Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Freebie and The Bean

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Brad Vautrinot

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted January 10 2009 - 03:51 AM

Has anyone heard anything about this movie being released? I'd like to retire my LD of same.

Brad
From the rocking of the cradle to the rolling of the hearse, the going up was worth the coming down.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,268 posts

Posted January 13 2009 - 06:17 AM

Haven't heard anything but I'd sure like to get a DVD of this. I remember seeing it in the theater a million years ago and really enjoying it.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,134 posts

Posted January 19 2009 - 09:37 AM

Any LA fans-- there's a screening at the Egyptian this Saturday night (1/24) at 7:30 PM

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted January 21 2009 - 02:24 AM

I've heard no news about it but I agree it should be on DVD, it's a very funny film. There are many films that feature Alan Arkin that are not available on DVD. I think this is a shame as he is a fantastic actor and hilarious when doing comedy. Arkin and Caan (also a favorite of mine) seem to almost be forgotten stars of the 1970s.

Where are these films that feature Mr. Arkin?

The Seven-Percent-Solution

Simon

Hearts of the West

Deadhead Miles

And these with Caan?

Hide in Plain Sight

Slither

The Rain People

Rabbit, Run

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   questrider

questrider

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted August 27 2012 - 04:01 AM

This is available as a Warner Bros. "manufactured on demand" to DVD-R. http://www.wbshop.co...rom=availableIn http://www.amazon.co...ie and the Bean I was wondering if anyone from here has seen it and whether it's worth the $20 or does it look and sound (listed as Mono 1.0) horrible? You can also download it for $15. It seems pretty pricey for a 70s movie that probably hasn't been restored whatsoever. I too saw this in the theater as a kid and several times later on in the 80s on cable. Would love to see it again. Especially in 2.40:1. Perhaps I'll take a chance on the download in that it says you can burn it to a DVD (although since I've never done this before I have no confidence in such an endeavor because it's a Windows Media file and I am suspicious that the the Microsoft DRM will wreak havoc).

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted August 27 2012 - 04:10 AM

I bought it way back when they still had the James Caan valu-pak for sale, yet I haven't gotten around to watching it. I'll have a look at it this week.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,005 posts

Posted August 27 2012 - 09:05 AM

I saw the Archive disc. It looks and sounds pretty good. It looks like a new remastering, probably done for TV.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 779 posts

Posted August 28 2012 - 12:38 AM

Buyer beware, the burning to disc option on the download probably isn't what you think. You are literally burning the file to a disc, not creating a playable MOD disc. It's purely for storage purposes.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,226 posts

Posted August 28 2012 - 02:21 AM

In the 3.5 years since Reggie W posted his list all of those Caan/Arkin films have appeared on MOD discs, except DEADHEAD MILES.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted August 28 2012 - 03:38 AM

In the 3.5 years since Reggie W posted his list all of those Caan/Arkin films have appeared on MOD discs, except DEADHEAD MILES.

Not sure if it's still there, but DEADHEAD MILES has been available for streaming on Netflix Instant...like a lot of the Paramount titles there, it looks to be an old television master they've thrown up on Netflix. For a film that's been nearly impossible to see until then, it's more than acceptable.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   questrider

questrider

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted August 28 2012 - 11:55 AM

Buyer beware, the burning to disc option on the download probably isn't what you think. You are literally burning the file to a disc, not creating a playable MOD disc. It's purely for storage purposes.

That's what I was afraid of.