Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Thoughts on NAD quality

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Lars Larsen

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted January 10 2009 - 11:42 AM

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my old Denon AVR-600RD ProLogic receiver this year. One of the candidates I've considered is NAD. However, some people seem to have experienced quality issues with NAD receivers in the past, but how does it look these days? Is NAD generally considered a more unreliable brand than, say, Denon or Yamaha? How is the physical build quality (buttons, switches, dials etc.) compared to Denon (which I know)?

Thanks.
Yamaha RX-V765, DALI Ikon 2 Mk 2, SVS SB12-Plus, Sonos, Synology 209j, PS3, Antec Fusion HTPC 500GB, MediaPortal

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Tom.K

Tom.K

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted January 21 2009 - 11:20 AM

Lars,
I bought a NAD integrated amplifier 3155 back in the '80s and use it every day. It still works perfectly. Of course that may not help you with today's NAD products but I thought I would let you know my experience.
Tom Posted Image

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit

• 476 posts

Posted January 22 2009 - 11:55 AM

Hi Lars,

NAD experienced some QC issued about 5 years ago. It was with a specific line and they not only rectified the issue subsequent models and overhauled their QC areas because of it.

I sell NAD at my store and have nothing but high praise for their build quality, reliability, and absolutely their sound quality.

That is why I am and NAD owner. And I have the choice between, NAD, Rotel, Parasound, Anthem, Bryston...as well as Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer Elite.

Is there a specific model you are thinking about? I can probably give you the low down on the model compared to others.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Lars Larsen

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted January 30 2009 - 05:50 AM

Almost two weeks to get a reply - that's unusual for HTF. I had actually given up on this thread, but thanks for posting Posted Image

Ryan,

NAD's sound quality is actually what impressed me the most when I listened to it at a friends place, years ago. I have been a little apprehensive about NAD until now especially because their lack of HD-audio support. That seems to have changed now with their modular design concept, but I'm not quite sure how that works. Will there be HD-models available (out-of-the-box) or are you supposed to buy a standard model and upgrade to HD afterwards? I'm thinking about getting a T775 og T785. I have also considered a preamp./amp configuration, but that may be more than I need at the moment.
Yamaha RX-V765, DALI Ikon 2 Mk 2, SVS SB12-Plus, Sonos, Synology 209j, PS3, Antec Fusion HTPC 500GB, MediaPortal

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   John Brill

John Brill

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted February 03 2009 - 06:14 AM

Ok, sorry for the late reply, been away for a bit.

I can whole heartedly recommend NAD products. I have an L-53 currently being used in the rec-room with no issues. I also have a NAD T-955 5 channel power amp paired up with a Rotel receiver that has been flawless.

My main gripe with the NAD stuff is their completely useless manuals Posted Image Luckily I'm not faint of heart and have, for the most part, figured everthing out. The remotes are ok at best but plenty of Logitech programs exist to fix that problem Posted Image

JB

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Lars Larsen

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted February 03 2009 - 09:27 AM

Thanks John. Judging from the feedback, it seems the quality is up to par with other brands at least. That's good. I will most likely include NAD in my audition tour. Thanks guys.
Could someone elaborate on the HD-audio thing I mentioned above, please?

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   John Brill

John Brill

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted February 04 2009 - 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Larsen
Thanks John. Judging from the feedback, it seems the quality is up to par with other brands at least. That's good. I will most likely include NAD in my audition tour. Thanks guys.
Could someone elaborate on the HD-audio thing I mentioned above, please?

The 7X5 series are currently shipping without the HD cards in them. When the cards are available, you will be able to buy the card seperately for upgrade if you have a pre Feb 2009 version but once the cards are available, they will be pre-installed on those shipping.

JB

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Laserdisc Archive

Laserdisc Archive

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted February 04 2009 - 01:47 AM

Only just got into NAD myself as I wanted to set-up for my old LPs. Picked up a NAD 3020 vintage amp and new turntable..Boy how good it sounds. If the newer NAD stuff is anything like the older gear it should be good.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit

• 476 posts

Posted February 04 2009 - 10:46 AM

Lars,

There are new models coming. They are all the same as the non-HD counterparts except they now encorporate the new lossless audio formats and in the case of the T175HD processor and T785HD receiver have Sigma Designs VXP studio quality broadcast video processor.

NAD has four new AV cards coming out (for people that own the non HD versions of these units). They are as follows:

The AM100 card will provide you with all the new codecs (if you really need them), DD+ and Dolby THD, DTSHD and DTSMA, as well as provide traditional Audessey setup similar to what is found in most intermediate Denon receivers, and a single 250 MIPS Dual Core DSP.

The AM200 provides the above, but it also provide Audyssey MultEQ, Dynamic EQ, Volume EQ, MultEQ PRO compatible, as well as two 300 MIPS Dual Core DSPs.

The VM100 card provides 3 HDMI in, 1 out, all repeating, supports resolutions up to 1080p/60, converts SD analog to HDMI, deinterlaces SD video.

The VM200 card provide 4 HDMI in, 1 out, all repeating, resolutions up to 1080p/60, converts SD analog to HDMI, and has Sigma Designs VXP Broadcast Studio Quality Image Processor
- motion adaptive de-interlacing with edge interpolation
- film mode detection with output cadence generation
- programmable scaling engine with aspect ratio conversion
-frame rate conversion to/from any refresh rate (NTSC> -Advanced noise reduction and detail enhancement.

Here is what the new HD version of the 175/785/775/765 have:

T175HD - AM200/VM200
T785HD - AM200/VM200
T775HD - AM200/VM100
T765HD - AM100/VM100

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Lars Larsen

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted February 06 2009 - 05:47 AM

Great post, Ryan. Thanks alot! Sounds very interesting. Now all I have to do is wait.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit

• 476 posts

Posted February 19 2009 - 02:39 AM

Hey Lars, and everyone else reading this thread. I thought I would share some photos of my new NAD m25 with you.

Posted Image
I always see people with their dogs in the picture, so I figured I would do the same. I guess it adds some scale.

Posted Image
Out of the box....plus the dog again.

Posted Image
Top view. The unit is really deep. Not to tall, 8" or so, and the typical 17.5 inches wide. But deep as hell.

Posted Image
Simple front view shot.

Posted Image
In the rack and up and running.

The sound is stunning to say the least. My soundstage grew about 3 feet on either side of my L/R speakers and the bass improved dramatically. It is still breaking in. Now the quest in on for the right PrePro, probably the T175HD.