Christopher Nolan

#12 of 63 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted January 13 2009 - 08:06 AM

I really hope this movie gets made because nothing would be better than seeing this group together on screen again. Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#13 of 63 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,232 posts

Posted January 13 2009 - 08:31 AM

Quote:
I really hope this movie gets made because nothing would be better than seeing this group together on screen again.

As much as I would like to see everyone back, George Michael is by far not the only brilliant character on the show. So, I really hope that even if they can't get him they make the movie anyway. Like another poster said, he could easilly be written off by being away at college. Cera is nearing the cusp of being a star and I can't imagine he (or anyone else for that matter) is being offered a tremendous amount of money for this film. But on the other hand this is the role that got him noticed in the first place, so it would be kind of lame to blow off.

#14 of 63 OFFLINE   Mr. Film

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted January 13 2009 - 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillG
As much as I would like to see everyone back, George Michael is by far not the only brilliant character on the show. So, I really hope that even if they can't get him they make the movie anyway. Like another poster said, he could easilly be written off by being away at college. Cera is nearing the cusp of being a star and I can't imagine he (or anyone else for that matter) is being offered a tremendous amount of money for this film. But on the other hand this is the role that got him noticed in the first place, so it would be kind of lame to blow off.

I think that even with out George Micheal the movie will be made. Ether way this movie will be gold.
-Christopher Nolan

#15 of 63 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted January 13 2009 - 01:41 PM

I love the George Michael character, but if he's the ONLY one not coming back the movie will be just fine without him. Hell, as long as you have Gob and Buster this movie is gold. Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#16 of 63 OFFLINE   Mr. Film

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted January 13 2009 - 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent M
I love the George Michael character, but if he's the ONLY one not coming back the movie will be just fine without him. Hell, as long as you have Gob and Buster this movie is gold. Posted Image

Yeah the two best characters. Buster is my avatar on Blu Ray.com.Posted Image
-Christopher Nolan

#17 of 63 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted January 13 2009 - 03:23 PM

During interviews, etc., Cera always seemed pretty down about a movie - saying he'd rather leave it as it is and the DVDs should be enough for people. Even if he doesn't think the movie will be good, with the original creators and cast involved, it doesn't seem like a good enough reason to not do it. So my reasoning has it as more of a "don't want to be typecast" thing though as others have mentioned, he plays similar characters in everything anyway. He also seems pretty busy, but I imagine if he wanted to do it, he'd be able to make the time.

As far as writing out the George Michael character goes, I hope they go the opposite route. It'd be pretty damn hilarious and it'd also fit in with the show's use of self referential humor if they completely recasted the character. Hell, they can even include a few digs at Cera if they really felt he was being a diva or whatever. Posted Image
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#18 of 63 OFFLINE   Phil_O

Phil_O

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted January 14 2009 - 03:53 PM

The grandma is in 90210 right now. Hopefully she'll be back too!
Denon 3805 | Paradigm Monitor 5's front, CC370, ADP150 rear | Mirage BPS400 sub (the "Legend" I call it! - going strong since 1998!) | Toshiba SD DVD player | Tons of DVDs/CDs! | Nad c541i CDP | Main computer has 1080p 24" monitor, Logitech 5.1 system

#19 of 63 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,232 posts

Posted January 14 2009 - 04:12 PM

From the Pop Wrap section of the NY Post online:

Quote:
An Open Letter to Michael Cera
Posted by Jarett Wieselman at 1:21 PM on January 14, 2009

Wrapped under: Movies

Dear Michael,
Big congrats on all the post "Arrested Development" fame -- you deserve it. Just wondering if you're familiar with the expression, "don't forget where you came from?" or "never bite the hand that feeds you?" Cuz here's the thing -- your decision to remain uncommitted to the upcoming "AD" movie is unacceptable. Here's why.

As Jason Bateman said at a press conference today,"Michael is clearly the guy that has come out of 'Arrested' with a very big plate, so I think he's trying to really give some responsible thought to what makes sense for him to do with his career. The guy is 20 years old and I'm sure he doesn't want to screw up this opportunity."

And while I understand that, you are not Brad Pitt. You are not Julia Roberts. Heck, you are not even George Michael, the singer-songwriter. You are Michael Cera, a very talented actor whose success is directly derived from A) choosing smart projects and B) the loyal fan base you established during your time on the Fox sitcom.

So when talk turns to making the right choices for your future, I can guarantee that not starring in the movie will have a much greater impact on your career than if you do. I will never be able to forgive you should you opt out of the feature film and I feel comfortable saying the same for every other "AD" fan out there. We supported that show for three years and this is the thanks we get? I know you've got a lot of choices in front of you, but deciding whether to be a part of this film is easy.

You read the inevitably brilliant script -- which can't be written until you opt in or out, so make a choice -- take the paycheck and reunite with your old family. It's the right thing to do, and for three seasons I watched your "dad" teach you right from wrong.

Mayo-negg = wrong
Signing on to the "Arrested Development" movie = right

#20 of 63 OFFLINE   Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor

• 905 posts

Posted January 14 2009 - 06:22 PM

I got all excited about this today, my local news said something new about AD on the 11 o'clock news and all they did was confirm what we already know. Apparently Mitch confirmed the movie toady and said that Cera is in fact the lone hold out. I'm trying to find some type of link somewhere in internet land.
I can not wait for this movie.

If they do make this movie I really hope they bleep out the curse words like in the show. I thought it was brilliant and really made the show that much more clever.
I also hope Cera comes around they can not do this movie with out him.

Link: stating nothing we didn't already know, but at least it's a new update. Posted Image
http://www.cinematic....tory-revealed/
"Do you think the average stormtrooper knows how to install a toilet main"?

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow